Alan '48 points' Pardew

Nobody
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Alan Pardew has been left with no hiding place after his Newcastle United side made a mockery of pledges to keep their season alive after passing the 40-point mark.

The Magpies boss had talked up United’s hopes of cementing their place in the top eight and nudging themselves above the club’s pre-season target of tenth, but Saturday’s performance was complacent, wretched and completely unacceptable.

Pardew refused to talk about individual players after the game – passing the opportunity to talk about Hatem Ben Arfa, again substituted at half-time – and said he “accepted” the criticism which came their way from the away support.

However, there was no sorry from the Newcastle camp and captain Fabricio Coloccini would not speak either.

All that came from Pardew were promises of a “positive” meeting with Mike Ashley about Newcastle’s future plans, the owner having taken in his fourth successive United game in the St Mary’s stands.

Pardew’s explanation was not always consistent.

He argued Southampton had more motivation that United because they could overturn them in the league – and also said he believed his team was trying to get “through to half-time” when they were eventually breached just before the interval.

In truth they were shambolic: Mike Williamson and Cheick Tiote squared up to each other in the first half and Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa and Ben Arfa were withdrawn at half-time as Pardew groped in vain for an answer to Southampton’s sparkling performance. He admitted: “It was a shock to me.

“At one stage I thought ‘If we could just get through to half-time’ and maybe the players thought that too.

“Maybe they were just trying to get into the dressing room with ten minutes to go but in the end we conceded.

“Even second half we conceded an early goal just when I thought perhaps we were making inroads and from that point on there was only one winner.”

It was pointed out to Pardew the team had lost three of the four games since his Hull ‘head butt’. He added: “We’ve had tough games. This was a tough game, Everton was a tough game. Fulham away as well.

“I genuinely feel we’re in a period of the season where we really need to stamp our mark on it.

“It’s difficult when you have 46 points on the board.

“It was a big game for Southampton to jump above us and we need to get that motivation level back.

“People are going to criticise us today and we’re going to have to accept that.”

Ashley’s presence at games has added intrigue to the run-in and he sat near Pardew on Saturday, taking in the dismal display.

There are no suggestions from sources within the club Pardew’s position is under threat, but change is coming at St James’ Park.

Another meeting in midweek has prompted Pardew to express further optimism players will be coming over the summer.

He said: “I don’t think it’s changed our opinion. One game hasn’t changed our opinion we need to bring in players, we’re aware of that.

“Although the scoreline was poor we’ve had a good positive meeting this week about taking the club forward. That’s not really the time for a conversation when you’ve had a result like we had on Saturday.

“We just didn’t look like we had a process of how to win the game and Southampton dominated.”

Pardew did not go into specifics when asked whether some players had sealed their fates on the South Coast. Ben Arfa, handed a start, was shown precious little patience.

He added: “I’m not going to talk about individual players. Collectively we have to take responsibility for that and that’s my staff, my players and myself – that’s how we work and that’s all I’m going to comment on.”

“We just didn’t look like we had a process of how to win the game and Southampton dominated.”

How's that different from most of our games?  Even most of our wins have come about from individual flashes of brilliance rather than a cohesive game plan.

He's lost the plot and completely out of his depth, but it's not his fault, it's Ashley.

Any successful business works as a team. The off pitch team is a shambles, lacking in character, numbers and skill and a vision. The club is Ashley's cash cow and Pards is isolated without a friend in the world and no support.

If he kept his gob shut I'd have some sympathy for his situation, but he won't so I don't.

Ashley OUT.

It was pointed out to Pardew the team had lost three of the four games since his Hull ‘head butt’. He added: “We’ve had tough games. This was a tough game, Everton was a tough game. Fulham away as well.

such toughness

He's lost the plot and completely out of his depth, but it's not his fault, it's Ashley.

Any successful business works as a team. The off pitch team is a shambles, lacking in character, numbers and skill and a vision. The club is Ashley's cash cow and Pards is isolated without a friend in the world and no support.

If he kept his gob shut I'd have some sympathy for his situation, but he won't so I don't.

Ashley OUT.

We all have legitimate angst with Ashley and the numerous diabolical mistakes he has made and will continue to make. But we shouldn't allow high level criticisms about what we should do, or should have done, in terms of strategy/vision to mask what we actually currently have today.

