2014 FIFA World Cup Brasil™ - Europe vs. America

LucaAltieri
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Sort of neither here nor there, but I was looking at how many teams from each confederation progressed to the knockout stage. Not sure it says anything, or not anything important, anyway, but it's almost vaguely interesting:

Confederation: qualified for WC/progressed to knockout (percentage progressed)

AFC: 4/0 (0.00)

CAF: 5/2 (0.40)

CONCACAF: 4/3 (0.75)

CONMEBOL: 6/5 (0.83)

OFC: 0/0 (0.00)

UEFA: 13/6 (0.46)

CONCACAF and CONMEBOL did pretty well.

for at least this cup, do you think region of the world had anything to do with it?

I really don't know. You figure CONMEBOL is going to do pretty well wherever. As Disco pointed out all 5 teams went to the knockout stage in South Africa. CONCACAF is hard to tell, because it's such a small group of qualifying teams anyway.

I think CONCACAF came into this tournament overly prepared. Mexico had a horrific qualifying campaign to forget about and get over while the U.S. and Costa Rica had to prepare themselves for difficult groups.

Sort of neither here nor there, but I was looking at how many teams from each confederation progressed to the knockout stage. Not sure it says anything, or not anything important, anyway, but it's almost vaguely interesting:

for at least this cup, do you think region of the world had anything to do with it?

I really don't know. You figure CONMEBOL is going to do pretty well wherever. As Disco pointed out all 5 teams went to the knockout stage in South Africa. CONCACAF is hard to tell, because it's such a small group of qualifying teams anyway.

I think CONCACAF came into this tournament overly prepared. Mexico had a horrific qualifying campaign to forget about and get over while the U.S. and Costa Rica had to prepare themselves for difficult groups.

Mexico can thank their manager, letting them play and get their confidence/swagger back.

Mexico can thank their manager, letting them play and get their confidence/swagger back.

:thup: Been night and day since Herrera took charge.

http://cdn.iwastesomuchtime.com/5312013120327.gif

Wish we had an ounce of that guy's passion and belief he instills in his players for Newcastle. They all look like 5 levels above this Cup, THAT, is sometimes, what international management is about.

Chiellini was bitten and has come out in his defense.

Feels to me a bit like Chielleni just feels like he has to be the better man. Not that I know obviously, but if it was me I'd want Suarez banned for as long as possible. I wouldn't necessarily say that to journalists. 

I think his ban means nowt really. The fact that he'll be playing football at some point in the future means that another footballer is going to get bitten. And that's a strange situation however you look at it.

Cannot comprehend the amount of absolute retards coming out claiming Suarez has been hard done by. Maradona ffs, utter plum. Hilarious that many of them think this is a genuine conspiracy & that theres double standards. The 3rd time the clown has bitten someone. I genuinely cannot comprehend that anyone wouldnt just go, yeah fair enough hes a clown. How do these people exist man.

Chiellini was bitten and has come out in his defense. It's a ridiculous punishment, ban him 4,6 months 12 months from football, but banning him from training and going to watch games is ridiculous and has nothing to do with a fair punishment and all to do with politics. It's ridiculous. Most of the world of football is defending him, everyone from Johan Alvbåge in Sweden to Falcao in Brazil to Alexis Sanchez to Chiellini in Italy. World Cup players are saying it's excessive. Why were Tasotti and Leonardo allowed in 94 to still be a part of the squad? Why weren't their credentials taken away from them and sent home? I don't care if it's three bites, ban him in official football games not on what he does in his sparetime, FIFA are really putting themselves into a dangerous zone by doing this and are going to have to go hard on every off the ball incident now. 

He can still keep fit/train on his own time.  As for being banned from going to watch games, fans get banned from stadiums all the time, most of them for less than attempted canabolism.

:lol: Forgot it's an individual sport. As for cannibalism, look up the internet for it's definition, or I guess we've changed it and all kids are cannibals as well? The ban is excessive IMO. I'll leave it at that though. We'll see how CAS looks at it, wouldn't surprise me if the games stands but the not training with teammates and going to watch games doesn't.

Don't know about the ban, but really. What kind of a person bites another player. The guy needs serious help. IMO he should be allowed to train and watch games, but these kind of players really hurt the beautiful game. You can't compare Suarez's actions with headbutting incidents, like Pepe&Muller, when these are usually slightest of touches that the other guy makes a meal of. What on earth was LS thinking?

:thup:

ain't comparing it to headbutts though, I'm comparing it to Pepe kicking a player on the floor and then having multiple offences in other occasions or Barton being thrown in prison and then getting a more lenient ban despite punching someone in the stomach or kneeing someone in the hamstring. Roy Keane tackle as an example, wasn't it an 8 game ban? Destroyed a player career. Suarez ban should've been international games + a must to seek help. Banning him from training with teammates or watching football games in stadium is ridiculous.

