The Managerial Merry Go Round™

cp40

Honestly can't remember Hughes at Fulham.

Before he managed Wales? (I don't really remember either)

Between Man City and QPR, was only there for a season and the only place where he unquestionably did a good job.

From his Wiki:

At the end of the 2010–11 season, Hughes led Fulham to an eighth-placed finish in the league and UEFA Europa League qualification through the Fair Play league.[56]

Hughes resigned as manager of Fulham on 2 June 2011, having spent less than 11 months at the club. Following his departure, he said, "As a young, ambitious manager I wish to move on to further my experiences."[57] Fulham owner Mohamed Al-Fayed hit back at Hughes for questioning the club's ambition, calling him a "strange man" and a "flop" and says he rescued him from becoming a forgotten man after being sacked by Manchester City.[58] In September 2013, Hughes admitted he made a mistake in leaving Fulham when he did.[59]

So Southampton are about to replace a man that's failed to keep them out of relegation trouble with a man that was sacked two months ago by a direct rival (that only has one point fewer than them) for failing to keep them out of relegation trouble.

Makes complete sense.

So Southampton are about to replace a man that's failed to keep them out of relegation trouble with a man that was sacked two months ago by a direct rival (that only has one point fewer than them) for failing to keep them out of relegation trouble.

Makes complete sense.

Ridiculously simple way of looking at it though.

Makes complete sense.

Aye Swansea wouldn't have hired their current manager with the same thinking.

Makes complete sense.

Aye Swansea wouldn't have hired their current manager with the same thinking.

:thup:

Guest Howaythetoon
:lol: hope he fails as I’d love to see him at Everton or somewhere. For what it’s worth and I know this means jack, he’s better than all the other British managers with the exception of Hodgson. He’s practically Pep compared to Pardew, but still, howay man, he’s another dinosaur. Keep them up though...reputation enhanced, Mourinho replacement champions Savage...

Shame. I would have preferred Southampton to stay up at the expense of palace, west ham or stoke. Now I'm not so sure. Hughes is a bellend. Can't believe they brought in a manager they was just sacked for the same reason Pellegrino was. Maybe they feel he might be aggrieved enough at his stoke exit he will motivate the players.

Hughes has started well wherever he's been tbf, with the possible exception of QPR but they did only just stay up after he was appointed in January. Might work as a stopgap if the players are better than they've been showing.

Most new managers get improved results (apart from Pardew at West Brom) in the short term. The players usually try to impress the new boss. Southampton appointing Hughes to the end of the season is a low risk for them considering their fans considered the club certain for relegation. If Hughes doesn't improve them and they get relegated they'll not keep him. If Hughes keeps them up they still don't have to award him a longer contract if they think they can get a better manager in the Summer.