Cardiff City 1 - 2 Newcastle United 05/10/13 - Post-match reaction from page 39

Greg

The goal we conceded raises 2 valid points for us in my opinion.

1. Why are our FB's either too far up the pitch or too central?

2. Why are our CB's too far up the pitch all the time allowing us to be exploited as such? It seems that our CB's are too far up the pitch when we are in possession leaving us vulnerable to through balls, or when we aren't in possession they sit far too deep.

Stifler - there's still a lack of leadership in the whole side, nevermind the defence. If we had an organizer/shouter in there - we would be much better. Someone like a Killer Kilcline, Barry Venison or Kevin Nolan.

Very true. At times it was obvious there was no communication, a simple "man on" shout would have saved us a load of trouble.

The goal we conceded raises 2 valid points for us in my opinion.

1. Why are our FB's either too far up the pitch or too central?

2. Why are our CB's too far up the pitch all the time allowing us to be exploited as such? It seems that our CB's are too far up the pitch when we are in possession leaving us vulnerable to through balls, or when we aren't in possession they sit far too deep.

There was another occasion in this match where Colo and the other centreback were easily split from a simple longball and nearly gifted a goal to Cardiff. If it was last week and Lukaku, it would have been a goal.

The goal was unfortunate for Santon. Coloccini was marking no one and Santon had two players on his side. Colo might have been able to deal with player in the centre, there was a lot space and Davide took the risk to try and prevent the shot. I wouldn't really fault any particular player for it. Williamson's mistake put us in chaos and we just couldn't deal with it.

Guest Haris Vuckic

Stifler - there's still a lack of leadership in the whole side, nevermind the defence. If we had an organizer/shouter in there - we would be much better. Someone like a Killer Kilcline, Barry Venison or Kevin Nolan.

I'm still very much supporting Cisse, don't think we play a game that suits him though.

This is how I feel. Despite the 433's there hasn't been much pace on balls across and in to him in the box. Of course he's had chances and he should have taken them all a lot better bar his header. I still don't think he's getting the chances he needs to break his duck and kick off again. I'm hoping he does.

I'm still very much supporting Cisse, don't think we play a game that suits him though.

This is how I feel. Despite the 433's there hasn't been much pace on balls across and in to him in the box. Of course he's had chances and he should have taken them all a lot better bar his header. I still don't think he's getting the chances he needs to break his duck and kick off again. I'm hoping he does.

I think balls slid into his feet are where he really prospers when he can get a shot away first time but that's a real rarity now whereas in his first few months we played on the front foot and gave him those opportunities all the time.

So (honest question) does everyone thing that how Cisse is playing now is Papisse Cisse? Like, this is how good he actually is? Rather than being bad form I mean.

Bad form. He will start scoring again imo.

Bad form doesn't last this long, he's a striker who has a really specific set of skills even when he's confident and we are not getting the best from those skills.

With how we play and the type of wide players we use i don't think he compliments them very well.... with that said i still believe in him and wouldn't sell him or anything but a Gomis type would have gone down a treat right about now honestly.

Bad form can easily last this long. I am sure there are other examples that people can come up with. Today was by far not his worst game; thought he was quite lively first half.

I'd be surprised tbf, 8 goals in 43 games is a pretty barren spell as its going to get. Not to mention how little he effects the game outside the box.

As i said i still believe in him and we don't play a way that suits him and he doesn't really compliment our wide players but an alternative option would be really nice...

This was a good and much needed win after the s**** we witnessed on Monday night. I was pretty happy with our first half performance - whilst I thought that we weren't that spectacular, we did have a simple yet effective gameplan of just attacking/taking the game to Cardiff - the way we kept on pressing was pleasing to see. Cardiff didn't really offer much in the first half though which did help us too - Krul didn't really have to do anything.

The second half was an atrocious showing mind and yet again, we basically shat ourselves when the opposition scored a goal - it was a game of two halves really - we were by far second best in the second half and Cardiff probably deserved something in the end but f*** it, a win's a win and it's 3 massive points.

