The Managerial Merry Go Round™

cp40

5 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I wonder what the ultimate goal is for someone like Graham Potter. Is it just to manage one of the so-called Big 6 clubs because 'elite' = desirable? The England job? Getting major club honours with someone regardless of who? As lucrative a job as possible? A 'project'? To be loved by a fanbase? 

I don't know what the motivation is for young talented managers in football these days when the concept of success is so compartmentalised, with clubs seemingly assigned ceilings dependent on wealth or 'bigness.' 

I just find it depressing as fuck; you look at the fantastic job he's doing at Brighton - which seems like a great club to work for and is very much on an upward trajectory... that he might bin that off to go to one of the clubs who - unlike his current club - are 'supposed to' win stuff. 

It's a shame but if you're going to get paid 2-3 times as much to do the same role with world class facilities and players, you go for it like. I think he'll be class there.

8 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I wonder what the ultimate goal is for someone like Graham Potter. Is it just to manage one of the so-called Big 6 clubs because 'elite' = desirable? The England job? Getting major club honours with someone regardless of who? As lucrative a job as possible? A 'project'? To be loved by a fanbase? 

I don't know what the motivation is for young talented managers in football these days when the concept of success is so compartmentalised, with clubs seemingly assigned ceilings dependent on wealth or 'bigness.' 

I just find it depressing as fuck; you look at the fantastic job he's doing at Brighton - which seems like a great club to work for and is very much on an upward trajectory... and rather than try and do something remarkable, he'd rather bin that off to go to one of the clubs who - unlike his current club - are 'supposed to' win stuff. 

It's the fans buying into it that gets to me the most. You'd think people would want to see teams upsetting the apple cart rather than being eager for its managers to jump on it and uphold the status quo. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

15 minutes ago, hakka said:

Eh? Klopp took 4 years to win something at Liverpool. Pep and Conte walked in to a side already winning the league before hand and with better squads and star players.

Potter is a very different type of coach comapred to what Chelsea are used to. He isn't a star man motivator with a big ego and trophy cabinet of mangerial success. Not convinced Potter can win the league or CL by end of this season simply from being backed in January. He will need next summers window and look for winning something end of 23/24.

In his first part season he got the Europa League final.

In his first full season he qualified for the CL which was the aim of that season and was massive progress.

Within 18 months he showed clear progress. Linear progress year-on-year for 5 years.

A good job for Potter this season is finishing in the top 4. Depending on how the team looks - they may give him grace for finishing 5th/6th but looking like he's building something. 

Edited by The College Dropout

10 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I just find it depressing as fuck; you look at the fantastic job he's doing at Brighton - which seems like a great club to work for and is very much on an upward trajectory... and rather than try and do something remarkable, he'd rather bin that off to go to one of the clubs who - unlike his current club - are 'supposed to' win stuff. 

Realistically there is a ceiling for Brighton.

If he performs miracles - he might finish 4th. Then the bigger clubs will take him and/or the star players from Brighton. They go again. I mean, that's basically what happened to Leciester, Ajax, Monaco, Dortmind - every club that does a fantastic job outside of the biggest clubs - gets torn to shreds. That's the modern game. Leicester did nearly everything right for 15 years straight. Look at them now. That's the reality of the modern game.

It's grim.

5 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

In his first part season he got the Europa League final.

In his first full season he qualified for the CL which was the aim of that season and was massive progress.

Within 18 months he showed clear progress. Linear progress year-on-year for 5 years.

A good job for Potter this season is finishing in the top 4. Depending on how the team looks - they may give him grace for finishing 5th/6th but looking like he's building something. 

Do you think Chelsea will settle for 4 years of winning nothing?

No brainer for Potter unless he has a special sentimental connection with Brighton, their players, staff and fans. I assume his personal goal is to win trophies, and that will be very difficult to achieve at Brighton when they lose their best player to the top teams every season. Chelsea has quite similar players to Brighton, only with more quality so if the players buy into the way he want them to play I think he'll do exceptionally well there.

Edited by Conjo

5 minutes ago, hakka said:

Do you think Chelsea will settle for 4 years of winning nothing?

Whats's the relevance of the question?

If Potter does a good job it will become evident within 12-18 months. He won't need at least 2 years to prove his ability. In the modern era, good managers get results pretty quickly.

That's my only point.