Cannot comprehend the amount of absolute retards coming out claiming Suarez has been hard done by. Maradona ffs, utter plum. Hilarious that many of them think this is a genuine conspiracy & that theres double standards. The 3rd time the clown has bitten someone. I genuinely cannot comprehend that anyone wouldnt just go, yeah fair enough hes a clown. How do these people exist man.

Chiellini was bitten and has come out in his defense. It's a ridiculous punishment, ban him 4,6 months 12 months from football, but banning him from training and going to watch games is ridiculous and has nothing to do with a fair punishment and all to do with politics. It's ridiculous. Most of the world of football is defending him, everyone from Johan Alvbåge in Sweden to Falcao in Brazil to Alexis Sanchez to Chiellini in Italy. World Cup players are saying it's excessive. Why were Tasotti and Leonardo allowed in 94 to still be a part of the squad? Why weren't their credentials taken away from them and sent home? I don't care if it's three bites, ban him in official football games not on what he does in his sparetime, FIFA are really putting themselves into a dangerous zone by doing this and are going to have to go hard on every off the ball incident now. 

He can still keep fit/train on his own time.  As for being banned from going to watch games, fans get banned from stadiums all the time, most of them for less than attempted canabolism.

:lol: Forgot it's an individual sport. As for cannibalism, look up the internet for it's definition, or I guess we've changed it and all kids are cannibals as well? The ban is excessive IMO. I'll leave it at that though. We'll see how CAS looks at it, wouldn't surprise me if the games stands but the not training with teammates and going to watch games doesn't.

Don't know about the ban, but really. What kind of a person bites another player. The guy needs serious help. IMO he should be allowed to train and watch games, but these kind of players really hurt the beautiful game. You can't compare Suarez's actions with headbutting incidents, like Pepe&Muller, when these are usually slightest of touches that the other guy makes a meal of. What on earth was LS thinking?

:thup:

ain't comparing it to headbutts though, I'm comparing it to Pepe kicking a player on the floor and then having multiple offences in other occasions or Barton being thrown in prison and then getting a more lenient ban despite punching someone in the stomach or kneeing someone in the hamstring. Roy Keane tackle as an example, wasn't it an 8 game ban? Destroyed a player career. Suarez ban should've been international games + a must to seek help. Banning him from training with teammates or watching football games in stadium is ridiculous.

Same again next time?

Wish we had an ounce of that guy's passion and belief he instills in his players for Newcastle. They all look like 5 levels above this Cup, THAT, is sometimes, what international management is about.

Totally agree. Once you've picked the squad, that seems like it must be the biggest part of the job. How much training or tactical work can you accomplish with players you see 6 weeks out of the year? In a more understated way, I think Klinsmann has done a similiar job with the US. Building confidence and belief.

Flip, it's not because other punishments were too light (Pepe's for example) that Suarez' is too harsh. Objectively, he's bloody lucky to get away with this sentence considering he has previous - at the very least it should have included a very long suspended ban if he ever does it again. The only party that can feel hard done by is Liverpool, because this happened when he wasn't even playing for them and probably affects them more than it will Suarez himself.

South America was very strong and it was especially impressive how easily most of their sides qualified. For CAF, North America, and UEFA the margins were so small that any serious conclusions would be a waste of time. The Asian performance is extremely concerning, though. All of those teams finished last in their group, and with the exception Iran and Australia for one match each, none were competitive. This continent made so much progress in the last three tournaments, that this is embarrassing.

Howard

Debuchy - Marquez - González - Rodriguez

M.Diaz - Luiz Gustavo

Rodriguez - Messi - Robben

Muller

All from different teams :thup:

Ochoa

Aurier - Omeruo - Montazeri -Blind

Beckerman - Vidal

Neymar - Messi- James

Muller

I can't see how anyone can say a 4 month ban from all football is overboard for Suarez. It's clear that he has issues and needs help. Instead of complaining and trying to fight it the Uruguayan FA and Liverpool should be trying to find Suarez the best psychologist they can. Let him/her spend the four months with Suarez trying to find some way for him not to do this shit anymore. He needs this time away from the game, because it's clear right now that the game is causing him to crack. And if not given help it will continue to happen until he either gets the shit beaten out of him by somebody, banned for life or possibly worse.

He bit a third bloke in four years for fucks sake. Elbows, dangerous tackles, headbutts yeah they are worse in terms of damage done. They happen to be the result of mistakes making regular actions during a game. Deliberate attempts at those kinds of things are punished severely, although perhaps not to the liking of everybody. Biting however is not a natural part of any sport. Its a desperate action used by somebody believing they are in a life of death situation. It is way out of the scope of a sporting incident. And is not acceptable in any way, shape or form in any sporting event.

Suarez is an arsehole, in fact i'll go as far as saying the whole continent of south america is populated by arseholes. The problem i have with every single one of them is not that they bite each other, because it was barely a bite at all, it's the fact that they can't see a problem with it and they feel the victim.

