Did Sir John Hall make a racist joke about Les Ferdinand ages ago?

Big Geordie

The reason "black people are so dark that..." jokes are seen in the same category as

"Black people's lips are so big that...",

"Chinese people's eyes are so narrow that...",

"Jewish people's noses are so big that..."

and are are often interpreted as a racist joke rather than just some innocent observation, whether referring to an individual or a race as a whole, is that it's a caricaturisation of racial characteristics. If you look at the racist cartoons of days gone by and blackface performers, as well as the exaggerated red lips, frizzy hair and bright teeth, they were portrayed with exaggerated jet-black skin. And the whole 'You can't see them at all the dark' thing was the regular comedy trope that went with it.

You can disagree that makes it a racial joke, but I think it's a bit disingenuous for people to act like they have no idea how anyone could consider it inappropriate.

If you want to complain about how a sweet old man can't make a joke about not being able to see Les Ferdinand in front of his black Arga without people raising eyebrows, the blame should probably lie with the people who churned out the racist caricatures that made it taboo in the first place rather than 'do gooders'.

:clap: btw

I think it is ridiculous to label people "dogooders" because they aren't the race that is being offended.

Out of interest who are the dogooders in this thread?

The ones who scream racism at the very mention of colour, such as alex and santoon above, probably others elsewhere but I didn't take notes.

Someone earlier made an excellent analogy with height and a window I don't remember it but it was spot on

Do you know anything of their backgrounds?

Also if we signed a black player and someone's first comment was "f*** me, he's black as the ace of spades!" would you honestly not think they were a bit racist? Or does it not apply to kitchen appliances?

My opinion wouldn't change if I knew they where white, black, yellow or green. I don't see what you're getting at

Surely if it is a black person getting offended about a joke about black people they aren't getting offended on someone else's behalf?  :undecided:

That's the first sensible thing you've said all day.

I think it is ridiculous to label people "dogooders" because they aren't the race that is being offended.

The ones who scream racism at the very mention of colour, such as alex and santoon above, probably others elsewhere but I didn't take notes.

Someone earlier made an excellent analogy with height and a window I don't remember it but it was spot on

Also if we signed a black player and someone's first comment was "Fuck me, he's black as the ace of spades!" would you honestly not think they were a bit racist? Or does it not apply to kitchen appliances?

Since when has a spade been a kitchen appliance  ;D

Also if we signed a black player and someone's first comment was "f*** me, he's black as the ace of spades!" would you honestly not think they were a bit racist? Or does it not apply to kitchen appliances?

My opinion wouldn't change if I knew they where white, black, yellow or green. I don't see what you're getting at

Surely if it is a black person getting offended about a joke about black people they aren't getting offended on someone else's behalf?  :undecided:

That's the first sensible thing you've said all day.

Fuck off!! I've just trawled through 9 pages of this bollocks to make that joke! Fair play though, had to be done.