The Managerial Merry Go Round™ - Kompany to FC Bayern

cp40

Whos going to be the first manager to go in the new thread then...

Cooper is the only one of 2 left from the Start of the season from the bottom 10 teams so I'll go him after a couple more forest losses

4 hours ago, Pandamninator said:

No manager has ever suffered for crashing and burning at Chelsea.  Without fail they've pocketed a dump truck full of money and walked into another top flight gig that was at a higher level than the job they had prior to Chelsea.

Only a fool would've stayed at Brighton in that situation.

Even if that's true, which I'm canny dubious about tbh, how is 'not suffering' for inevitable failure a selling point? I don't think his reputation is really untouched by this either. He's gone to a job at the top level and failed, with some now saying he's not cut out for that level. Do you think that he's got as much chance of the Spurs job now as he would have had if he'd just stayed at Brighton?

I don't get how anyone can think it was ever a good decision by him like. It completely flipped my opinion on his decision making for me. 

10 hours ago, rgk_lfc said:

The reputation of a manager in football is very volatile. It only takes one wrong transfer or a couple of injuries to key players for a club like Brighton to slide, and immediately the envious looks from some of the more established clubs disappear.  As much of a basket case Chelsea are, I don't blame him for accepting the job. 

Look at Eddie Howe. I posted here the summer before you were taken over that Eddie's achievements at Bournemouth is one of English football's great stories. There was not a lot of enthusiasm toward him at that time on here. I don't know the details of your managerial search, but my impression is that if Unai Emery had shown a strong interest in the Newcastle job, there is a good job Eddie Howe might still be in the managerial wilderness. Correct me if I am wrong.  

I think the trepidation about Howe was fair tbh. We were all fearful of going down, there was an expectation of Rafa coming as part of the takeover who we had experience of as a safe pair of hands playing pragmatic, hard-working, tactically astute football. Then we had just missed out on Emary who is imo the modern equivilent of Rafa.

Howe was the club's next choice and at the exact opposite end of the scale to those other two in terms of football philosophy™ so that alone was a worry. The expectation from fans with Howe was that we would probably be good going forward but leaky at the back. Of course the devil is in the details and I think once fans looked into what he'd done, watching documentaries, talking with Bournemouth fans etc, those fears turned to excitement and we were for the most part all on board. I always say this, but for me he had me at 'a lot of you are stood still. Standing still's no good, you've got to move' during that first training session video. 

There was also the sense of the unknown - no one, not even Howe, knew that the time he'd spent working on his weaknesses would work out so incredibly well. Literally becoming one of the best defences in Europe over the past season and a half.

I don't think Howe was in the wilderness though, he was constantly being linked with jobs and (just as Potter should have done with Chelsea imo) he turned down the Celtic job because it wasn't right. He wasn't allowed his own backroom staff and that for him was a dealbreaker. Meanwhile Potter walks away from a job where his stock is high into a job where the owner is playing Football Manager above his head. I get people not blaming him, but for me it was always a completely insane decision tbh. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

The xG table I posted says Chelsea should have seven more points since Dec 1 based on chances created.

Add just five to their total, and they would be level with Brighton with two more played. 5 behind Tottenham off the same games. That's not a "big mess". The big mess is Boehly.

In case anyone has forgotten, Tuchel's team won the CL in May 2021 and finished third last season (21/22).

In the PL, Tuchel's record was Played 63  Wins 35, Draws 17, Losses 11 For 109 Against 55. That's 1.93 points a game and nearly +1.00 GD per game. It will surpass whoever finishes third this time. He was sacked with them in sixth with 10 points off six games.

https://www.premierleague.com/managers/15566/Thomas-Tuchel/overview

This Chelsea thing is incredible ... they have spent £600 million on players and so far Enzo and Badiashile look good, and not even necessarily outstanding.

The most exciting of the signings has probably been Felix but he's only on loan. Genuinely struggling to understand how they did such a poor job with that £600 million.

It's absolutely delightful all of this. The pressure to now get the next manager appointment right is immense. And it's looking like it will be a very tough decision, as I don't see any guarantees out there, especially with how messy things are at the club.

10 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Potter will be fine. Could even see him getting a pretty good job on the continent. 

He'll get another chance at a PL club at some point. You don't produce the football he was turning out at Brighton by luck. Come on, if the likes of Lampard and Gerrard have been considered talented home grown managers, surely some club will give Potter another crack at it.

