Did Sir John Hall make a racist joke about Les Ferdinand ages ago?

Big Geordie

1. The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.

2. Discrimination or prejudice based on race

Which of these dictionary definitions does that comment fit into?

The first. It's clearly a derogatory remark, aimed at a person of a different skin colour. Certainly a superiority element on SJH part. I'm assuming you think it's an okay comment then?

dont get that.

That he thinks it's okay to make a remark based on a massively exaggerated version of someone's skin colour. It's derogatory, and usually derogatory remarks come from a position of perceived superiority

He's basically saying "Les Ferdinand is black". The only way that's "derogatory" is if you (not him) perceive being black as a bad thing.

"Les Ferdinand is really black, couldn't see him in front of the cooker"

"Peter Crouch is really tall, he came to the door before and I had to open the upstairs window to talk to him"

To me there's no difference in intent between those two shit jokes. I agree that I wouldn't tell the former on the radio.

Guest icemanblue

can't believe it's even being questioned tbh, with dictionary definitions of racism. FFS man, I'm out like

It doesn't fit with the legal definitions either. Fortunately that's what counts.

Aye, fuck anyone offended by it. Law says it's fine. Now, where's my boot polish?

He didn't just say Les Ferdinand is black though, did he, if he said that he would have said "Les Ferdinand is black."

What he actually said was "I couldn't see Les Ferdinand because he was stood next to my black Aga" :lol:

Les Ferdinand is so fucking black that standing in front of a black surface actually rendered him completely invisible, that's what John Hall said. I'm not saying he's a staunch facist or anything like, but that is most certainly a racist comment.

How about just not singling out someone's skin colour as a subject of conversation or the butt-end of a joke? We don't do that for 'white' folk, but we constantly hear such jokes about the 'darkies' or people from the orient. Man, I can't believe I'm engaging in this. I'm out too :) Off to the Pardew thread where there's actually more sanity than here.

He didn't just say Les Ferdinand is black though, did he, if he said that he would have said "Les Ferdinand is black."

What he actually said was "I couldn't see Les Ferdinand because he was stood next to my black Aga" :lol:

Les Ferdinand is so fucking black that standing in front of a black surface actually rendered him completely invisible, that's what John Hall said. I'm not saying he's a staunch facist or anything like, but that is most certainly a racist comment.

And I didn't have to open my upstairs window to talk to Peter Crouch. I didn't know that jokes had to be factually accurate.

And I didn't have to open my upstairs window to talk to Peter Crouch. I didn't know that jokes had to be factually accurate.

Is Sir John Hall a fucking stand up comedian now like? It was a daft comment that is certainly derogatory, like.

How about just not singling out someone's skin colour as a subject of conversation or the butt-end of a joke? We don't do that for 'white' folk, but we constantly hear such jokes about the 'darkies' or people from the orient. Man, I can't believe I'm engaging in this. I'm out too :) Off to the Pardew thread where there's actually more sanity than here.

Other races probably do. Any mentioning of race in a joke doesn't make it a joke with some sort of malicious or derogatory intention behind it.

Old guy makes reasonably inappropiate comment, bleh just look the other way awkwardly and move on, it's hardly terry racially abusing another player on the pitch is it

Nobody said it was. The dispute is whether it's a racist comment, which it patently is.

Well yeah it is imo, but if that's all we're here to decide then it's a waste of time, is place called is-this-racist?-online all of a sudden.