The Managerial Merry Go Round™ – Arne to Slot in at Liverpool

cp40

2 hours ago, gazzatoon said:

Agree, I hope he stays there. Probably be the next England manager. 

Shows how out of touch fans are when they still quaintly think that being England manager is the pinnacle of a young manager's dreams. International football is where the best and proven managers plan their retirement years.

Tuchel was always going to eventually get the chop as that’s how Chelsea operate, it’s success they are chasing and if it’s not instant and constant they will look for another manager and even then they tend to to still chop and change. Potter if offered has to take the opportunity even though everything screams he’d be mad to go to such a high risk job, but if you want to be an elite level manager you can only achieve that at an elite level club.

It will certainly be interesting to see how he deals with a group of egos having not had none of that at Brighton and the level expectations at Chelsea having also had next to none at Brighton. His methods are a slow burner type approach though and he will have this season only to sort them out ready for challenging next season because if not, he won’t last either.

He does stand a good chance of winning silverware with them which is rare for an English manager, even if it’s an FA or league cup which will help raise his stock even if he doesn’t do well in the league or CL or win either.

4 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Tuchel was always going to eventually get the chop as that’s how Chelsea operate, it’s success they are chasing and if it’s not instant and constant they will look for another manager and even then they tend to to still chop and change. Potter if offered has to take the opportunity even though everything screams he’d be mad to go to such a high risk job, but if you want to be an elite level manager you can only achieve that at an elite level club.

It will certainly be interesting to see how he deals with a group of egos having not had none of that at Brighton and the level expectations at Chelsea having also had next to none at Brighton. His methods are a slow burner type approach though and he will have this season only to sort them out ready for challenging next season because if not, he won’t last either.

He does stand a good chance of winning silverware with them which is rare for an English manager, even if it’s an FA or league cup which will help raise his stock even if he doesn’t do well in the league or CL or win either.

What's high risk?

You can't name a recent Chelsea manager who has gone to Chelsea and made his reputation worse. Chelsea don't give managers enough rope to make them look (that) bad. Even some thought the Frank sacking was harsh. BUt they will give you a good team and funds to make it more of your team.

3 minutes ago, TRon said:

Please tell me that's not a recent quote.

Almost a year ago to the day, when Brighton had 3 wins from 4, were 8 points clear of Bruce's Newcastle and were in the next round of the League Cup which Bruce was knocked out of in the first round.

9 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

With Potter seemingly going to Chelsea, this came up on the timeline. Thickest man in football strikes again.

:lol: mental how Bruce being happy to work for Ashley was perceived as a positive character trait. 

2 minutes ago, Bimpy474 said:

@TRonErm, a clue is about 2 inches above of what you wrote.

I was slightly thrown by the comment "Thickest man in football strikes again.", made it sound like he'd repeated it. Just misread it.

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

What's high risk?

You can't name a recent Chelsea manager who has gone to Chelsea and made his reputation worse. Chelsea don't give managers enough rope to make them look (that) bad. Even some thought the Frank sacking was harsh. BUt they will give you a good team and funds to make it more of your team.

Is a high risk job because it’s more than likely he won’t last there very long, but it’s a risk worth taking if you’re Potter or any manager.

1 minute ago, TRon said:

I was slightly thrown by the comment "Thickest man in football strikes again.", made it sound like he'd repeated it. Just misread it.

Yeah i get what you mean, how can anyone be that daft though. There's so much more to it than the stats, he really is a simpleton.

Edited by Bimpy474

2 hours ago, prefabtoon said:

Pleased we didn't go for Fofana, £75 million He was the deepest defender but was absolutely roasted by Orsic, who headed the ball past the 21-year-old and sped away towards goal before dinking the ball over Kepa Arrizabalaga.

Nowt like writing off a player based on one game 

11 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

:lol: mental how Bruce being happy to work for Ashley was perceived as a positive character trait. 

Any real Newcastle fan wouldn't have worked under Ashley after seeing how he treat Keegan and Shearer.

41 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

With Potter seemingly going to Chelsea, this came up on the timeline. Thickest man in football strikes again.

If Luke Edwards takes were a fleet of galleons, sailing across the choppy sea, that there is the last one floating

The rest have all sunk.

This one, rudderless, drifts towards the horizon, sails ablaze, crew overboard, holed amidships by the cannonball of reality to certain demise. 

Bloke is a fucking idiot

42 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Is a high risk job because it’s more than likely he won’t last there very long, but it’s a risk worth taking if you’re Potter or any manager.

I think a high-risk job in football management is one where your reputation in the game is likely to take a hit. Such as the Man Utd job - Moyes, LVG, Mourinho all highly respected coaches who left Man Utd with inferior reputations and not able to land jobs as big immediately after. Everton managers post-Moyes rarely go on to improve their reputations etc.

Since Bobby and until Howe - Newcastle has been a high-risk job.

Chelsea managers go on to do great things. Manage Bayern, Real Madrid, Juventus, Inter Milan... even Frank was lucky to land the Everton job.

I've always had the impression that the squad at Chelsea is jam packed full of utter arseholes. Going all the way back to John Terry. Don't really think their mentality has changed that much (could well be wrong obviously) and they still, as a collective simply down tools for any manager who they've decided they don't fancy any longer. Last night they absolutely looked like they were playing to get him sacked asap. Firmly believe that squad will look down their nose if Potter goes there, doubt they'll have too much respect for him as he's got no playing credentials nor trophies to back him up and they'll stop playing for him after a few months.

Fwiw I think he's great but going there is a massive risk. Poch is a much better fit for that club and squad imo.

Though you can't blame him for being interested, imo Potter should be very careful to properly understand the conditions he'd be working under before signing up. 

It seems that Tuchel wasn't given much say in recruitment for one thing - they even weirdly seemed to be considering buying Ronaldo at one point.

It's hard to know if the new owners will be as impatient for success as the old one was, but... Potter is already making a great reputation for himself.

Go to Chelsea there and make a quick success with that squad and your reputation is made - you're on the elite manager carousel.

On the other hand, fail to do enough fast enough and you're gone and likely forever known as a manager that can't do it at the big clubs.

Out of all of them, you'd think he'd fit in much better at Man U, Arsenal or Spurs if the opportunity came up and he wanted a bigger stage.

40 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I think a high-risk job in football management is one where your reputation in the game is likely to take a hit. Such as the Man Utd job - Moyes, LVG, Mourinho all highly respected coaches who left Man Utd with inferior reputations and not able to land jobs as big immediately after. Everton managers post-Moyes rarely go on to improve their reputations etc.

Since Bobby and until Howe - Newcastle has been a high-risk job.

Chelsea managers go on to do great things. Manage Bayern, Real Madrid, Juventus, Inter Milan... even Frank was lucky to land the Everton job.

All jobs at that level are high risk, the difference between a Potter and the others is they had won stuff and were big names in management, of course they would still get big jobs. If you can’t see that the Chelsea job is high risk for any manager, then you’re blind. I’m not saying, by the way, him taking the job and failing will ruin his career, I’m just stating it’s a big risk on his part and a big risk for Chelsea too. He should 100% if offered, accept it, however. 

Edited by HTT II

I think Cooper at Forest could be a contender for the early sack too, all that money spent and I can see their owner, who seems a character himself, getting itchy fingers!

Edited by HTT II