Squad & tactics (2023/24)

LoveItIfWeBeatU

Villarreal (4-4-2, 4-3-3): https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/unai-emery/leistungsdatenDetail/trainer/5075/verein_id/1050/datum_zu/2020-07-23/datum_ab/2021-11-02

Arsenal (4-2-3-1, 3-4-1-2, 3-4-2-1): https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/unai-emery/leistungsdatenDetail/trainer/5075/verein_id/11/datum_zu/2018-07-01/datum_ab/2019-11-29

PSG (4-3-3): https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/unai-emery/leistungsdatenDetail/trainer/5075/verein_id/583/datum_zu/2016-07-01/datum_ab/2018-06-30

Sevilla (4-2-3-1): https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/unai-emery/leistungsdatenDetail/trainer/5075/verein_id/368/datum_zu/2013-01-14/datum_ab/2016-06-30

4-2-3-1:

Dubravka

Manquillo  Fernandez  Schar  Lewis

Willock  Longstaff

Saint-Max      Almiron      Joelinton

Wilson

3-4-2-1 (5-2-2-1):

Dubravka

Manquillo  Schar  Lascelles  Fernandez  Lewis

Willock  Longstaff

Saint-Max                               Almiron

Wilson

4-3-3:

Dubravka

Willock  Hayden  Longstaff

Saint-Max  Wilson  Almiron

Think 4-3-3 is the worst fit for our current squad, largely due to having to play Miggy out of position and because our CM options are so poor. I'd be surprised if he didn't go back to 3-4-2-1/5-2-2-1, but I'd like to see the 4-2-3-1 to get Lascelles out of the team and to see Joelinton given a run in his best position under a good manager. That three behind Wilson could be very fluid and it gives us an aerial target, which we sorely lacked on Saturday.

Aye. Need someone like a Torreira or Kamara in January. Hayden and Willock should be our midfield 2 in a 4-2-3-1, with Willock being more advanced so when we attack its more akin to a 4-1-4-1 that Leicester use. Almiron in the 10, ASM and either Fraser or Murphy out wide. Lewis at LB.

I think we'll need a holding MF (Hayden) until the back line gets sorted so 4-3-3 makes the most sense to me.  Play Willock and Longstaff in front of them with ASM and Miggy on the wings (have them swap position through out the game).  I want to see what Lewis does with a real coach.

Dubs

Mang  Lascelles  Schar  Lewis

Hayden

Longstaff        Willock

Miggy                                       ASM

Wilson

Can't wait to see some new lads in the black and white, like. I've gone from having all the time in the world for 'Rafa's players' to, at best, just being bored rigid. Last two years really have tarnished any love for basically anything at the club. Don't think there's a single player at the club I'd be sorry to see go, including our better ones, who mean very little to me at this point. 

But , for the sake of being less miserable, I'd be pleased to see Almiron and Schar being brought back in, and in positions that they're strong in. There's no mystery as to why we've had a totally dysfunctional attack post Rondon-Perez-Almiron, because - despite any talent the players since then might have - there's been no strategy in mind. Just an assumption that they can play together. However, that was with Steve Bruce in charge. 

It might be quite fascinating to see if Emery can actually get a functioning unit out of Wilson, ASM, Almiron and Willock. I guess we'll finally see also whether or not Joelinton was just suffering from the poor management. Don't have high hopes for him, mind. 

Dubravka

Manquillo - Schär - Fernández - Dummett 

Hayden - Willock

Jow/ASM           Almiron            Jow/ASM

Wilson

The lineups pick themselves:

4-3-3  

Dubs

Manquillo     Fernandez   Schar    Lewis/Dummett

Hayden

Willock   Longstaff/Shelvey

Miggy                                                         ASM

Wilson

5-4-1

Dubs

Fernandez   Schar  Dummett

Manq/Murphy                                                Lewis

Willock       Hayden

Miggy                                                         ASM

Wilson

And when you look at both lineups, you wonder how the fuck we're rooted in the relegation zone. And then you remember Bruce and Jones picking Krafth, Fraser, Clark, Ritchie etc.

4231 (* denotes new signing needed desperately in January)

Dubz

Manquillo

Fernandez*

Schar

Lewis*

Willock

Hayden*

Murphy*

Miggy

ASM

Wilson

January signings: Tarkowski, Zinchenko, Coutinho, Lingaard, plus a couple more to give us options.

4 hours ago, STM said:

4231 (* denotes new signing needed desperately in January)

Dubz

Manquillo

Fernandez*

Schar

Lewis*

Willock

Hayden*

Murphy*

Miggy

ASM

Wilson

January signings: Tarkowski, Zinchenko, Coutinho, Lingaard, plus a couple more to give us options.

[emoji38]

On 02/11/2021 at 11:09, Rich said:

Villarreal (4-4-2, 4-3-3): https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/unai-emery/leistungsdatenDetail/trainer/5075/verein_id/1050/datum_zu/2020-07-23/datum_ab/2021-11-02

Arsenal (4-2-3-1, 3-4-1-2, 3-4-2-1): https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/unai-emery/leistungsdatenDetail/trainer/5075/verein_id/11/datum_zu/2018-07-01/datum_ab/2019-11-29

PSG (4-3-3): https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/unai-emery/leistungsdatenDetail/trainer/5075/verein_id/583/datum_zu/2016-07-01/datum_ab/2018-06-30

Sevilla (4-2-3-1): https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/unai-emery/leistungsdatenDetail/trainer/5075/verein_id/368/datum_zu/2013-01-14/datum_ab/2016-06-30

4-2-3-1:

Dubravka

Willock  Longstaff

Saint-Max      Almiron      Joelinton

Wilson

3-4-2-1 (5-2-2-1):

Dubravka

Manquillo  Schar  Lascelles  Fernandez  Lewis

Willock  Longstaff

Saint-Max                               Almiron

Wilson

4-3-3:

Dubravka

Willock  Hayden  Longstaff

Saint-Max  Wilson  Almiron

Think 4-3-3 is the worst fit for our current squad, largely due to having to play Miggy out of position and because our CM options are so poor. I'd be surprised if he didn't go back to 3-4-2-1/5-2-2-1, but I'd like to see the 4-2-3-1 to get Lascelles out of the team and to see Joelinton given a run in his best position under a good manager. That three behind Wilson could be very fluid and it gives us an aerial target, which we sorely lacked on Saturday.

fuckit-work.gif

7 minutes ago, Mr Raspberry Jam said:

Always think ASM is better on the wing with him being our only ball carrier. 

Same with Almiron. Get those two on the wings and Willock in the #10 role.

And what the fuck is Clark doing in there FFS!? The only place he should be is in the sea

1 hour ago, steve_69 said:

Same with Almiron. Get those two on the wings and Willock in the #10 role.

And what the fuck is Clark doing in there FFS!? The only place he should be is in the sea

Agree. If we are to go with Howe's 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1, then it has to be Almiron and ASM on the wings, and Willock (who hasn't looked great in a central midfield role) as a 10 behind Wilson.

Hayden is probably one of the first names in central midfield, considering the dearth in that area. As many have mentioned, it is imperative we bring in a CM or two in January.

4 at the back - Schar has to be there if Howe wants to play from the back. Would like to give Lewis a second chance and see how he progresses with a proper manager. Manquillo another "first name" due to lack of good options.

Then ship the likes of Shelvey, Ritchie and Clark out once we have better replacements.