West Ham 1 - 3 Newcastle United - 18/01/2014 - Post-match reaction from page 37

Neil

As HTT says, the side played some of the best football seen from a Newcastle team for years in the first half ; we should have been 4 up by the time they got what should have been a consolation goal just before HT but the lack of a decent second striker(plus Pardew's penchant for playing 1 up front) cost us a comfortable lead.

W Ham's goal, coming as it did right on HT, could have been very costly and I thought it was a sloppy one to concede with Krul slow to react to the situation - he is not having too great a time of it lately.

As most of us would have expected, Pardew resorted back to type in the second half, subbing Anita(who has been invaluable to us)for the footballing equivalent of a turning Queen Mary, Shola and we started to surrender the m/f to W Ham with the result that we got drawn into the usual game of ping pong...which you would expect from the 2 managers in charge of the sides. Needless to say, we once again had to endure a tense second half until Cabaye, who was superb and must have added a few million to his transfer fee, put the game out of their reach with a brilliant free kick.

I am convinced that after the bullocking Pardew received last summer from the Fat man, he has been forced to allow others on the staff - and maybe even the players - to change the style of play and this shows when he retreats once again into his shell by putting us in defence mode as soon as we get ahead in the first half and tries to hold out for 45 mins. W Ham were as bad a side as we have played all season, perhaps even worse than Palace and we should have been able to win this match by at least 3 goals after the start we had...their defence was absolutely rocking after we went 2 up and we failed to kill the game off when we should have had a very comfortable second half.

The fact that a club of our size is contemplating the likely departure of Cabaye and the fact that Shola still gets into the side instead of being in the lower reaches of the Championship is an indictment of the people running NUFC as is the fact that many fans believe we couldn't get a better manager than Pardew.

Delighted by the first half performance - esp by Cabaye's display overall - but not happy with the second half, or the subbing of Anita.

Can you imagine how we would fare if Remy, Cabaye and Tiote were removed from the side...? Don't think it couldn't happen, the more goals Remy gets, the less likely he is to join us on a permanent basis and Cabaye and Tiote are both saleable items who Ashley wouldn't hesitate to cash in on.

A nervous 2 weeks lie ahead...

As HTT says, the side played some of the best football seen from a Newcastle team for years in the first half ;

:lol: Really, you 2 are saying that?  I was there and it was canny enough but howay man.

Yeah, I'm not quite sure about that statement. West Ham were fucking awful and we were just exposing them.

Saylor should either prepared to be our 4th choice CB forever or just f*** off.

I don't think Taylor's been that bad since he came back.  A bit rusty maybe.  I agree that he needs to accept he doesn't have a right to a starting place.

As HTT says, the side played some of the best football seen from a Newcastle team for years in the first half ;

:lol: Really, you 2 are saying that?  I was there and it was canny enough but howay man.

Yeah, I'm not quite sure about that statement. West Ham were f***ing awful and we were just exposing them.

We could've easily been loosing at HT on another day... Didn't see the great performance that some of mentioned... Couple of good individual performances...

I see MOTD had a caption during our highlights which said "29 of Newcastle's goals have been scored by Frenchmen". That's because the majority of our attacking players are French. I don't know why the media keep mentioning it.

Makes no sense especially considering how much stick we took off them last January.

Well maybe in the three years Pardew has been here.

People forget that Pardew is the second longest serving manager in the PL and has been here for 3 years,,,that IS years in my book and even under Hughton I don't think we passed and moved to such good effect as we did yesterday.

That doesn't mean I think we are Real Madrid...or even close - we are used to crap football....

We could've easily been loosing at HT on another day...

:serious:

Wouldn't say 'best I've seen', but we were certainly good in the first half. 

There was 4 scrambles that could've fell more kindly to them... Wasn't like the Palace performance where they only had 3 half chances all game...

Merlin - I'd love to keep Cabaye and have a good go at the top 4, but it's not gonna happen under Ashley. The lad is all set up to have a great 2nd half of the season, ahead of the World Cup. If he wants to move on in the summer, then we are gonna have to let him go. It's not a lack of ambition on the part of the fans - it's more the owner. What Cabaye is guaranteed here is a start week in, week out. I'm not sure he would get that at Arsenal or PSG, but then again - he probably wants to win things and play in the CL.

Indeed. I won't call him a greedy bastard if he goes. I don't blame any of our good players if they want to leave.

God that 2nd half was awful. Seriously needed that 3rd goal for a morale boost at the end. Away end very subdued the whole second half was quite weird considering we were wining.

The shola for Anita sub was awful. I love hatem but he was terrible. What's more, he didn't look arsed which is unusual.

Why was remy wearing no5?

James Collins is the worst footballer iv ever seen

I love hatem but he was terrible. What's more, he didn't look arsed which is unusual.

Not surprised tbh he knows even if he has a blinder he's back on the bench next game.It's pathetic.

Also don't agree with people saying he was terrible, not that I think he was good...just think it's unfair to make any judgement till he's given more than 10/15mins.

His morale must be rock bottom now and I'm fairly sure he'll follow Cabaye out the door.  Mostly down to our managers stupidity/inability to find him a role.

Guest DebuchyAndTheBeast

By the way I just noticed that we've already won 3 times in London. Even in the season when we finished 5th we could only manage at best a draw there.  :lol:

Guest bimpy474

By the way I just noticed that we've already won 3 times in London. Even in the season when we finished 5th we could only manage at best a draw there.  :lol:

Tbf Palace and Wham weren't in the league that season :lol:

I love hatem but he was terrible. What's more, he didn't look arsed which is unusual.

Not surprised tbh he knows even if he has a blinder he's back on the bench next game.It's pathetic.

Also don't agree with people saying he was terrible, not that I think he was good...just think it's unfair to make any judgement till he's given more than 10/15mins.

His morale must be rock bottom now and I'm fairly sure he'll follow Cabaye out the door.  Mostly down to our managers stupidity/inability to find him a role.

Ben Arfa hasn't had a blinder in a while. It's hard to justify giving him any more time on the pitch at the moment.