The Villa boy and the PSV lad look real talents to me.

Chelsea have looked bad whenever i've seen them.

IMO keeping him is the equivalent of Arsenal keeping Arteta when they finished 8th. If they had fired him, he could have had no complaints. Sacking him just shows Chelsea don't have that much faith in him. Edu & Arteta hitched themselves to each other and it has paid off in the long-run.

2 hours ago, The Butcher said:

If they'd signed two 50m strikers and not Mudryk they'd be competing for CL places imo.

Arsenal missing out on Mudryk and getting Trossard for much cheaper is looking like a much better deal at the moment

Whether going to Chelsea was a help or hindrance to potters management career pretty much nobody in his place would have turned it down;

a) most managers really believe they are capable of managing a top side (remember fat Sam’s claims about this) so Potter will have had the self belief to go for it

b) the guaranteed £££ would have been insane. No idea what Brighton pay but I’d guess he made more in 7 months at Chelsea, including severance, than he’d have got in 10 years at Brighton 

Poch or Enrique are the only two sensible off that list and you know Enrique wouldn’t last long.

10 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Re potter are people shocked because they hired him or because they got rid so quickly?

Any shock for me is that is comes so quick after spending loads on so mamy and not really having time for them to settle 

2 minutes ago, madras said:

Any shock for me is that is comes so quick after spending loads on so mamy and not really having time for them to settle 

Fair play, I mean I don’t feel as if the players they bought were for him, it was for the long term of the club. 

And his win rate is appalling so they’ve taken the gamble to get rid. 

I think he'd have got it right there, but I don't think you can blame Chelsea for sacking him when they're looking likely to miss out on Europe altogether. Bare minimum with a disjointed team, but with the raw ability is that they should be where Brentford and Brighton are. 

4 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

I think the trepidation about Howe was fair tbh. We were all fearful of going down, there was an expectation of Rafa coming as part of the takeover who we had experience of as a safe pair of hands playing pragmatic, hard-working, tactically astute football. Then we had just missed out on Emary who is imo the modern equivilent of Rafa.

Howe was the club's next choice and at the exact opposite end of the scale to those other two in terms of football philosophy™ so that alone was a worry. The expectation from fans with Howe was that we would probably be good going forward but leaky at the back. Of course the devil is in the details and I think once fans looked into what he'd done, watching documentaries, talking with Bournemouth fans etc, those fears turned to excitement and we were for the most part all on board. I always say this, but for me he had me at 'a lot of you are stood still. Standing still's no good, you've got to move' during that first training session video. 

There was also the sense of the unknown - no one, not even Howe, knew that the time he'd spent working on his weaknesses would work out so incredibly well. Literally becoming one of the best defences in Europe over the past season and a half.

I don't think Howe was in the wilderness though, he was constantly being linked with jobs and (just as Potter should have done with Chelsea imo) he turned down the Celtic job because it wasn't right. He wasn't allowed his own backroom staff and that for him was a dealbreaker. Meanwhile Potter walks away from a job where his stock is high into a job where the owner is playing Football Manager above his head. I get people not blaming him, but for me it was always a completely insane decision tbh. 

I was not being critical of you or your fanbase for being nervous when Howe was hired. Even though his Bournemouth body of work was phenomenal, it is only natural that there will be trepidations when he is being linked to the most important job for the club you love. My comment on opinion on Howe being lukewarm on here at best was way before he was being linked to your job and you had Steve Bruce. Again, not a criticism but more of an evidence of how managers successes are viewed by other fanbases and ownership. Which is fair enough, as we don't know the context under which Howe achieved his success at Bournemouth which is more important than the points he got or did not get. 

Maybe wilderness was the wrong choice of words, but given his body of work, he deserved a chance at an upper tier premier league club which he was not getting. Of course, he would have gotten a job at lower level PL clubs or Scottish league. A lot of it is timing. Michael Edwards had Howe top on his list to replace Klopp, by the way. 

If you had not taken a chance on him and credit to your management for doing so, there is a good chance that Howe would be below Gerrard, Lampard and couple of random foreign managers in the upper tier PL job list.

Folks like Howe and Potter don't have the old boys ex-players network or reputation to propel them. They also dont have clubs like Valencia, Sevilla, RB, Dortmund, etc which provide a good platform for managers to put themselves in the shopping window. So I don't blame Potter one bit for taking the chance, however poisoned the chalice might be.