The Managerial Merry Go Round™ - Brighton appoint Fabian Hurzeler / Ten Hag to stay at Man Utd

cp40

21 minutes ago, Menace said:

Gabby Agbonlahor as a pundit. Christ almighty. Talksport won't be around when the 50-60 year olds stop tuning in to that crap.

TBF it does well online these days on Youtube

20 minutes ago, Rafalove said:

What do you mean by infrastructure?

DoF / a strategy to break into the top 8 or whatever. A way of operating. They let Stevie G come in and sign whoever he wanted within reason. Unless it's Pep or Klopp, you can't give a manager free reign like that. The best run clubs these days have a way of operating and they stick to it through various managers. But it comes from the very top. 

I like to think we have that.

Can't see Benitez going there or the fans wanting him. Don't know anything about that Amorim, can't lie.

Judging by those reports about Frank, Tuchel and Pochettino not wanting it makes me think there'll probably be a caretaker there for a bit and probably against us.

Feel Poch ought to swallow his pride tbh I am not sure he is going to get a champions league level club at this point if he wants to manage in premier league. I wonder if he is holding out for Conte flouncing off for a glorious return? Turning around Villa for a few seasons and then he is back in the picture for a 'top' job. 

25 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

DoF / a strategy to break into the top 8 or whatever. A way of operating. They let Stevie G come in and sign whoever he wanted within reason. Unless it's Pep or Klopp, you can't give a manager free reign like that. The best run clubs these days have a way of operating and they stick to it through various managers. But it comes from the very top. 

True though I think the problem isn’t necessarily those players. The problem is Stevie G himself. We wanted both Digne and Carlos ourselves. Carlos was unlucky with an injury.

Just now, Rafalove said:

True though I think the problem isn’t necessarily those players. The problem is Stevie G himself. We wanted both Digne and Carlos ourselves. Carlos was unlucky with an injury.

Difference is we wanted them in January because we were desperate, as soon as we were safe those type of deals were not and won’t ever be considered imo.

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

Difference is we wanted them in January because we were desperate, as soon as we were safe those type of deals were not and won’t ever be considered imo.

Perhaps. I think they would have worked out if they had come here though. Eddy Knows.

24 minutes ago, Rafalove said:

29, 29,30 with contracts that take them all to 33/44. It's not a good strategy to have those players as the first building blocks for a team with aspirations of breaking the top 6.

1 or 2 of them. Fine. But not all 3. That's not a good strategy.

You buy players that age for big fees or wages to come in and hit the ground running to hit targets. You do that - you need to finish top 8 this season.

Edited by The College Dropout

39 minutes ago, Tiresias said:

Feel Poch ought to swallow his pride tbh I am not sure he is going to get a champions league level club at this point if he wants to manage in premier league. I wonder if he is holding out for Conte flouncing off for a glorious return? Turning around Villa for a few seasons and then he is back in the picture for a 'top' job. 

There's swallowing your pride, then there's switching from PSG to Aston Villa...

Not saying he won't have to consider dropping to a team just below that elite level before long. But I suspect that's more likely to be someone like Spurs or Man Utd than Aston Villa in what's shaping up to be a relegation dog fight. 

I suppose Chelsea are a big unknown, not sure Boehly comes accross as particularly patient and Potter still unsure if he can cut it at that level (or indeed manage an unruly and powerful dressing room, been the bane for a few). Could see that happening. I just don't think poch has much stock anymore. 

2 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

I'd be shocked if Pep & Klopp have free reign on transfers. Influence? Most definitely, probably more than most, but both of those Football clubs are Enterprise level operations like you've described and will have worked out a business case for adding each player, even a no-brainer like Haaland. 

9 hours ago, Paully said:

There was a post —much quoted and liked— running through an Everton forum in a prematch thread that drew similar conclusions. Apparently Everton have a much better squad than we do. And it’s not even close.  (What on earth were we thinking when we passed on Tarkowski to sign some kid?)

Edited by gazza ladra