E.g. yes, the abysmal transfer windows could have been infinitely better, and yes we should be aiming for much more than what we appear to be settling for, and yes we should be treating the club like a Harrods or Selfridges as opposed to a Poundland, but when you look at what we do have right now as opposed to what we don't, I think we have a pretty decent squad from which a good manager could form a solid footballing side. Other managers are getting alot more out of lesser of equivalent squads imo, when you watch their teams you can see visible evidence of how their players are coached into passing, moving, creating, and defending as a team - why should Pardew be excused because Ashley didn't give him a couple of £20m players to ruin or paper over the cracks?

Ashley OUT.

We all have legitimate angst with Ashley and the numerous diabolical mistakes he has made and will continue to make. But we shouldn't allow high level criticisms about what we should do, or should have done, in terms of strategy/vision to mask what we actually currently have today.

E.g. yes, the abysmal transfer windows could have been infinitely better, and yes we should be aiming for much more than what we appear to be settling for, and yes we should be treating the club like a Harrods or Selfridges as opposed to a Poundland, but when you look at what we do have right now as opposed to what we don't, I think we have a pretty decent squad from which a good manager could form a solid footballing side. Other managers are getting alot more out of lesser of equivalent squads imo, when you watch their teams you can see visible evidence of how their players are coached into passing, moving, creating, and defending as a team - why should Pardew be excused because Ashley didn't give him a couple of £20m players to ruin or paper over the cracks?

I agree and it is an easy get-out for Pardew to hide behind Ashley's shortcomings.  He may not get the players he wants and may be asked questions about the club that he shouldn't have to because no-one in the boardroom will speak but he is pretty much left to get on with the job of managing a talented pool of players and he is failing massively in that task.  He is not developing them and there is no cohesive style of play.  He pins all his hopes on 2 or 3 star players and  there is no Plan B when they are not available.  Other managers will have the team playing in a certain way so when they lose a player another one is able to step in.  When that happens to us, the wheels come off in a big way.  He put all his effort in to trying to keep Ba happy and in the process alienated Cisse who has never recovered.  He obviously relied heavily on Cabaye and the journalists often said that he "managed" the French players and it would now appears that was probably true because their attitude and performances have been woeful since.  He has now pinned all his hopes on Remy who everyone knows will not be here next season.  All of these failings are down to Pardew and not Ashley.

Guest reefatoon

I can't wait for the "Give me a wave" thickets that go to the matches to eventually realise how s*** he is and finally turn on him.  I think he will have a meltdown of epic proportions, can't wait to see it.  Roll on that game when it finally clicks and he gets hurled torrents of abuse.

Sounds to me like it might be getting away from him - the one thing he's managed to avoid so far is losing the players, once that happens there's usually no coming back...

I thought after the Spurs home game that it looked as if he'd lost the players. We obviously got a couple of wins since but Saturday looked very much as if he'd lost them again.

Sounds to me like it might be getting away from him - the one thing he's managed to avoid so far is losing the players, once that happens there's usually no coming back...

I thought after the Spurs home game that it looked as if he'd lost the players. We obviously got a couple of wins since but Saturday looked very much as if he'd lost them again.

Have this sneaky suspicion that he used the lambasting of Ben Arfa and Marveaux after that Spurs game as an attempt to motivate the rest of the players (through fear/stamping authority) having seen the signs of their motivation and desire fading.

Now that has worn off, he tried a similar trick again, this time starting Ben Arfa then subbing him at half time to make an example of him to the others.

Wonder what he'll have left up his sleeve after this.

we have a very, very real chance of losing the next 6 games - some of them badly

i don't think he'll survive that personally, he's already on the brink of bettering his own worst club PL losing record or whatever, this would break it and i reckon ashley will bin him

ST sales have clearly dropped badly and the press are starting to slowly pull pardew for his own shitness

it's time

btw it's funny how i've always referred back to last season's dark depths as my personal worst nufc managerial performance when he was just rambling and making excuses after every defeat....incredibly it looks like he might better himself on that front this season :lol:

i'm not so sure tbh, as has been said it's starting to look like he's lost the players (again) so is ashley more likely to sanction sales and replacement of X amount of players or bin the manager they've turned against and instantly get all the players back on side?

i'm starting to believe, especially as we have a number of whippings still to come this season

we have a very, very real chance of losing the next 6 games - some of them badly

i don't think he'll survive that personally, he's already on the brink of bettering his own worst club PL losing record or whatever, this would break it and i reckon ashley will bin him

ST sales have clearly dropped badly and the press are starting to slowly pull pardew for his own shitness

it's time

Couldn't disagree more.