NUFC transfer rumours in the press

Rich
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What's happened to Townsend, he was billed as the second coming of Christ not long back by the media.

Been hampered by injuries? Although 25 games, 0 goals and 1 assist doesn't help his cause.

He's still a kid. If the media leave him the fuck alone instead of heaping pressure on him and he continues to concentrate on his football then he'll still be a very good player.

What's happened to Townsend, he was billed as the second coming of Christ not long back by the media.

Been hampered by injuries? Although 25 games, 0 goals and 1 assist doesn't help his cause.

He's still a kid. If the media leave him the f*** alone instead of heaping pressure on him and he continues to concentrate on his football then he'll still be a very good player.

So if the media leaves him the fuck alone he'll be able to concentrate on his football? Shouldn't he be able to do that anyways if he has any sort of talent?

He's still a kid. If the media leave him the f*** alone instead of heaping pressure on him and he continues to concentrate on his football then he'll still be a very good player.

So if the media leaves him the fuck alone he'll be able to concentrate on his football? Shouldn't he be able to do that anyways if he has any sort of talent?

Those were two separate conditions joined by an "and."

I'll let you off, English being your 8th language or something.

So if the media leaves him the f*** alone he'll be able to concentrate on his football? Shouldn't he be able to do that anyways if he has any sort of talent?

Fair enough, still, if he can't handle ''pressure'' from media he shouldn't be a footballer.

So if the media leaves him the f*** alone he'll be able to concentrate on his football? Shouldn't he be able to do that anyways if he has any sort of talent?

Fair enough, still, if he can't handle ''pressure'' from media he shouldn't be a footballer.

That's a very broad statement to make. There's a significant difference between the pressure coaches and fans will put on him to perform at his best and the crap the media pull. He's still only 22 and may or may not have the maturity to deal with it. Some do, some don't but at his age it's never helpful. Setting unrealistic expectations and tearing him apart when he inevitably fails to meet them is never going to work out well.

If some 22 year olds can deal with that then good on them. But it certainly won't have helped them.

Realistic goals, targets, areas for improvement with some constructive criticism, fine. But that's not what the media supplies.

That's a very broad statement to make. There's a significant difference between the pressure coaches and fans will put on him to perform at his best and the crap the media pull. He's still only 22 and may or may not have the maturity to deal with it. Some do, some don't but at his age it's never helpful. Setting unrealistic expectations and tearing him apart when he inevitably fails to meet them is never going to work out well.

If some 22 year olds can deal with that then good on them. But it certainly won't have helped them.

Realistic goals, targets, areas for improvement with some constructive criticism, fine. But that's not what the media supplies.

Again fair enough if that's your opinion, I just don't think a 22 year old footballer should be feeling pressure from media. But then again, there are some fragile minds out there.

Again fair enough if that's your opinion, I just don't think a 22 year old footballer should be feeling pressure from media. But then again, there are some fragile minds out there.

I'm just saying, if your work performance was subjected to tabloid critique in the same way when you were 22, I imagine it would have had an affect on your work and career development.

The English media can be especially brutal though... I think I lot of their absolutely dire international tournament experiences can be traced, at least in part, to the complete media nightmare that follows them everywhere. Especially all those penalty issues...

It kind of reminds me of the new york yankees, where a lot of players who are very decent players just can't handle the fishbowl scenario of playing for the yankees and they collapse.

The English media can be especially brutal though... I think I lot of their absolutely dire international tournament experiences can be traced, at least in part, to the complete media nightmare that follows them everywhere. Especially all those penalty issues...

It kind of reminds me of the new york yankees, where a lot of players who are very decent players just can't handle the fishbowl scenario of playing for the yankees and they collapse.

You sincerely believe the media in the UK is worse than the media in South America? I just like how players like Bernard, Neymar and others are commenting on questions if they're feeling pressure now that they're probably going to play in the most important tournament for a nation of 200 million people in over 60 years. Pressure doesn't exist when you're on the pitch, you prepare your whole life to be a footballer and you translate that pressure into something positive. I'm not questioning Luca's reasoning, I just think players should give up if they're feeling too much pressure to be able to perform. (which I also realize Townsend hasn't said either which makes this whole discussion pointless) sorry about that :lol:

lol.. as predictable as it comes..  expect Tompkins in next to replace Colo.

Upgrade on Shola.. I guess. But we could all be here days writing lists of players we could get better than that. If only we could just put this one down to paper talk bringing up old targets...

..Pardew has clearly convinced himself and everyone else at the club we did badly because he didn't get his own choice of targets last year. Jesus wept this is going to be horrible summer and worse season.

Guest chopey

I would like nothing more than pardew to bring his signings in, if relegation means we get rid of them bring it in

Can't see us signing Bent. He was available last time around and we didn't sign him despite Pardew's obvious interest. Pardew may still fancy him but I doubt much has changed from the club's point of view. Not very good, no resale value, etc. Unless our failing to sign him was ENTIRELY down to Kinnear's bumbling or Bent had ridiculous wage demands that he no longer does.

Still, don't see it happening.