Squad & tactics (2023/24)

LoveItIfWeBeatU

Those Bruno compilations really stress the need for pace and movement - if Ekitike can play wide I hope we use him over Fraser, especially so in the absence of Wilson. Fraser-Wood-ASM isn't a particularly dynamic front three.

2 minutes ago, jack j said:

Will be shelvey ahead of Willock like

Is Ekitike gonna be a wide striker?

Yeah I know shelvey will most likely play this is just what I hope Eddie goes for.

I've seen the Etikite has played on the wing before and I think he might provide more of a goal threat than fraser, with Bruno's passes and Wood's knock ons.

As it looks likely to be, for me:

Goalkeepers: Dubravka, Darlow, Gillespie
Defenders: Trippier, Manquillo, Krafth, Schär, Lascelles, Burn, Fernandez, Dummett, Targett
Midfielders: Fraser, Murphy, Willock, S. Longstaff, Guimarães, Shelvey, Joelinton, Saint-Maximin, Almiron, Ritchie
Forwards: Wilson, Wood, Gayle

De-register/loan/sell: Woodman, Clark, Lewis, M. Longstaff, Hayden, Hendrick.

1 minute ago, Rich said:

As it looks likely to be, for me:

Goalkeepers: Dubravka, Darlow, Gillespie
Defenders: Trippier, Manquillo, Schär, Lascelles, Burn, Fernandez, Dummett, Targett, Lewis
Midfielders: Fraser, Murphy, Willock, S. Longstaff, Guimarães, Shelvey, Joelinton, Hayden, Saint-Maximin, Almiron, Ritchie
Forwards: Wilson, Wood, Ekitike (U21)

De-register/loan/sell: Woodman, Krafth, Clark, M. Longstaff, Hendrick, Gayle.

Midfield is still yikes, Bruno is going to have a broken back. 

Still 5 at the back for me. 

Dubs

Trips Schar Fede* Burn Targett

Willock Bruno Jow

ASM

Wood

*Might be Lascelles but him being dropped for the Saudi game might be telling, since Fede is supposedly fit again.

Get the WBs attacking, with Schar and Burn covering their positions. Jow and Bruno controlling the middle with Willock getting into the box to do what he does best.

Let ASM shine.

Edit:

Could even push Lascelles up to in line with Bruno giving us a Pulis style back 4 while we attack.

Edited by Happinesstan

11 minutes ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

Dont think we'll see 5 at the back then as Targett isnt much of a wing back from what Ive seen. Looks like he's decided on the 4. 

I've not seen him in action, so I can't say, he doesn't get many assists it seems but the one stat that interests me is his 710 points from the bonus system on FF, last season, with only 4 assists.

I got carried away with that. After some simple arithmetic I realise I don't know what that number actually means. Who cares? It's exciting times.

Edited by Happinesstan

Dubs

Tripps   Schar/Burn  Fede   Targett

Joe        Bruno

Willock

Fraser                     ASM

Wood

think that's what I'd go for given what we have currently. Ive not seen anything of Ekitike, maybe he can play either side of a front 3 and replace Fraser should he come in. Lingard the same. Obviously Wilson goes in for Wood in a month's time. Only change to that lineup I can see is a move to 5 at the back with Fede, Schar and Burn. Drop Willock or maybe even Fraser seeing as the width will be coming from the wingbacks. 

I'm very interested to see the CB pairing he goes for. I know he's mentioned Fede before and he's been out a while. I actually feel like Schar and Burn would be quite similar in terms of CB abilities. Fede more dynamic. Depends how fit and on form he is if he comes back in. Might not be as good anymore. I dont think it's an obvious choice though.

Apart from leaving out Lascelles. That's an obvious choice. 

Just now, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

Dubs

Tripps   Schar/Burn  Fede   Targett

Joe        Bruno

Willock

Fraser                     ASM

Wood

think that's what I'd go for given what we have currently. Ive not seen anything of Ekitike, maybe he can play either side of a front 3 and replace Fraser should he come in. Lingard the same. Obviously Wilson goes in for Wood in a month's time. Only change to that lineup I can see is a move to 5 at the back with Fede, Schar and Burn. Drop Willock or maybe even Fraser seeing as the width will be coming from the wingbacks. 

I'm very interested to see the CB pairing he goes for. I know he's mentioned Fede before and he's been out a while. I actually feel like Schar and Burn would be quite similar in terms of CB abilities. Fede more dynamic. Depends how fit and on form he is if he comes back in. Might not be as good anymore. I dont think it's an obvious choice though.

Apart from leaving out Lascelles. That's an obvious choice. 

I'd keep Fraser for later in the game. Take of one of the 3 CBs if we need a goal, if we're looking to protect a lead and counter he's shown he can be effective against Brentford.

Would be:

Dubravka

Trippier     Lascelles    Burn      Targett

Shelvey 

Bruno                   Joelinton

Ekitike                                    ASM

Wood

Dubravka

Trippier     Lascelles/Schar    Burn      Targett

Shelvey 

Lingard                                    ASM

Wood/Wilson from early march

Cracking side that

Edited by relámpago blanco

Just now, STM said:

Would be:

Dubravka

Trippier     Lascelles    Burn      Targett

Shelvey 

Ekitike                                    ASM

Wood

Looking at that I would rather Schar over Lascelles, but it leaves Dubs as the weak component. A top sweeper Keeper would be perfect.

1 minute ago, relámpago blanco said:

Dubravka

Trippier     Lascelles/Schar    Burn      Targett

Shelvey 

Lingard                                    ASM

Wood/Wilson from early march

Cracking side that

Nice to see my tactic of keeping the keeper by the bench for instruction, is catching on.

Think Fede just lacks the pace/stamina for this league now and especially in a back 4, there’s a reason we’ve hardly seen him play for how long now. Maybe he could be ok in a 5 but would be much less effective than Schar would be and you couldn’t get away with using both of them.

I could see this - 

Lascelles  Schar  Burn 

Trippier                                           Targett 

Bruno     Joe 

Fraser/Lingard                              ASM

Wilson/Wood

The only player who doesn’t fit well into that would be Wood, not exactly a formation set up for his style however he could still be effective enough at retaining possession and holding the ball up. Targetts defensive qualities are great to put behind ASM and will give us confidence on that side, ASM can do what he does and take a few more risks on that side. Schars best position is in the middle of a back 5, Lascelles also used to a 5 under Rafa for all that time and will leave less responsibility on his head than it would in a 4. 

Seems Targett isn't the attacking WB I had assumed, but his passing is impressive. He'll be effective at recycling it through the middle  for ASM.

Attack the right with Trippier and the left with ASM, with two big Brazilians mopping up and recycling. Willock [subject to further incomings] and Wood [likewise] scoring the goals.

Don't really need to think about defending.

Edited by Happinesstan

1 minute ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

I think he's going to keep the 4-3-3. We're going to need to give Guimaraes support & structure while he settles in, imo, and we're still likely going to need to sit deep and compact as we've not got in the pacey CB we were after.

If this is the case I’d say it’s likely we see Lascelles/Burn at the back and it will be Joe/Bruno/Willock in the middle 

I'd actually like to see Almiron revived, perhaps Bruno coming in can do that. 

Bruno and Joe playing and protecting behind in a 4-2-3-1

Dubs

Trippier - Schar - Burn - Targett

Bruno - Joelinton

ASM - Willock - Almiron

Wood

Ideally, Almiron would even play in the middle and there's someone who can come into play on the wing, whilst Willock's fresh rangy legs would be a great option from the bench. 

Wood would be a good hold up player for those runners from midfield to play into.