For fucks sake like, just admit Suarez is a cock and tell him to come out and apologise and take his smack on the arse like the whining little bitch that he is.

It was enough of a bite to embed teeth marks into Chiellini's shoulder.

Flip, it's not because other punishments were too light (Pepe's for example) that Suarez' is too harsh. Objectively, he's bloody lucky to get away with this sentence considering he has previous - at the very least it should have included a very long suspended ban if he ever does it again. The only party that can feel hard done by is Liverpool, because this happened when he wasn't even playing for them and probably affects them more than it will Suarez himself.

It is though, consistency is needed and when you ban one guy but let the next one escape the punishment it clearly affects the way we look at it. How can Pepe escape it but not Suarez? It's more of a political message than anything else, FIFA wants to prove that they're authority and can do it to one of the biggest stars. I think FIFPro the players association is more in line with what would be reasonable. Ban him from international football and get the guy some helps instead of forbidding him from going into the stadium. Liverpool gets clearly hard done and no one on here cares since it's them, but had it been us I doubt people would be looking at it much differently from what the reasonable Liverpool fans (not the once saying he's done nothing wrong).

I just think there needs to be more consistency and if that means that FIFA from now on will punish players harder for off-the-ball incidents then fine, but if this is a one time punishment from FIFA then they're in the wrong as usual.

Chiellini likely feels bad to have been involved in the incident. Why is it ridiculous? It is important that its three bites, what has banning him from playing done previously? Made him feel sorry for himself & then repeat the same behaviour several times. So you propose the same punishment again? Clearly the guy needs something that will hit home when hes in the heat of the moment.

Why is it ridiculous?  Joey came out of prison hit a guy in one game then kneed another one, isn't that a three strike offence then? Why was he allowed near stadiums during his 12 game ban? Pepe, has had plenty of off-ball incidents trying to hurt players, far more than three bites and never gotten this long of a ban. Sorry, but I've seen far worse, I'm not defending Suarez btw.

If Pepe of Joey Barton had bit a player in a World Cup group game and then flat out refused to not only appologise, but to accept any liability whatsoever, the they would have been given a similar 'outrageous' ban.

I'm unsure how to feel about the actual ban itself to be honest, it's harsh but hardly undeserved. Not being able to train seems more limiting to Liverpool than it does Suarez but it's hardly the end of the world, if he takes a month to get up to speed after his return then so be it.

I don't entirely buy the argument that Liverpool are particularly hard done by. They bought Suarez knowing his record, then stuck by him through more incidents. This is what he does, and when you buy Suarez then you know you are buying it too. You take the risk, knowing that his hyper-competitiveness can be a double-edged sword.

Can't muster any sympathy at all for the "But Miss, other boys..." angle at all. It's exactly the kind of punishment to be expected for biting someone, for the third time, in the middle of FIFA's flagship competition, with aggravating factors like zero remorse and trying to deceive the referee through feigning he was the victim.

Not excessive, doesn't demonstrate any outrageous inconsistency, completely deserved, entirely his own fault. Malicious, calculated, devious, cowardly. Just like the person behind it.

Increase it for the frivolous appeal, the sport is better off without him.

I don't entirely buy the argument that Liverpool are particularly hard done by. They bought Suarez knowing his record, then stuck by him through more incidents. This is what he does, and when you buy Suarez then you know you are buying it too. You take the risk, knowing that his hyper-competitiveness can be a double-edged sword.

Of course you don't, it's bollocks.

It's not though really, is it? They pay his wages. The Uruguayan FA get to call him up for an international tournament that makes the organisers, and by consequence them, millions. He acts like an arse playing for the association, and gets banned from playing not only internationally but also for the club, who are the ones who continue to shell out his wages (approx. 3 million). I agree with the sentence btw (including the 4 month ban from all football activities), but if this was an important Newcastle player I would be livid at the player first and foremost for acting the way he did, but also FIFA for handing out a punishment that hits us harder than the association that called him up in the first place.

He's acted like a football hooligan and is being treat like a football hooligan. For what he's done (3 times) to his punishment, he's actually got off very lightly. People see jail for less.

It's not though really, is it? They pay his wages. The Uruguayan FA get to call him up for an international tournament that makes the organisers, and by consequence them, millions. He acts like an arse playing for the association, and gets banned from playing not only internationally but also for the club, who are the ones who continue to shell out his wages (approx. 3 million). I agree with the sentence btw (including the 4 month ban from all football activities), but if this was an important Newcastle player I would be livid at the player first and foremost for acting the way he did, but also FIFA for handing out a punishment that hits us harder than the association that called him up in the first place.

I feel sorry for Liverpool and their fans, but they should be fining the little cunt every penny of his wages while he's banned. This is 100% Suarez fault, and all Liverpool fans should be livid at him getting himself banned from being able to play at their club.