Squad & tactics (2023/24)

LoveItIfWeBeatU

10 hours ago, NWMag said:

Re the pressing we are going to have a lot of 3/4 day turnarounds so it could be intentional to reduce the amount per game

But then we should have the personnel for a slower style of play. Or setup tactically for a more patient game. But we don't.

Edited by The College Dropout

Hot take, would it be completely crazy to suggest trying Trippier as a 6? He played as a CM all his youth career and he can certainly receive a ball in tight spaces and retain it far better than Longstaff. He's got the engine and the durability... passing range...

Livramento in and a 3 in the middle of Trips, Tonali, Bruno...

/tinhat

22 minutes ago, HawK said:

Hot take, would it be completely crazy to suggest trying Trippier as a 6? He played as a CM all his youth career and he can certainly receive a ball in tight spaces and retain it far better than Longstaff. He's got the engine and the durability... passing range...

Livramento in and a 3 in the middle of Trips, Tonali, Bruno...

/tinhat

Should stick Bruno in nets and pope up front. That way Bruno can pick out Pope everyone who can flick it on for Gordon and almiron

Edited by relámpago blanco

On 18/09/2023 at 07:35, HawK said:

---Bruno-Tonali---

Gordon-Isak-Barnes

-------Wilson-------

I'm definitely intrigued by this although, except for maybe Miley, I'm not sure we have anyone else to swap in for Bruno/Tonali.

12 minutes ago, McCormick said:

Longstaff isn’t press resistant enough to be an effective 6, imo. 

Agree. His first touch can be heavy and he's quite often rushed into making a mistake. He covers ground well so defensively he's solid enough, but he'll not be able to dictate play like Bruno does when he's on his game.

On 17/09/2023 at 23:15, NWMag said:

Re the pressing we are going to have a lot of 3/4 day turnarounds so it could be intentional to reduce the amount per game

Have seen this idea mentioned a few times.

Obviously it makes sense with the extra fixtures but if that was the plan then I wish we'd maybe factored it into our summer transfer business a bit more.

Looking at our midfielders and wingers, they all look like they're best suited to a high energy, pretty direct style of play. If we're not going to press and win the ball in advanced areas of the pitch, I'm not sure we have the players to unlock teams with a more measured build up.

Right now, I think the squad really needs a creative midfielder. Be that an #8 in the current system who has a bit more craft on the ball (playing Bruno there is an option) or else changing the system to more of a 4-2-3-1, I think it's the main thing the squad needs as of right now.

Would genuinely just attempt at Tonali as the 6 and Bruno as the 8 next match. Bruno has the experience under Howe to know exactly where to be in the 8 role and Tonali could actually be told to simply play the 6 role as he acclimates to new surroundings. 

• 3 weeks later...

So do you guys think we are set for the near future for centre mid? Providing no outgoings, then we have Bruno, Joelinton, Willock, Tonali, Longstaff, Anderson and then Miley coming along... That's 6/7 and all pretty young

I'm just wondering as a lot of people still discuss us getting a DM/6, but surely in order to get one we'd neeed to sell one of the above, even if we got a young player happy to be on the bench, soon (and if all fit) we're already going to have 3 of those on the bench who will want/need regular minutes 

I wonder what out first choice midfield 3 will be in 6 months if they are all fit!! 

31 minutes ago, janpawel said:

So do you guys think we are set for the near future for centre mid? Providing no outgoings, then we have Bruno, Joelinton, Willock, Tonali, Longstaff, Anderson and then Miley coming along... That's 6/7 and all pretty young

I'm just wondering as a lot of people still discuss us getting a DM/6, but surely in order to get one we'd neeed to sell one of the above, even if we got a young player happy to be on the bench, soon (and if all fit) we're already going to have 3 of those on the bench who will want/need regular minutes 

I wonder what out first choice midfield 3 will be in 6 months if they are all fit!! 

as we have some interchangeable players in the 5 behind the striker…

Tonali

Bruno

Big Joe

Little Joe

Longstaff

Gordon

Barnes

Miggy

Murphy

And then Anderson and Miley looking to break through, Minteh possibly coming into the fold next year.

Looks a little heavy and slightly lopsided to me so wouldn’t be surprised to see one two leave in the summer.

you can’t see many of the first 9 there being content with being a largely bench player mid-term

Imagine how much higher it’d be if we didn’t have Burn, Cuntonali, Shitstaff, Murphy, Migrant Almiron, the rest of those utter fucking wasters and Trippier could take a fucking set piece. :angry:

3 hours ago, Disco said:

Imagine how much higher it’d be if we didn’t have Burn, Cuntonali, Shitstaff, Murphy, Migrant Almiron, the rest of those utter fucking wasters and Trippier could take a fucking set piece. :angry:

Selling Nick Pope is key to all of this. Instant +5 attacking xG right there. +10 if we get Ramsdale as replacement and release Elliott Nothing too.

On 10/10/2023 at 23:10, janpawel said:

I still think we need another passer in there.

My guess is that player can also play wide - a Szob profile or more athletic Maddison.