Squad & tactics (2023/24)

LoveItIfWeBeatU

1 minute ago, kingxlnc said:

I'd actually like to see Almiron revived, perhaps Bruno coming in can do that. 

Bruno and Joe playing and protecting behind in a 4-2-3-1

Dubs

Trippier - Schar - Burn - Targett

Bruno - Joelinton

ASM - Willock - Almiron

Wood

Ideally, Almiron would even play in the middle and there's someone who can come into play on the wing, whilst Willock's fresh rangy legs would be a great option from the bench. 

Wood would be a good hold up player for those runners from midfield to play into. 

If Howe can coach the terrible decision making out of Almiron he might still have a future here, but speed of thought and quick processing of situations isn't something that's easy to coach. My gut tells me he needs to play under a Hodgson/Rafa-type who will give him very clear instructions - run here, play this ball etc. Give him a longer leash and you get the Almiron we're seeing now

With more pieces its harder to see what Eddie might do.  Assuming no Lingard.  If Lingard, sub him for Willock.

Dubs                                                                                      Dubs

Schar         Lascelles         Burn                                  Trippier      Lascelles       Burn          Targett

Trippier                    Bruno                     Targett                                                     Bruno

Willock           Joe                                                                    Willock             Joe

ASM                                                           Miggy                                            ASM                       

Wilson/Wood                                                                       Wilson/Wood

In the 433 Miggy might provide an effective outlet for Bruno.  If we get Lingard maybe play him on the left instead of Miggy.  The idea being Miggy/Lingard and Trippier can create an overload down the right.

1 minute ago, Consortium of one said:

With more pieces its harder to see what Eddie might do.  Assuming no Lingard.  If Lingard, sub him for Willock.

Dubs                                                                                      Dubs

Schar         Lascelles         Burn                                  Trippier      Lascelles       Burn          Targett

Trippier                    Bruno                     Targett                                                     Bruno

Willock           Joe                                                                    Willock             Joe

ASM                                                           Miggy                                            ASM                       

Wilson/Wood                                                                       Wilson/Wood

In the 433 Miggy might provide an effective outlet for Bruno.  If we get Lingard maybe play him on the left instead of Miggy.  The idea being Miggy/Lingard and Trippier can create an overload down the right.

I know Miggy hasn't looked affective when picked on the right, for Bruce. But I remember under Rafa he'd quite regularly break in that direction, giving him the opportunity to switch inside to his stronger foot. Bruno could release him into space in which to compose himself.

I do hope we haven't seen the last of the smiler.

2 minutes ago, Consortium of one said:

I don't think he'll drop Shelvey and rightly so at the moment. He's involved in most of the goals we score (which admittedly isn't a lot)

I think he'll go with Bruno behind Shelvey and Big Joe. Fraser seems undroppable at the moment as well, despite being crap, so i imagine he'll be on the right

This could all change in the next 7/8 hours but assuming we get Burn and Targett in I'm happy with the look of the back 4. 

Trip  Lascelles  Burn  Targett

Obviously Schar or Fede would be preferable to Lascelles but he won't be dropped.

The Midfield is the trickiest area to consider as we've only had Bruno come in and we definitely needed more in this area.

Joelinton   Bruno   Shelvey

That would be our most likely midfield 3, with Willock and Longstaff being rotated/subbed in for various games.

The attacking front 3 is the most changeable (other than ASM). This is depends on Lingard coming in as I think he is a certain starter on the right if so.

Lingard  Wood/Wilson  ASM

Obviously Wilson starts ahead of Wood when he's back but who knows how many game Wilson will actually be able to play in the rest of this season. Almiron and Fraser could come in and player either side or its possible to switch to play with a 2 up top and 1 in behind.

Dubravka
Darlow (HG)
Gillespie (HG)

Dummett (HG)
Targett (HG)
Fernandez
Schar
Burn (HG) *Still TBC*
Lascelles (HG)
Trippier (HG)
Krafth
Manquillo

Fraser (HG)
Saint-Maximin
Bruno Guimaraes
Almiron
Shelvey (HG)
Willock (HG)
S.Longstaff (HG)
Hayden (HG)
Ritchie (HG)

Joelinton
Wilson (HG)
Wood (HG)
Gayle (HG)

Unregistered

Clark
Murphy
Lewis
Hendrick

Fairly sure M.Longstaff doesn't need to be registered yet as still classes as U21 player

Edited by NUFC

Murphy in Fernandez out. 

Hope not on the Fernandez front. Murphy has been used though, with lingard falling through I can't see him being left out.

Fuck knows who gets left out otherwise. Gayle makes sense except we have no other strikers while Wilson is out. 

I think it's between Gayle, dummett and Fernandez. Outside chance of Hayden if he is going to be out most of the season.

Edit. Good calls on krath. Tough choices. To be honest I'd dump Gayle and gamble. 

Edited by toontownman

I’d go:

Goalkeepers: Dubravka, Darlow, Gillespie

Defenders: Trippier, Manquillo, Krafth, Schär, Lascelles, Burn, Fernandez, Dummett, Targett

Midfielders: Fraser, Murphy, Willock, S. Longstaff, Guimarães, Shelvey, Joelinton, Saint-Maximin, Almiron, Ritchie

Forwards: Wilson, Wood, Gayle

De-register Clark, Lewis, and Hayden.

43 minutes ago, NUFC said:

Dubravka
Darlow (HG)
Gillespie (HG)

Dummett (HG)
Targett (HG)
Fernandez
Schar
Burn (HG) *Still TBC*
Lascelles (HG)
Trippier (HG)
Krafth
Manquillo

Fraser (HG)
Saint-Maximin
Bruno Guimaraes
Almiron
Shelvey (HG)
Willock (HG)
S.Longstaff (HG)
Hayden (HG)
Ritchie (HG)

Joelinton
Wilson (HG)
Wood (HG)
Gayle (HG)

Unregistered

Clark
Murphy
Lewis
Hendrick

Fairly sure M.Longstaff doesn't need to be registered yet as still classes as U21 player

That’s still an awful awful squad, how the fuck did we stay up under Bruce? 

Yeah you can't dump Murphy out. He is finally starting to show glimpses of ability, can cover a number of positions and has pace. 

Hayden if there is no one else. Injured but also has played like total shit even when he wasn't injured. Contributes nothing. 

Case to be made that 3-4-3 is the answer. 

Dubs 

Schar        Fede        Burn 

Trippier                                             Targett 

Guimares     Joelinton 

Fraser/Willock                                   ASM 

Wood 

What I think is the most likely (not my preferred) team is:-

Dubravka

Lascelles

Burn

Trippier

Targett

Bruno

Shelvey

Joelinton

ASM

Fraser

Wood

Then Almiron, Willock as options off the bench…

We need Wood to pull his weight and deliver some goals - and Bruno to make an immediate impact.

2 minutes ago, PatrickKluivert said:

What I think is the most likely (not my preferred) team is:-

Dubravka

Lascelles

Burn

Trippier

Targett

Bruno

Shelvey

Joelinton

ASM

Fraser

Wood

Then Almiron, Willock as options off the bench…

We need Wood to pull his weight and deliver some goals - and Bruno to make an immediate impact.

I would like to put Willock in instead of Fraser. Think he should play higher up the pitch, out on the right. If we could get him to play as he did last season it would be great.