Week 2: Who was/is better? Les Ferdinand or Andy Cole

Froggy
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I think Suarez is better because Suarez can create and score while van Persie doesn't anymore or the last season or two anyway which I would judge as his prime. Van Persie started out more as a 10 who created rather than scored but as he became a more goalscoring type of striker he stopped creating. If you look at the Liverpool Man City game from last week Suarez didn't score himself but created numerous opportunities for teammates.

Van Persie scored and created more in the last two seasons than Suarez though.

50 odd replies and 100 votes makes me think this is worthwhile, and that was with two hated figures for the debate, so I'll keep it going another week at least.

I'm shocked at the results for last week to be honest, which are below:

Luis Suarez - 74.3% (75 votes) of people believed he is the better player.

Robin van Persie - 18.8% (19 votes) in comparison for van Persie

7 people couldn't separate the two.

This week I was tempted to do Rooney and Ozil due to the debate in the Man United thread, but I wanted to do two players who played for Newcastle this week and I'm curious to see how highly rated Sir Les was in comparison to Andy Cole.

So,

Les Ferdinand

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sol/shared/spl/hi/pop_ups/05/football_meet_the_football_focus_team/img/5.jpg

or

Andy Cole

http://match-ua.com/images/userimages/56.jpg

Remember the stipulations:

• Opinions should be based on the players ability while in their prime, e.g. if it's Gerrard, think 2005/06, not now.
  • Disciplinary records should not blind someones view unless it's football related, e.g. don't judge Suarez by the bite, but do judge Scholes on his yellows due to his tackles.
  • I reckon it should stay Premier League, so almost everybody can have a valid opinion on it. Personally, I can remember from the 21st of Oct 1996 onwards. Not a day before...
  • Lastly and most importantly, give a reason why!

Ferdinand proved for years on end he could mix it with the best and had everything, Cole struggled for years at Manchester United while SAF figured out how to make him an all-round player.

Caveat, Ferdinand was the definition of a confidence player, but KK was the best manager for him.

Seen pretty much every game from both live. Very very difficult to opt for one over the other.

My instinct is Cole. He was sensational during his short stay with us but the Big Les was a great all rounder.

No - going with Cole.

I remember Sir Les coming up here as a QPR player, murdered us, scored 2. I couldn't believe it when we managed to sign him. As a poacher Cole wins hands down but as a player I'd have Sir Les every time; we completely fucked up in the way he was allowed to leave. Yes, we were unfortunate with Shearer's injury but unless we desperately needed the money it was a howler of a decision.

Can't vote.

Try now.

Cheers. Not even sure how to fix it. :lol: Will I have to remove the poll each week if I reset it as there was no option in there to reopen the voting.

It was the duration that needed to be edited.

I prefer Sir Les because:

1) He's a gent.

2) Cole's transfer to Man United scarred me, my tiny child brain couldn't understand why the best players would want to play for someone other than Newcastle. Why would they make me love them then turn their backs on me? It's just not fair, damnit. Add to that the glory supporting wankers at school turning up in their Cole Man United shirts. Cunts.

But objectively, Cole was the better player. Just.