Squad & tactics (2023/24)

LoveItIfWeBeatU

1 minute ago, Rich said:

image.thumb.png.7b1030de17ef5f4ea8f10c746a9284fa.png

Now the retained list is out, here's where I think we'll land (roughly speaking) come the close of the window. This is with a rough gross spend of £141–160M from that poll the other day.

I know I've done Little Joe dirty, but shoe-horning Big Joe in as starting LW was hurting my OCD too much. Even though he may well begin the season there.

It could easily become a 4-2-3-1 chart by using Longstaff, Bruno, Joelinton, and McSauce as the pivot players, and nudging Maddison, Willock, and Anderson forward into a #10 box.

We'd be fine for the 25-man PL squad, as Anderson still doesn't need registering and you're basically just omitting one of Dummett or Ritchie from this list. I've gone with Ritchie simply because of how stocked we'd be in midfield/out wide versus at the back.

The UCL squad is trickier. You can risk going with two goalkeepers by omitting Gillespie, but we'd still need to omit one of the other "trained in nation" players. Targett or Murphy would be the two candidates there, you'd think, which would be a killer for either. Murphy is probably the safer bet, again based on how much theoretically stronger we are in the forward positions body-wise.

🤓

You snuck mcsauce in so like removed. 

He’s a horrendous 6 from everything I’ve read. 

Seeing that list and referencing back to How's "some popular (?) players may depart" added to the knowledge some players that are here during this transition stage definitely wil is sad in a way. 

Bear in mind, tho well recompensed, they've been here under a woeful owner and a succession of career stifling managers. 

I got the impression both Wood and Shelvey were sad to go*

Remember Shelvey stating his desire to stick around as long as possible. 

Given how high we've punched there's bound to be a few more over this next season but it's better the club are doing it gradually rather than any overhaul. 

I agree with that bit Caulkin sad about this last season being unique in its "innocence", never to be repeated. 

* notwithstanding they chose to go for practical reasons

Edited by Groundhog63

Need to shift people like Lascelles, Lewis, Fraser, Hayden, Manquillo, Darlow & Dubravka (if Karius stays)

Not sure why he has kept Ritchie as he isnt a PL quality player and will struggle to get into the 25 man squad but can understand Dummett as he is HG for the CL.

Id let Murphy go too if we got a decent offer, think hes had a purple patch 2nd half of the season but has probably hit his ceiling.

That would leave us with Pope  Trippier, Dummett, Willock, Wilson, Gordon, Targett, Gillespie, Burn & Longstaff as english players for the PL registration, think you only need to register minimum of 8.

• 1 month later...

By the look of things we are going to be a very fast and direct side!

Hard press and quick turnarounds using Barnes and Gordon with Tonali pinging one touch passes... DROOOL

7 minutes ago, Jack27 said:

On paper is this going to be our first/best XI next season?

Pope

Trippier

Schar

Botman
Burn

Tonali

Bruno

Joelinton

Almiron

Isak

Barnes

As much as I adore Schar, really want to see a player with pace brought in next to Botman. Or alternatively the left back we target is in the Burn mold, but a lot more athletic 

First XI

Pope

Tripper

Schar

Botman

Burn

Tonali

Bruno

Joelinton

Almiron

Isak

Barnes

Second XI

Dubravka

Krafth

Lascelles 

Burn (I know, I know)

Targett

Anderson

Longstaff 

Willock

Murphy

Wilson

Gordon

Spares: Karius, Gillespie, Dummett, Richie, Lewis, Manquillo, Ashby, Miley.

7 minutes ago, STM said:

First XI

Pope

Tripper

Schar

Botman

New Lb

Tonali

Bruno

Joelinton

New Rw

Isak

Barnes

Second XI

Dubravka

Krafth

Back up CB

Burn

Targett

Anderson

Longstaff 

Willock

Miggy

Wilson

Gordon

Spares: Karius, Gillespie, Dummett, Richie, Murphy Lewis, Manquillo, Ashby, Miley.

Sell Lascelles

New LB New right winger and a back up Centre back and i reckon that will he as strong as a squad as I've ever seen us have

I'm really excited to see how Eddie Howe balances the number of games but also the competition and match ups.

Perfect example is Dan Burn. Assuming he is the starting LB, you could rotate Targett. However, depending on the match ups and frequency/value of games you could decide to start Targett just so you can use Burn in the center as rotation for Botman. Rather than depend on Dummett. 

I think it will be a new challenge for EH to look 4-5 games out and figure out rest for the starters in a way that doesn't mean we are throwing away a game because our bench is not there yet.

I'm also curious if he will keep working a second formation and make us more flexible both in game but also when rotating players.

Joelinton (flexible position but on the left-hand side of a midfield ideally)

Bruno (flexible position, unsure if he plays deeper than Tonali or not and if they will interchange)

Tonali (flexible position, unsure if he plays more advanced than Bruno or if they will interchange)

Willock (played best stuff on the left but not defined)

Gordon (no idea where his best position is)

Almiron (defined position - RW)

Barnes (defined position - LW)

Murphy (defined position - RW)

Anderson (played best stuff on the left but not defined)

Isak (hopefully defined as CF but with option to drift wide and deep where appropriate)

Wilson (defined - CF)

Do people agree with this? Feel like there’s a ton of uncertainty about what’s going to happen in our wide roles and attacking midfield roles. No idea what the pecking order will be with those 

Think we're stacked in the forward 6 positions now, Miley and Anderson belong there.

A bit more quality at the back to add to the depth and we're going to finish up there again. 

Sell Lewis and Manquillo and bring in Tierney and Livramento and we're sorted. 

Edited by Optimistic Nut

• 2 weeks later...

As a squad we scored 68 league goals last season. I think we need to aim for 80+ goals next season. We might not achieve it but we should get close.

Our (now) front 6 for this season scored 60 PL goals between them last season (Wilson 18, Isak 10, Barnes 13, Almiron 11, Murphy 4, Gordon 4). Assuming we don't add another attacker, although I'd love Zaniolo, I think he'd be perfect for us, 60 is bang on target for the attackers.

Midfield is where we need to improve. We scored 8 goals from midfield last season, if you count Joelinton as a winger. This season I see him playing in midfield, so we have Joelinton (6 last season), Bruno (4), Tonali (2 in Serie A), Willock (3), Longstaff (1), Anderson and Miley. We really need around 20 goals from that group.

Then goals from defence. For the love of god can someone teach them how to attack a dead ball :lol: 3 goals is a poor return. 1 from Burn, 1 from Schar and 1 from Trippier. On that note, we must have only scored 1 single direct free kick all season? Plenty of room for improvement here. We should be able to count on 5 goals minimum from the defence as a group, especially if that includes our main free kick taker. Hopefully any new defenders we bring in will help in this regard.

From the numbers, it seems like we don't need another winger/attacker. I'd still love to see a real top quality player come in to take that RW spot though.

Edited by Sean