Squad & tactics (2023/24)

LoveItIfWeBeatU

We desperately need a CM (we need 2 quality CM starters in, really) and a left back. I think our CB core is still salvageable but we should probably be looking to get a really strong defender in there who comfortable in either a back 2 or 3. 

Our season really hinges on the fitness of Wilson, which isn't the type of bet you'd really want to be making. So we really, really need another quality striker in who can play across the frontline.

I think we probably need to be spending £80m minimum in Jan to get in the level of quality we need.

Do we give everyone a clean slate under Howe (if it is indeed him) and see what he can do/bring/get out of the players or do we never want to see say Shelvey and others anywhere near the squad again etc. I think it’s worthy of a discussion given how much Rafa improved seemingly every player and many I wouldn’t have had anywhere near the first-team or would have happily seen peddled or not signed of some of those he did sign.

1 minute ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I don't want to type what I've thought about Shelvey, because I know it's wishful thinking and I'll rightly be rinsed for it :lol:

Go ahead, this is a new era!

Criminal the shite we have here atm.

Keepers: Dubravka decent but injury prone, the rest are shite.

Defenders: Lascelles, Clark and Dummett all still here from the championship season, all mediocre to shite depending on whos managing them. Only Schar and Fernandez have any quality but have hardly had a look in. In terms of fullbacks, Krafth is hopeless, Lewis looks out of his depth, Manquillo best of a bad bunch.

Midfielders: Shelvey, Hayden and Ritchie all survivors of the championship and all given extended contracts, none good enough. Neither Longstaff will amount to anything either imo. Hopefully Willock does not turn into Kennedy Mk 2. In ASM, Almiron, Fraser and Murphy we have enough in the wide areas for now.

Attackers: Wilson aside the rest are dross and should be jetisoned asap.

17 minutes ago, Beth said:

Criminal the shite we have here atm.

Keepers: Dubravka decent but injury prone, the rest are shite.

Defenders: Lascelles, Clark and Dummett all still here from the championship season, all mediocre to shite depending on whos managing them. Only Schar and Fernandez have any quality but have hardly had a look in. In terms of fullbacks, Krafth is hopeless, Lewis looks out of his depth, Manquillo best of a bad bunch.

Midfielders: Shelvey, Hayden and Ritchie all survivors of the championship and all given extended contracts, none good enough. Neither Longstaff will amount to anything either imo. Hopefully Willock does not turn into Kennedy Mk 2. In ASM, Almiron, Fraser and Murphy we have enough in the wide areas for now.

Attackers: Wilson aside the rest are dross and should be jetisoned asap.

Agree completely.

He will need to work miracles to get us some points before jan

If we use the Howe 4-4-1-1:

Wilson

Joelinton/Almiron    

Maxi                                 Almiron/Fraser

Hayden Willock 

Lewis     Schar    Fede    Manquillo 

Dub 

Would obviously love to upgrade most positions, but i think that provide some balance. That support striker position in his old systems has to be able to link up play, contribute in attack and press - likely Almiron is best suited for it because it gets him back into his best position and he's far better than he's shown here.  Joelinton on the wing is useless IMO. 

8 minutes ago, Kanji said:

Wilson

Joelinton/Almiron    

Hayden Willock 

Dub 

Slot a proper #10 into that formation (Coutinho?) in place of Joelinton and that starts to look half decent. Or alternatively move Willock into the #10 and fill his CM slot with someone who can run a game.

We seriously lack depth though. One injury and we're bringing the championship dross back into the side.

CM (first team)

CF (second choice)

LB (first team)

W (first team/rotation)

... in that order imo.

We could almost get away without a CM if we had a better functioning forward line but the quickest, most transformative, move would be to find a major upgrade to Hayden. Push him and, more importantly, Shelvey further down the pecking order and find someone to get the best out of Willock again. 

Up front; having Gayle and Joelinton as the only alternatives to Wilson is helping no one at all. We desperately need some capable backup because, with Wilson's injury record, they'll play half the games anyway.

Improving the full-backs goes without saying, particularly down the left. Ritchie (by all accounts) and Lewis are both terrible. The right is less urgent as Manquillo is a decent player, but aspirationally we need to upgrade there too. 

We're really short on orthodox wingers who are any use in terms of offering genuine balance and/or 'something different'. ASM, fine. Almiron, not a winger. Ritchie is poor; Fraser is finished; jury's probably still out on Murphy, but you wouldn't have much faith in him having a meaningful contribution here before he inevitably leaves. So we could really do with an addition in this department. 

37 minutes ago, Kanji said:

Wilson

Joelinton/Almiron    

Hayden Willock 

Dub 

The No 10 in that formation would have to do a ton of graft or we'd get swamped in the middle.

1 hour ago, Ed210 said:

I would love it if a proper manager gets the best out of Big Joe. 

I think the last one probably did tbh. Flashes of competence is as good as it's going to get with this guy I reckon. 

Would be nice to be wrong but he'd be the first one out of the door for me, followed by Shelvey. 

I'd like to see virtually all of the 2016/17 Championship lot fuck off soon as this season is over. I could live with Lascelles and Hayden being squad players.

Clark, Shelvey, Gayle, Dummett, Darlow & Ritchie I'd have out the door ASAP.

I'd bin Hendrick and Krafth too. Both bang average shite favoured by Fat Head. 

The rest I think all have their merits and even ones that look like no hopers like Longstaff S and Lewis I'd like to see under a proper manager.