Newcastle United 1 - 1 Southampton - 14/12/13 - post-match reaction from page 32

Beren

You have to say they broke very well for their equaliser, but in that situation Mapou's pace would have been very handy.

I didn't want to see him dropped, and he would have stood a much better chance than Colo at snuffing that out.

You have to say they broke very well for their equaliser, but in that situation Mapou's pace would have been very handy.

I didn't want to see him dropped, and he would have stood a much better chance than Colo at snuffing that out.

We didn't have enough players picking up the second ball just inside their half, bad positioning from at least two of them. It was a really nicely worked goal though tbf.

What annoys me is, why can't professional footballers read an obvious one two.  When Rodriguez laid the ball off, the only pass the player could make was back to him, Colo should of been positioned better, and set up to ensure the player went down the line. Instead the pass was open, then they scored.

Or I could just be very picky.

What annoys me is, why can't professional footballers read an obvious one two.  When Rodriguez laid the ball off, the only pass the player could make was back to him, Colo should of been positioned better, and set up to ensure the player went down the line. Instead the pass was open, then they scored.

Or I could just be very picky.

It went through his legs, how could he position himself better? :lol: It was a great pass and he got very lucky to get it through Colo's legs as there was no other way to play that pass.

It would be interesting to know how much of their possession was in our half. Even Chelsea, City and Arsenal struggled to dominate them so I don't know why we're suddenly expected to do better , without Cabaye? Furthermore saying that we didn't create our own chances because they made mistakes is nonsensical we did force them into making mistakes by our nonstop pressing. Sometimes I ask myself if we were watching the same match .

:clap:

I never had great belief in statistical analysis of football matches, particularly percentage possession, but recently reading that Spurs dominated possession when they got twatted 6-0 by Man City and yet only had 25% possession when they beat Man Utd 3-2 has finished me with taking any notice whatsoever of it.

Well, only if you take the simplistic view that winning the possession actually means something in of itself. Possession stats do indicate something - like any stat, skilful interpretation is key. It's no great surprise that we had lots of possession against City because (a) that's how we play now and (b) they just let us have the ball for the most part and hit us with quick, incisive moves. Or waited for us to fuck up. We actually didn't play particularly well when we beat Man U, but hit them with quick, incisive moves - thanks to Bale and Vertonghen in particular.

The thinking is that if you retain the ball well, then you're more likely to create opportunities to score and the oppo - starved of the ball - is less likely to score. Nowt wrong with that, and you're going to want to see regular high possession stats if that's the way you want to play. If you want to analyze the game further you've got to watch the bloody thing. I've got about as much patience with people who dismiss these stats out-of-hand as those who use them without any kind of context.

I know I'm being picky, just thought he could of possibly shown him down the line more. While I was watching, I just knew the one two was going to happen, prob everyone did.

I don't remember who it was but he timed and executed the pass perfectly. They would've lost the chance if he didn't get it through Colo's legs as the pass from Rodriguez was poor and Colo was positioned perfectly. One of those goals where you just have to give the opposition credit, the mistakes for that goal were made earlier.

I thought Pardew approached the second half as positively as he possibly could, Cisse was a dud but bringing him and Ben Arfa on clearly indicated that we were going for the win. We weren't defending deep out of choice, our midfield was completely overrun until Ben Arfa gave them something to think about.

By playing Shola up front on his own? Absolute shite.

Well, last 30 minutes then if you need to be picky. If the goal was to shut the game down, it would have been MYM coming on for Shola instead.

Of course it's a missed opportunity. Still, Southampton are a good side and a draw isn't a terrible result.

Played some decent stuff in spells and expect us to win next time out. We're alreet.

We are but that doesn't qualify for Europe, i genuinely believe we are capable of that and think that is what we should be aiming for.

Settling for just being OK and this result is fine but to finish top 6/7 you need to be winning games like this.

Hopefully we win the next two games and end 2013 with 33 points, that would be a good return.

Of course it's a missed opportunity. Still, Southampton are a good side and a draw isn't a terrible result.

Played some decent stuff in spells and expect us to win next time out. We're alreet.

We are but that doesn't qualify for Europe, i genuinely believe we are capable of that and think that is what we should be aiming for.

Settling for just being OK and this result is fine but to finish top 6/7 you need to be winning games like this.

Hopefully we win the next two games and end 2013 with 33 points, that would be a good return.

Yoorup? Can't be havin' that. Next season relegation certs then, all those midweek games.

Finishing high up is also about not losing games you could lose as well though. When you win 5 out of 6, the odd draw like yesterday against a team who you're competing with for one of those places just keeps things ticking over.

Finishing high up is also about not losing games you could lose as well though. When you win 5 out of 6, the odd draw like yesterday against a team who you're competing with for one of those places just keeps things ticking over.

True. Obviously any result other than a win in a home game against a team outside the very top places is seen as a big disappointment. Taken in isolation, a 1-1 draw at home to Southampton is disappointing (yes, they're a decent team but not much more than that IMO) but when combined with unexpected wins against the likes of Chelsea, Tottenham, it offsets it a bit.

I expect you, like us, to be challenging the European spots but much will depend on who wins the domestic cups.

I've read a number of accounts of the game that refer to us having a fantastic first half, the game being a brilliant one to watch and us having control for the majority but not winning due to a couple of missed chances.  I don't see it, I was as bored watching that yesterday as I have been watching the majority of our games for a long while.  I'd think I was getting sick of football but I don't have the same issues watching other sides.  Our games are scrappy and dull for the most part.

I've read a number of accounts of the game that refer to us having a fantastic first half, the game being a brilliant one to watch and us having control for the majority but not winning due to a couple of missed chances.  I don't see it, I was as bored watching that yesterday as I have been watching the majority of our games for a long while.  I'd think I was getting sick of football but I don't have the same issues watching other sides.  Our games are scrappy and dull for the most part.

Our football rarely does anything for me, I might as well not waste my time going and look out for the result. I asked my wife to cancel my ticket when Kinnear was appointed and she didn't and I was glad about that as I still enjoy going to the match, I just don't enjoy the game itself.

I might see if I can get my youngest to take my ticket off me next season and see if I change my mind or not.  I don't really want to give my 10 year deal up if I'm going to find I still want to go.

Of late, Pardew's team is stylistically reminding me of Moyes's old teams at Everton in the middle part of last decade. Teams that rely on great effort and endeavor, keeping tight at the back, and the performances of a few outstanding individuals. If you don't graft you don't play. HBA will come back into the side and work hard as he did until the injuries last years, but the likes of Marveaux will probably be sacrificed. 

Have to agree. Don't see where we were brilliant in the first half.