Other clubs' transfers

TBG

I would say it isn't that good a signing. Not for the fact that Di Maria is not a good player, he's excellent,  but because if Van Gaal is going to continue with 3-5-2 he doesn't fit anywhere. Go 4-3-3 and you sacrifice Mata or a.n.other. They've quite literally shit themselves and spent a ton of money on the best player available without any thoughts as to where he's going to play.

Saying that Blind would be an excellent signing but another centre half should have been a priority. Not Di Maria.

Christ on Sunday Will Buckley made their defence look very average at times

I would say it isn't that good a signing. Not for the fact that Di Maria is not a good player, he's excellent,  but because if Van Gaal is going to continue with 3-5-2 he doesn't fit anywhere. Go 4-3-3 and you sacrifice Mata or a.n.other. They've quite literally shit themselves and spent a ton of money on the best player available without any thoughts as to where he's going to play.

Saying that Blind would be an excellent signing but another centre half should have been a priority. Not Di Maria.

We were missing 3 first team defenders to be fair. Rojo unavailable too. One more centre back is needed.

The world has gone mad, Di Maria is a very good player but seriously at that price?

Di Maria's price almost makes Andy Carroll's transfer fee to Lpool seem good business and a bit of a bargain (almost).

If he wasn't playing for Real Madrid he'd be no where near that price.

As if money is any kind of issue for ManU. They got their player and he would've even been a great addition for 15m more.

To say nothing of the fact that Di Maria is world-class.

From goal.com (I know...)

Since joining from Benfica in 2010, the first season of Jose Mourinho's reign at the Santiago Bernabeu, Di Maria has scored 22 goals in 124 league appearances, and is the third highest assist maker in Europe's major leagues, behind Lionel Messi and Mesut Ozil.

Here's a serious question; you are manager of Man U and you have 60 million to spend. Do you splash it all on Di Maria, who you'll play in a wide position and who will be reliant on a bit of a ponderous midfield to supply him or do you say splash 3 or 4 million on HBA and use the rest to get a centre half and a midfielder in?

Man U need a leader on the pitch, someone who will dominate a game, someone who really is worth 60 Million. I'm delighted they're spending that much as frankly I don't think he'll make that much of a difference and I'd rather be facing him than say a fit and motivated HBA. And is still have over 55 Million left to spend .

Guest chopey

I would say it isn't that good a signing. Not for the fact that Di Maria is not a good player, he's excellent,  but because if Van Gaal is going to continue with 3-5-2 he doesn't fit anywhere. Go 4-3-3 and you sacrifice Mata or a.n.other. They've quite literally s*** themselves and spent a ton of money on the best player available without any thoughts as to where he's going to play.

totally agree with this I can't see how he fits into a 3 5 2

Trying to work out where Di Maria is on the NUFC scale so I don't embarrass myself. Bit better than Jonas, same level as Remy but not as good as Ben Arfa?

I think everyone agrees he doesn't exactly fit 352 but quite frankly I'll be surprised if he stubbornly sticks with it.

Anyway Man Yoo have confirmed it now, complete with the tedious "Yanited are the club of my dreams " quotes.

To be honest, I have heard him talk highly of ManYoo before this.

Here's a serious question; you are manager of Man U and you have 60 million to spend. Do you splash it all on Di Maria, who you'll play in a wide position and who will be reliant on a bit of a ponderous midfield to supply him or do you say splash 3 or 4 million on HBA and use the rest to get a centre half and a midfielder in?

Man U need a leader on the pitch, someone who will dominate a game, someone who really is worth 60 Million. I'm delighted they're spending that much as frankly I don't think he'll make that much of a difference and I'd rather be facing him than say a fit and motivated HBA. And is still have over 55 Million left to spend .

Di Maria's not really a winger though. His best form for Madrid came on the left side of a midfield 3. He also played there for Benfica.

I see no reason he can't play in a midfield 3 or 4 diamond in a similar (but more offensively effective role) to his old team mate Ramires. This is how they played at Benfica:

http://www.zonalmarking.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/benfica-saviola-aimar-ramires-cardozo-diamond.jpg

Only Jose Mourinho consistently played him as a winger at club level.

I honestly said to Decky that I think Ben Arfa is class. I'd sign him for that surely.

Swansea are about to sigh Modou Barrow from my local club Östersunds FK. Quoted price is around £1.5M, which is a lot of money for us.

Will be very interesting to see how he does, the step up from the Swedish second division to the Premier League is quite big  :razz: