NUFC transfer rumours in the press

Rich
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2580215/Shawcross-wanted-Newcastle-Pardew-looks-bolster-defensive-options.html?ITO=socialnet-twitter-newcastlemail&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=socialnet-twitter-newcastlemail&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Newcastle United are weighing up a summer move for Stoke City defender Ryan Shawcross.

The 26-year-old has developed his game under the stewardship of manager Mark Hughes and Newcastle want to test Stoke's resolve with an offer at the end of the season.

Shawcross is captain at Stoke and signed a five and a-half year contract 14 months ago. He is seen as an integral part of their plans so a deal would not be a foregone conclusion.

Ronaldo status: Aroused

I wouldn't, being physical doesn't make you a good defender just like it didn't with Samba.... he showed last season against us that he's clueless when it comes to positioning himself and Cisse took advantage.

I want a physical compliment to what we have but he needs to know how to position himself, another slightly more physical version of Taylor isn't what's required.

Not foreign enough for many on here. :(

Think with colo gone he'd make a cracking partner for Mbiwa

Course he would. Everyone on here knows we need a defender with significant PL experience, leadership capabilities and physical stature. Certain posters would prefer a defender who finished 3rd in some obscure league who they've seen play once or twice. Predictable as fuck.

Is Kaboul staying at Spurs?

Would love him here. No chance he'd come, though.

Just I know that he's out of contract in the summer and wasn't sure if he was staying.

Selling Taylor and Kaboul in on a free would be jizztastic for Ashley.

If Cardiff went down I'd hope we'd go for Caulker. Think Cardiff paid about £7.5 million for him in the summer though and they'll at least want to recoup that, can't see us paying it unfortunately.

I agree, like. I've seen a couple of Stoke matches this season and thought he looked good on both occasions. A quick look on their message boards and they're very fond of him, too. Probably their most consistent player this season if their board is anything to go by.

He's got leadership, which we're aching for, and he's physical. This is cliche-riffic, but we could do with some old school grit and leadership. Cabaye brought that, even if he was shite at tackling. On paper he sounds like a good foil for Yanga-Mbiwa.

Not that we'll pay what they're after. It's daft how Shawcross and Welbeck, two English players I would really like at Newcastle, would probably cost around £25m. You can see why we look at the French market.

If Cardiff went down I'd hope we'd go for Caulker. Think Cardiff paid about £7.5 million for him in the summer though and they'll at least want to recoup that, can't see us paying it unfortunately.

Yeah i think he' be worth a punt, not really sure why spuds sold him  :undecided:

Would like some more English players in our team, its hard to find the quality:price ratio, though its something we need to balance out if possible.

They'll want to recoup it, but may have to sell for less if they're relegated.