Squad & tactics (2023/24)

LoveItIfWeBeatU

Just now, Yorkie said:

We need to make use of Almiron, like. Used properly he'll exhaust defenders and create space for the more potent attackers (at intended when we signed him). Lad has been wasted these last two years. 

Statistically at least, we're far better off when he plays through the middle. He might not be the most able, but his work rate and ability to commit opposition players make him a must start. 

My only issue with that is I think I'm one of the few people who prefers ASM in a free role behind the forward. When Almiron starts he usually ends up out wide.

Gonna be interesting to see which of our players respond to Howe.

Its safe to say they are all under performing and Howe should be able to improve them. Obivously some players are gonna respond more than others,

Imagine if Joe Lintone and Hendrick become decent but ASM and Dubs turn to shit [emoji38]

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

Statistically at least, we're far better off when he plays through the middle. He might not be the most able, but his work rate and ability to commit opposition players make him a must start. 

My only issue with that is I think I'm one of the few people who prefers ASM in a free role behind the forward. When Almiron starts he usually ends up out wide.

It's a tough one because we need our wingers to track back, which ASM doesn't do. Remember that game where we got destroyed by Lamptey and ASM just couldn't defend against Lamptey to save his life. He ended up sulking and getting subbed off I believe. 

If it was Almiron on that left side tracking Lamptey I'm certain he would have done a miles better job shutting him down.

I guess this is where we have to trust Howe to get the tactics right and adjust for the opposition which he often does.

The game Bournemouth beat Conte's Chelsea 3-0 at Stamford bridge was the first time they had played 3-4-3 and Howe did it to match them and press their wide CB's.  

Due to the dysfunctional squad management over the last two and a bit years, if we're going to play all of our best players then there's going to have to be some compensating somewhere - be it in the form of at least one player not playing in their preferred position and/or performing roles that perhaps don't come naturally. Where, previously, this would result in 'square pegs in round holes' - very much in a pejorative sense - now we'll have a manager who's creative, has a flair for formulating a good attacking unit, and can improve players. So I think we can have some optimism that we'll come up with something. 

Remember when we didn't have threads like this because we had Rafa and he had almost universal trust from the fanbase? Like, no point even talking about it lads, Rafa has got this.

It was a surreal feeling. That's what i'm hoping Eddie can restore.

28 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

We need to make use of Almiron, like. Used properly he'll exhaust defenders and create space for the more potent attackers (at intended when we signed him). Lad has been wasted these last two years. 

Yep. Get him in the middle, running with the ball to the left wing, dragging the defence over . Then give it to ASM, drifting in from the left, to exploit the space.

2 minutes ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

Long term I don't see it, almost 30 and keeps picking up injuries 

If we can get younger, better and fitter then that's what we should do

In the same sense I'd rather replace Willock with someone like Frenkie de Jong.

Wilson's got at least another 2 years with us, and with the right team around him he'll score loads.

Just looking at this season only:

Dubravka

Woodman

Gillespie

sell Darlow

Lascelles

Schar

Dummett

sell Fede, Krafth, Clark

Manquillo

Lewis

Ritchie

Murphy

Longstaff

Hayden

Willock

sell Shelvey, Hendrick

ASM

Almiron

Fraser

Big Joe

Wilson

Gayle       

Darlow is redundant and even with heath issues Dubravka is far and away our best.  Woodman didn't impress but I still think I'd rather him back up Dubravka than Darlow.       

Fede and Clark are too old and slow.  Krafth is redundant at CB and WB/FB.  If we play 3 at back keep Fede.  We need a PL quality CB badly no matter what and another younger guy to bring along would be helpful.

Ritchie and Murphy are serviceable as back up but Ritchie should be gone in June.  If we can find someone for RB in January we should go for it.

We need two here for sure.  This is the biggest problem area for Howe.  If he can define roles and play players who fit them then the defense and offense will improve.

I think we're OK here for the season.

Definitely need another quality striker.  Can't rely on Wilson to stay heathy

6 out 6 in  

We definitely need another centre forward, if Wilson gets injured we are completely toothless! I do not want wilson out the team as for me he is our best player.

We need a central defender who is consistent and can bring the ball out, we can then decide on which of the ones we have left steps up to make a decent pairing.

We need a left back desperately, Lewis needs nurtured and obviously is not ready, there are no other half decent players there... Manquillo at right back is fine.

Dynamic Ball winning powerhouse midfielder is very lacking.

A right winger would be a bonus (Zaha??? yes pls)

If Dubs is over his Euros form then I don´t think a keeper is essential, keep Darlow for back up.