Edited by The College Dropout

30 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Can see Brighton going for Bielsa. Think that would be a good fit.

Potter’s possession and build-up style play is polar opposite to Bielsa’s high intensity, high pressing, countering style. I don’t think it would be an easy transition given they’ve just really found their feet with Potter’s style over the last 12 months. 

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

Whats's the relevance of the question?

If Potter does a good job it will become evident within 12-18 months. He won't need at least 2 years to prove his ability. In the modern era, good managers get results pretty quickly.

That's my only point.

Chelsea want instant success. Tuchel only managed 18 months and that included winning the CL and still got sacked. I think Potter will need longer than that to win something.

Brighton will probably go someone a little left field with there appointment, but whoever it is, they'll be similar in style and strengths to Potter, anyone in the lower leagues that is similar to him? Or maybe the Bodo/Glimt manager?

1 hour ago, LeeB said:

Shame for Brighton as it seemed like they were onto a really good thing with him. The big 6 hoovering up anything decent happening at the rest is vile and it's not going to change. Seems like Potter is a long-term manager rather than a quick fix but I can't see him, or anyone else for that matter, lasting more than 18 months at Chelsea.

Hang on, didn’t you Hoover up Ashworth? :lol:

5 minutes ago, 54 said:

Brighton will probably go someone a little left field with there appointment, but whoever it is, they'll be similar in style and strengths to Potter, anyone in the lower leagues that is similar to him? Or maybe the Bodo/Glimt manager?

100% agree with this. It’ll be someone relatively under the radar that fits perfectly into their style and ethos of the club. They’re ridiculously well run. 

Think we've seen with Leicester the ceiling for someone like Brighton. They're 4th now, but realistically they're only going to finish top 6 if one or two others have an off season. He never had a great football career as a player and it's taken him 11 years to get where he is from the 4th tier in Sweden. This might be the one chance he gets to take a job of this stature. Sucks for Brighton, though.

9 minutes ago, hakka said:

Chelsea want instant success. Tuchel only managed 18 months and that included winning the CL and still got sacked. I think Potter will need longer than that to win something.

Tuchel's spell was ultimately successful and he leaves with his reputation enhanced.

If Potter is hired, he'll need to qualify for the CL and have decent cup runs this season. That's it.

Chelsea isn't a club where managers lose hard earned reputations.  Most improve their reputations. It's not the Man U job.

Can't really begrudge Potter having a shot at a Champions League or Prem Trophy, especially given he already has done something remarkable with Östersunds. He took them from the 4th tier of Swedish football to a 5th place finish in Allsvenskan, won Svenska Cupen and got them to the knockout stages of the Europa league, all with a club that had never been higher than the 3rd tier.

1 hour ago, McCormick said:

He'd be mad not to take it imho. Not denying his talent, but how much bigger a club could Potter realistically get? Say he says no, and Brighton fall off spectacularly this or next season. He could get sacked and then that's it, done, it's over for him in terms of getting that top top job (which Chelsea is). The job security of any PL manager is incredibly volatile, you need to cash out when your stock is high.

Regardless of Chelsea's proclivity towards sacking managers, he'll be paid well, have a huge budget to play with and actually have a chance to win things. More celebrated managers than Potter have "failed" there and their reputations remained largely intact. 

Yup. When you are at a club that overachieves as much as Brighton are it's very easy to become a victim of your own success. Potter was raging last season because his side were 8th and drew a game and got boos and abuse from the home crowd. Rodgers finishing 5th twice for Leicester was somehow viewed as a failure by their fans. Ranieri didn't even last a season after winning them the league. Howe's stock dropped massively after one poor season and a lot of bad luck at Bournemouth. 

He'd be crazy to turn down the Chelsea job. 

4 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Tuchel's spell was ultimately successful and he leaves with his reputation enhanced.

If Potter is hired, he'll need to qualify for the CL and have decent cup runs this season. That's it.

Chelsea isn't a club where managers lose hard earned reputations.  Most improve their reputations. It's not the Man U job.

Worst case scenario for Potter, he's at a Villa, Everton, Leicester, Leeds, West Ham in 2 years time and he can do what he's done with Brighton again. 

20 minutes ago, B-more Mag said:

I guess if you're the type that would be up for that kind of job, you can't let the fact there's no evidence Boehly has any iota of a fucking clue what he's doing phase you. 

Smells like Big George Steinbrenner to me.