The Managerial Merry Go Round™ – Arne to Slot in at Liverpool

cp40

For all the criticism. Nagelsman has looked useless in Europe for most of his career and has struggled in the league in relative terms.

But I agree witrh everything said about what Bayern has done to German football. And that whole model.

Even Real and Barca realise that they need each other.

It hasn't even really helped Bayern in Europe.  2 CL's in what, 16 years? I think. German club won the Conference thing. That's it.

Don’t mind Nagelsman going to Spurs to be honest ,admittedly I don’t follow the Bundlesliga so have no idea what’s going on with Bayern but they stroll that league every year so for them to be not winning it with ease this year suggests something not right with the manager .

15 hours ago, TRon said:

German domestic football has the whiff of the old days when English football was quite insular. Banned from Europe we were convinced we knew better than everyone else, and that's when we had the regression to hoofball and the rise of the PFMs.

It's not a bad idea in principal to have a certain amount of insularity to preserve the look and feel of the domestic game, but I doubt the PL would have become the best league in the world if we had continued down that road.

We've probably got different perspectives on what constitutes the 'old days', but the insularity of British football dates back 100 years, when football in different parts of the world began to take root and develop, while Britain took no notice. When we finally entered the World Cup in 1950 and lost to the USA, and got hammered by the Hungarians in 1953, it was the wake-up call. It's been a long road since, trying to catch up with the skill levels of continental players, and learning to not just rely on physicality.

Ironically though, it's that competitive, higher-tempo element in British football that makes it attractive to viewers abroad. The seeds of that popularity were laid in the dawn of the TV age in the sixties, where English football was shown live on the continent while we had to wait for the highlights on MOTD.

21 hours ago, SUPERTOON said:

Someone send him a .wav of the plodding, mind-numbing, rage-inducing desecration of "when the saints go marching in" that he'll have to suffer through for at least 50 minutes of each home match. That should clear up that "affinity" right quick. 

Here's a version from an actual fucking funeral lest anyone have forgotten it's a joyful song:

I thought the Bayern sacking actually had more to do with the players disliking Nagelsmann for his Ted Lasso-esque antics, as well as them feeling they no longer could communicate openly given that his girlfriend is one of the leading sports journos in Germany - rather than him being sacked due "bad results"?

Edited by Kaizero

1 hour ago, Doctor Zaius said:

Bayern winning 10 titles in a row is a joke but the lack of competitiveness in football is quite grim. If Arsenal bottle it this year itll be 5 out of the last 6 titles for City. 

Agreed, it’s not healthy wherever it occurs - though the big difference is that if this was Germany, Man City would be signing the best players in Arsenal’s side this summer and sticking them on the bench

6 minutes ago, Sima said:

Nagelsmann has just fallen into their lap.  They’d have been daft not to act now.

I'd be worried, but everyone was gutted when they bagged Conte. So, you never know how it's going to pan out. 

2 minutes ago, Dokko said:

I'd be worried, but everyone was gutted when they bagged Conte. So, you never know how it's going to pan out. 

Yep was quite annoyed when they got him. I also expected Mourinho to at least win a League Cup for them. FWIW I don't expect Nagelsmann would do any better than either of them, I'd just be worried of a new manager bounce this season.

13 minutes ago, Pilko said:

Probably doesn't help us tbh, chance is with him gone they have the new manager bounce that every team other than us seems to immediately receive upon making a change.

Appears the backroom team are staying though - in which case, suspect not a lot changes for them.