Did Sir John Hall make a racist joke about Les Ferdinand ages ago?

Big Geordie

Think it all depends on the relationship he has with Sir Les tbh.

If they're cool, I think it's alright (me and my mates say things to one another, which would understandably be construed to an outsider as horrifically racist, with all the love in the world).

More than a bit dodgy for me if they have no real relationship.

Aye.

It's like Mike on here :lol:

You couldn't just waltz into West Coast Forumz and be like "yous all love grape juice" and expect everyone to be swell. It would be canny disrespectful. Mike just takes all of the shit craic on the chin like a trooper.

If they're cool, I think it's alright (me and my mates say things to one another, which would understandably be construed to an outsider as horrifically racist, with all the love in the world).

Aye.

You couldn't just waltz into West Coast Forumz and be like "yous all love grape juice" and expect everyone to be swell. It would be canny disrespectful. Mike just takes all of the shit craic on the chin like a trooper.

Shak too.

Aye.

Of course. It'd have been fun to see Les' reaction. Can someone find that old article please?

John Hall's comment was stupid but tbf Ferdinand is as black as the ace of spades.

Quoted again for archival. Astonishing.

Let history show this post has now been officially unarchived. Cajun's a good fella.

Can I just say while we're on, Aga cookers look bloody horrible.  No way I'd want one in my kitchen.

Racist.

the better models are available in white tbf.

They only burn wooden crosses though. At least they have a retractable hood mind.

Can I just say while we're on, Aga cookers look bloody horrible.  No way I'd want one in my kitchen.

Racist.

the better models are available in white tbf.

They only burn wooden crosses though. At least they have a retractable hood mind.

:clap:

can't believe it's even being questioned tbh, with dictionary definitions of racism. FFS man, I'm out like

It doesn't fit with the legal definitions either. Fortunately that's what counts.

Aye, fuck anyone offended by it. Law says it's fine. Now, where's my boot polish?

There's a big difference between an insensitive comment and a racist one. Anyone taking offence to their skin tone being compared to that of a kitchen appliance is well within their rights to adopt that stance, but it's not a discrimination.

Guest Haris Vuckic

He didn't just say Les Ferdinand is black though, did he, if he said that he would have said "Les Ferdinand is black."

What he actually said was "I couldn't see Les Ferdinand because he was stood next to my black Aga" :lol:

Les Ferdinand is so f***ing black that standing in front of a black surface actually rendered him completely invisible, that's what John Hall said. I'm not saying he's a staunch facist or anything like, but that is most certainly a racist comment.

And I didn't have to open my upstairs window to talk to Peter Crouch. I didn't know that jokes had to be factually accurate.

:lol:

imo, there isn't anything inherently racist in his statement. It's just a terrible joke for an old rich white dude to tell. He definitely should have known better. It was a bad joke in poor taste, poorly timed. An awkwardness trifecta.