The Managerial Merry Go Round™

cp40

Madrid announcing it is the same thing as he would obviously be involved in that

Just wait for the tournament to be over and you avoid this entire mess.

members of the squad (apparently unhappy for some reason) found out. It would have leaked anyway, they had no choice.. other than to sort it out ater the WC and go another month without a manager

If Real Madrid come calling, I don't think many would turn down that opportunity.

Yeah and then you wait for the tournament to be done to announce it.

This isn't exactly hard but instead you do something which casts a shadow over the tournament for the team.They literally had zero choice once the announcement was made.

Guest neesy111

If Real Madrid come calling, I don't think many would turn down that opportunity.

This isn't exactly hard but instead you do something which casts a shadow over the tournament for the team.They literally had zero choice once the announcement was made.

It was going to be leaked.  It would had been worse if it got leaked in 3 days time after they've played Portugal.

It was going to be leaked.  It would had been worse if it got leaked in 3 days time after they've played Portugal.

Yeah, doubt they announced it just for laughs.

If anyone can do a last minute ad hoc job for Spain at the World Cup it would be Rafa.

I wouldn't be mad at him if he went to the World Cup and returned to us in pre-season.

He'd never do that though, he would see it as letting his squad down by focusing on someone else even if it was just one month in the off season

Guest chopey

Stupid decision.

Don't see what choice they were left with, can't remember a time in history when a manager announces he's leaving in the middle of the season or tournament and it doesn't end really badly.

The only stupidity here is the manager announcing he's leaving right before the tournament when that's the only thing he should be focused on.

he didnt though

Bobby Robson in 1990 ?

Guest neesy111

The Spanish FA should just relegate Real to the regional divisions would be incredible scenes making Ronaldo play in those leagues.

:serious:

The Robson situation was very much different. Robson acted with loyalty and honour in every job he had. He didn’t go behind England’s back. England had told him they weren’t renewing his contract so he secured another job. I know it looks similar but it’s really a lazy comparison

Madrid being utter detestable cunts shocker.

Spanish club sabotaging their own national team. Pretty extraordinary stuff man :lol:

It was gonna leak man. What else do you expect them to do?

Let it leak during the world cup then come out and say "yeah might have forgot to mention we signed him before the WC"

Fully understand the Spanish FA. Quite a sneaky thing of Lopetegui to do, securing a job without telling them he has intentions of leaving a job he's damn well lucky to have.

Also wondering if partisan/nationalism politics has anything to do with it. IIRC a big deal was made of the last super successful Spanish national team generation being united for once in terms of "Catalonian" and "Spanish" players pulling in the same direction. Having a national team manager confirmed as joining Madrid might be something that upsets the apple cart with regards to that, i.e. perceived favouritism or bias against Catalonian players, even if it's probably silly.

Guest chopey

The Robson situation was very much different. Robson acted with loyalty and honour in every job he had. He didn’t go behind England’s back. England had told him they weren’t renewing his contract so he secured another job. I know it looks similar but it’s really a lazy comparison

I would never suggest Robson was anything other than loyal and honorable however that didn't stop the British press labeling him a traitor a few days before the world cup.

Fully understand the Spanish FA. Quite a sneaky thing of Lopetegui to do, securing a job without telling them he has intentions of leaving a job he's damn well lucky to have.

Also wondering if partisan/nationalism politics has anything to do with it. IIRC a big deal was made of the last super successful Spanish national team generation being united for once in terms of "Catalonian" and "Spanish" players pulling in the same direction. Having a national team manager confirmed as joining Madrid might be something that upsets the apple cart with regards to that, i.e. perceived favouritism or bias against Catalonian players, even if it's probably silly.

This I agree with, the FA said they only got told 5 mins before the announcement ffs :lol: Would expect him to at least tell them, no wonder they were annoyed. Still don't think sacking him helps in any way though

Is he supposed to wait until he’s sacked to look for another job? Do people tell their employers that they’re looking for a new job?

The Spanish FA are nuts. This is a crazy decision.

He just signed a new contract with Spain.

They'll either implode or win it. Please make Ramos and Pique co managers

Is he supposed to wait until he’s sacked to look for another job? Do people tell their employers that they’re looking for a new job?

He can obviously take the job, the issue comes with announcing it before hand.

You don't need to make it public, it's a massively dick move.

He just signed a new contract with Spain.

They'll either implode or win it. Please make Ramos and Pique co managers

"Spain have named Under 21 boss Albert Celades as Julen Lopetegui's replacement following the new Real Madrid boss' sacking."

from Spaniards on reddit-

"Absolute tit."

"The coach who underachieved with our golden U21 team last year"

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

"His biggest achievement so far was not qualifying to the Euro U21 in 2015 with a team that had Isco, Saúl, Morata, Sergi Roberto, Kepa, Muniain, Munir, Deulofeu..."

"He's like a guy who lied on his CV, but got the job regardles and now he just goes with the flow."

:lol: sounds good