Squad & tactics (2023/24)

LoveItIfWeBeatU

• 1 year later...

Fuck I love this shit. Overhauling this squad is not just short term reality but a countdown. Happy days. 

Walk of atonement:

Bruce and bobbins staff

Gayle

Shelvey

Wishing you well in your future endeavors...as soon as we can replace ye:  

Dummett

Clark

Mark Gillespie

Krafth

Ritchie

Hendrick

Darlow

Manquillo

See if they can adapt and excel with better coaching and players around them: 

Joelinton 

Lewis

Fraser

Longstaff 

Shortstaff

Murphy

Hayden

Woodman

Not to blast into space... until such time as we grow weary of them:

Lascelles - could be in the above category or the below. 

Schar - bit like Jamaal think he will be a different player but could also be phased out.

Fernandez - he will be phased out quicker than the rest, but deserves to stay as long as he is useful.

Cornerstones to keep: (can't wait to see these guys with better players around them) 

Dubravka

Almiron 

Willock 

Wilson  

Saint-Maximin  

January needs: (furthr summer additions)

2 (1) Central or Defensive mid 

1 (1) striker

1 (1) CB

Upgrade fullback on either side.

Can't see more the 4 coming in at January but who knows.

1 hour ago, toontownman said:

Fuck I love this shit. Overhauling this squad is not just short term reality but a countdown. Happy days. 

Walk of atonement:

Bruce and bobbins staff

Gayle

Shelvey

Wishing you well in your future endeavors...as soon as we can replace ye:  

Dummett

Clark

Mark Gillespie

Krafth

Ritchie

Hendrick

Darlow

Manquillo

See if they can adapt and excel with better coaching and players around them: 

Joelinton 

Lewis

Fraser

Longstaff 

Shortstaff

Murphy

Hayden

Woodman

Not to blast into space... until such time as we grow weary of them:

Lascelles - could be in the above category or the below. 

Schar - bit like Jamaal think he will be a different player but could also be phased out.

Fernandez - he will be phased out quicker than the rest, but deserves to stay as long as he is useful.

Cornerstones to keep: (can't wait to see these guys with better players around them) 

Dubravka

Almiron 

Willock 

Wilson  

Saint-Maximin  

January needs: (furthr summer additions)

2 (1) Central or Defensive mid 

1 (1) striker

1 (1) CB

Upgrade fullback on either side.

Can't see more the 4 coming in at January but who knows.

Think you are being pretty generous there. Beyond Dubravka, Wilson, ASM and Willock maybe, there isn't anyone who I'd be that bothered about. Schar and Fernandez should be good for a while yet, but even Almiron will need to show some shooting boots if he wants to survive past the next year or so. 

Hoping some of the young players could have a role to play in the future too. With good players around them and a manager who can actually manage them to become better players.

Thinking of Kell Watts, Elliott Anderson, Joe White for example.

Edited by Toon No9

57 minutes ago, Beth said:

Almiron is nowhere near good enough for where we want to be in a couple of years time.

It won't be a couple of years imho. So this lad is more than good enough to be involved in the first steps we will be taking to rebuild and regenerate.

This is going to be a long haul and a long period of reconstruction. This club has been underfunded and under developed for the best part of almost a decade and a half.

That takes some time to repair, across all the aspects we need to be rebuilt on.

2 hours ago, Beth said:

Almiron is nowhere near good enough for where we want to be in a couple of years time.

Fortunately for him, we’re not where we want to be in a couple years time.

• 4 weeks later...

In light of the Emery news, I wonder who in the squad is best positioned to benefit. Seems Emery likes a 4-2-3-1 with two defensive-minded CMs, fullbacks who can push up the pitch, and a keeper who can play it out of the back.

Hayden-Willock would be our immediate best CM pairing, imo, with Almiron central behind Wilson. ASM and Joe out wide. Does Lewis get another chance at LB?

Hopefully the likes of Shelvey and Ritchie are put out to pasture.

4 minutes ago, Tomato Deuce said:

In light of the Emery news, I wonder who in the squad is best positioned to benefit. Seems Emery likes a 4-2-3-1 with two defensive-minded CMs, fullbacks who can push up the pitch, and a keeper who can play it out of the back.

Hayden-Willock would be our immediate best CM pairing, imo, with Almiron central behind Wilson. ASM and Joe out wide. Does Lewis get another chance at LB?

Hopefully the likes of Shelvey and Ritchie are put out to pasture.

Almiron could benefit the most as we'll actually play a formation that incorporates his best position.

I'd think Lewis will soon come back in to the side too.

Guest reefatoon

I can't wait to see what he is going to do. My interest has come flooding back now we are not just picking 11 random players and saying "let's play".  Fucking hell it's been a tough old watch.