Another thing I'd like to add is that it was great to see Cabaye put in a good performance - he was like his old battling/hardworking self again instead of the sulky Cabaye we saw last season - it can only help us in the long run if he continues to put in performances in the same vein as today. Tiote looked alright, for the first time in ages and Cisse had one of his better games too (although that's not saying much considering his performances so far this season have been well below average but baby steps maybe). Remy was again immense and we really need to tie him down on a permanent deal as soon as possible (and provided he's innocent of any wrongdoing).

That's now two successful away trips for me, it looks like my jinx has well and truly gone :)

A welcome win - and necessary when you look at the forthcoming fixtures....

However, we could not have complained if we had drawn - or even lost - in the second half ; once Williamson dropped his customary clanger and they scored, we were largely hanging on. Strangely enough, McKay's subs probably helped us more than Cardiff as they seemed to go off the boil after the second switch.

Should have had the game out of sight before HT, Cisse once again not doing the business with chances that came his way and Marshall making a brilliant stop from Sissoko. Cabaye showed once again what a class player he can be... a pity for him he didn't go to a better club in the summer because he would have shone, esp at Arsenal. He basically ran the m/f and Tiote had his best game for months, doing the simple things well(which is his main task), passing to a man who wasn't marked and avoiding a booking. Remy is proving to be a great acquisition with 2 great strikes, the second which knocked the stuffing out of them for a while ; his placement of the ball when striking from distance is excellent and no keeper would have stopped them. We would be in dire straits if he wasn't on loan to the club.

Pardew has bought himself a few weeks' grace with this result but much harder hurdles lie ahead and a consistent run of defeats against the likes of Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs and the Mackems will see the pressure restored big-time.

That was the best we have played in the first half and even leading up to their goal since Pardew took over IMO. Every player was involved in the game and we passed the ball about so well, in all the right areas. We dominated them and created a lot of chances and could have easily scored a few more.

Great stuff!

As soon as they scored, though, we looked shot. We lost our shape, players' heads went down and they looked capable of scoring whenever they attacked. It was actually quite frightening just how easy they got through our midfield and how many times they had men in our box. The turnaround once we conceded was amazing and very very strange.

This team has potential and lots of it. We can play very good football and really get at sides as we have shown but something is not quite right and that is obviously down to Pardew and the coaching staff.

The fact they are unable to get this talented side with potential performing well on a consistent basis says a lot.

However the manager couldn't be faulted today. He picked a side not many would have and we went out there to play and to win and we did that. Even after the break we went out there back on the attack and for 15 or so minutes it was a carbon copy of the first 45.

Then they scored...

We are such a strange team.

This was a very good win and a huge 3 points.

We are a strange team because we have a strange manager and even stranger owner...

I would throw Adam Cambell in at the deep end too. Sick of this mentality where you have to loan a player out.

At the moment though if Remy and Hatem can be that dangerous we're ok playing a ''pseudo'' 9.

Campbell is too small to be a force in the PL....he has pace but would find it tough against all but the poorest PL sides. Look at the impact Rooney made at 18 and players like Gazza and Shearer at the same age....if you are really star material it should be showing by that age.

The fact that Campbell is not part of the first team scene tells you that either a) He is not rated as first team squad material or b) the manager you frequently defend is a poor judge of a player.

The only way I could see Campbell being used properly is if we had a big target man who could lay the ball off for him or take the pressure off him from Centre Backs - and neither Remy nor Cisse are this type of player.

Take your choice.....

I think balls slid into his feet are where he really prospers when he can get a shot away first time but that's a real rarity now whereas in his first few months we played on the front foot and gave him those opportunities all the time.

All of this sums up the Cisse situation for me. Lethal with the right service. We just don't play like a team hat he would thrive in.

Huge win considering the games on the horizon

Neck on the line time. Think we will beat Liverpool and that Papiss Demba Cisse will SCORE a goal.

This ladies and gentlemen is what the demon drink can do to you.

Don't do it people.

I would throw Adam Cambell in at the deep end too. Sick of this mentality where you have to loan a player out.

At the moment though if Remy and Hatem can be that dangerous we're ok playing a ''pseudo'' 9.