Hayden is decent cover for a holding midfielder

Willock and longstaff should get better

Almiron needs technical direction and he will be great.

ASM is the black or white case for me, he either responds and starts playing for the team or we might see him jettisoned...

On 09/11/2021 at 14:21, Consortium of one said:

Just looking at this season only:

Dubravka

Woodman

Gillespie

sell Darlow

Lascelles

Schar

Dummett

sell Fede, Krafth, Clark

Manquillo

Lewis

Ritchie

Murphy

Longstaff

Hayden

Willock

sell Shelvey, Hendrick

ASM

Almiron

Fraser

Big Joe

Wilson

Gayle       

Darlow is redundant and even with heath issues Dubravka is far and away our best.  Woodman didn't impress but I still think I'd rather him back up Dubravka than Darlow.       

Fede and Clark are too old and slow.  Krafth is redundant at CB and WB/FB.  If we play 3 at back keep Fede.  We need a PL quality CB badly no matter what and another younger guy to bring along would be helpful.

Ritchie and Murphy are serviceable as back up but Ritchie should be gone in June.  If we can find someone for RB in January we should go for it.

We need two here for sure.  This is the biggest problem area for Howe.  If he can define roles and play players who fit them then the defense and offense will improve.

I think we're OK here for the season.

Definitely need another quality striker.  Can't rely on Wilson to stay heathy

6 out 6 in  

Cant agree with getting rid of Ritchie given he has created 25 goalscoring chances for us in this 20/21 season which is the 5th highest in the EPL.  Its not his fault we havent converted them into goals.

On 09/11/2021 at 10:28, Happinesstan said:

Yep. Get him in the middle, running with the ball to the left wing, dragging the defence over . Then give it to ASM, drifting in from the left, to exploit the space.

Yes, as I saw a you tube clip of some training, and there was the impression of 'crossing' over as you describe, I think this something that has been lacking in recent 'years'.

As for when you read or hear how we score (when we do) a goal, it always seems to me that the play has been down either wing, or from a set piece.

Does anyone know the last time we scored when the play when 'down the middle' ? (In advance of replies pointing out the error of that statement - I stand corrected).

3 minutes ago, Mr Raspberry Jam said:

Hendrick v Wolves?

Yes, but looking at it the ball originally went across and was then brought back to the middle - but I take that, yes, this was down the middle.

I think what we saying is a type of goal that breaks from our half - and then results in a goal from 'down the middle'.

They I feel are few and far between.

I guess Schar and Lewis, in that they might play. 

Hopefully Big Joe, can’t say I’m confident but it’s possible.

Shelvey will be an interesting one for me. Has to be tempting for any incoming manager to try and get something out of him. Especially if they imagine more legs coming in January around him. 

1 hour ago, arnonel said:

Which players do you think will look completely different under Howe?

For me its Longstaff, Hayden and Fraser

Given that we won't be sitting back and inviting pressure all game, I think that everybody will look completely diiferent. I'd imagine that we'll get more out of Almirion, Willock, and Hayden. Maybe Murphy. Schar is just about my favoriete player, so I just like to see him play.  

I had considered he wouldn't be starting any of the internationals, but there's no real reason for it. Let's say he's focussed last weeks training on the system we're going to be deploying at the weekend. He'll obviously continue that this week, with the addition of the returning nationals. If any of them make it look better than last week, I think they'll be in.

44 minutes ago, STM said:

So realistically Miggy gets back training on Thursday? Can't see him starting.

Aye. Think that means the bench for Miggy. If we can focus on getting Lewis and Schar drilled on the defensive set-up, and more importantly Dubs, then we might see them. I think Dubs has to start regardless.

So the first pick was:

Darlow

Murphy Schär Lascelles Clark Ritchie

Shelvey Willock

Joelinton Saint-Maximin

Wilson

5-4-1 / 5-2-2-1 Rafa style

How would people improve on that moving forward?

Assuming we’ll keep the shape for Arsenal due to being underdogs, I’d just like to see Dubravka, Manquillo, Fernandez, and Lewis coming in for Darlow, Murphy, Clark, and Ritchie. Would be surprised to see Ritchie dropped, though.

Then for the next home game I hope we get:

Dubravka

Manquillo Schär Fernandez Lewis

Fraser Shelvey Willock Saint-Maximin

Joelinton

Wilson

4-4-1-1 / 4-4-2 / 4-2-3-1 Eddie style

Almiron literally the only player I’d feel harsh on of those not selected.