The Managerial Merry Go Round™

cp40

12 minutes ago, rgk_lfc said:

I was not being critical of you or your fanbase for being nervous when Howe was hired. Even though his Bournemouth body of work was phenomenal, it is only natural that there will be trepidations when he is being linked to the most important job for the club you love. My comment on opinion on Howe being lukewarm on here at best was way before he was being linked to your job and you had Steve Bruce. Again, not a criticism but more of an evidence of how managers successes are viewed by other fanbases and ownership. Which is fair enough, as we don't know the context under which Howe achieved his success at Bournemouth which is more important than the points he got or did not get. 

Maybe wilderness was the wrong choice of words, but given his body of work, he deserved a chance at an upper tier premier league club which he was not getting. Of course, he would have gotten a job at lower level PL clubs or Scottish league. A lot of it is timing. Michael Edwards had Howe top on his list to replace Klopp, by the way. 

If you had not taken a chance on him and credit to your management for doing so, there is a good chance that Howe would be below Gerrard, Lampard and couple of random foreign managers in the upper tier PL job list.

Folks like Howe and Potter don't have the old boys ex-players network or reputation to propel them. They also dont have clubs like Valencia, Sevilla, RB, Dortmund, etc which provide a good platform for managers to put themselves in the shopping window. So I don't blame Potter one bit for taking the chance, however poisoned the chalice might be. 

Potter from Brighton to Chelsea

Nuno from Wolves to Spurs
Moyes from Everton to Man United

Pochettino from Southampton to Spurs

Arteta from no one

I take your point, but it's not all that much of a rarity considering there are only 6 teams to pick from and the above is all within the last 10 years. 

Re the bit in bold, it's all about context I think. We'd had the takeover, Rafa unavailable, Emery turning us down. I'd say that people would have been exited about Howe under Ashley, but I don't think that's true either because each manager came with the baggage of having chosen to work under Ashley and us knowing that we were going nowhere, regardless of how good a manager is. What I would say though, is that in a very alternate universe where we were a functioning club under Ashley, I think people would have been excited about Howe. 

All in all I do agree with you though, there's no one out there who had the initial excitement over Howe that matches up with the reality, you'd have been seen as optimistic to the point of complete delusion to have ever expected him to be this good. 

Totally hypothetical, but without Howe being here I think he'd have taken a job and probably got to the level of having the reputation that Rodgers had - this season notwithstanding. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

I’m with others in lacking sympathy for Potter.

He knew going into the job that it typically lasts 18 months/2 years before they get rid, and less if they get off to a bad start. Ok they are under new owners and they allege that they wanted to do things differently, but they sacked Tuchel a month or so in.

If he was going to Spurs who with Poch they gave him time, or someone like Leicester then yeah, you could say he was hard done.

Relegation this season is shaping up to be an all-timer. Couldn’t say with any certainty a single club that’s safe or definitely going down from 13th down. Just wish Chelsea were down there too

Potter actually started quite well. No defeats in his first 9. Seemingly it went to pot when he started to employ his methods. 

Think the pressure well and truly got to him. Although they picked up some form, he looked like a defeated man recently. Dont think he'd have turned it round tbh. Needs time, his players - not a scattergun approach to transfers and a pre season. No way he was gonna ever get that luxury given how bad theyve been.

21 minutes ago, Stifler said:

I’m with others in lacking sympathy for Potter.

He knew going into the job that it typically lasts 18 months/2 years before they get rid, and less if they get off to a bad start. Ok they are under new owners and they allege that they wanted to do things differently, but they sacked Tuchel a month or so in.

If he was going to Spurs who with Poch they gave him time, or someone like Leicester then yeah, you could say he was hard done.

This was the first managerial appointment under the new ownership though. I think if he'd even had them around 6-7th which would have been underachieving, he'd have been safe. 

7 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

They largely haven't signed superstars.

Well not unfair and think you're right actually Murdyk and Fernandez and the like could work under a super technical manager, they have just kinda bought badly and disperately, they lack important parts of a functioning team. I was not thinking quite straight

Edited by Tiresias

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

I'd be happy for Bournemouth to stay up. All the rest have players I would take (except Everton but they can get fooked).

Billing was at Bournemouth when JT was there. I wonder if he rates him. He looks better than McTominay.

Some of Potter's tactical decisions were batshit mental. There was no rhyme or reason to play James and Cucurella at centre back on Saturday. A Chelsea supporting mate also mentioned the constant in-game tactical switches cost them points.