Campbell is too small to be a force in the PL....he has pace but would find it tough against all but the poorest PL sides. Look at the impact Rooney made at 18 and players like Gazza and Shearer at the same age....if you are really star material it should be showing by that age.

The fact that Campbell is not part of the first team scene tells you that either a) He is not rated as first team squad material or b) the manager you frequently defend is a poor judge of a player.

The only way I could see Campbell being used properly is if we had a big target man who could lay the ball off for him or take the pressure off him from Centre Backs - and neither Remy nor Cisse are this type of player.

Take your choice.....

Well we know he's a poor judge of player from his past.

Tevez and Mascherano warming the bench for Wet Spam.

Willo did slip up for their goal, but Santon's defending was also questionable. Easy to say as a spectator, but it looks like we'd have been better off if he'd stuck to his man out wide instead of dashing inside. Colo was back to cover the centre.

Santon's lack of composure worries me. When danger comes, he seems to be have no middle ground between reckless and indecisive.

On a positive side, I noticed that on a couple of occasions, we were able to keep the ball much better when being put under pressure near the touchlines. That's been lacking. Previously we've just hoofed it and / or lost it.

Take your choice.....

Bit tough using Shearer, Gazza and Rooney as your yardstick.

I've only seen glimpses of Campbell in action, but I can see why he's attracted optimistic attention. He reminds me a bit of Beardsley in his style, and of course he ended up playing in Canada before someone took a chance on him. So I don't think his size is necessarily a problem, and I like to think there's hope still.

Pardew is under pressure and with the situation we're in, perhaps he feels he can't afford to give younger players the necessary learning curve in the first team. Maybe he's naturally cautious. But I'd put Campbell on the bench, if only because he can offer something different from our other strikers.

Take your choice.....

Bit tough using Shearer, Gazza and Rooney as your yardstick.

I've only seen glimpses of Campbell in action, but I can see why he's attracted optimistic attention. He reminds me a bit of Beardsley in his style, and of course he ended up playing in Canada before someone took a chance on him. So I don't think his size is necessarily a problem, and I like to think there's hope still.

Pardew is under pressure and with the situation we're in, perhaps he feels he can't afford to give younger players the necessary learning curve in the first team. Maybe he's naturally cautious. But I'd put Campbell on the bench, if only because he can offer something different from our other strikers.

Why is it tough using Shearer Gazza and Rooney as the yardstick for Campbell ? All of these players were showing star quality at 18 and if Campbell is the player some people seem to think he is, he should be doing the same. Small players have to be exceptional in order to make the top grade esp as strikers and Beardsley was/is bigger than Campbell....a different type of player too, not an out and out striker, more a player who schemed and played off the front striker(s).

Agree with your point about Santon though...I am still not convinced by this guy as a defender and his attacking skills are blunted by his reluctance to use his left foot to put a first-time cross in. He is comfortable on the ball though.

Comparing Cisse and Remy is interesting for me as one is so full of self confidence and other self doubt ,thought Cisse may have turned the corner after leeds game but back to square one im afraid

Willo did slip up for their goal, but Santon's defending was also questionable. Easy to say as a spectator, but it looks like we'd have been better off if he'd stuck to his man out wide instead of dashing inside. Colo was back to cover the centre.

Santon's lack of composure worries me. When danger comes, he seems to be have no middle ground between reckless and indecisive.

On a positive side, I noticed that on a couple of occasions, we were able to keep the ball much better when being put under pressure near the touchlines. That's been lacking. Previously we've just hoofed it and / or lost it.

Nah I think he had to go to the danger, he had two men to pick up, the immediate danger is where he had to go. Had he gone outwide they would have scored anyway. He took the risk of blocking it. Made the right choice imo

mentioned that on the thread after it happened and while everyone jumped on Willo we had plenty opportunities to clear it and arguably Santon fucked up big time there .

Nah I think he had to go to the danger, he had two men to pick up, the immediate danger is where he had to go. Had he gone outwide they would have scored anyway. He took the risk of blocking it. Made the right choice imo

mentioned that on the thread after it happened and while everyone jumped on Willo we had plenty opportunities to clear it and arguably Santon fucked up big time there .

No doubt Mr Neville will give us the answer soon.  ;)