Jack Colback (now a free agent)

Disco
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What is fucking wrong with them? I'm not having it that he was that good for them, like.

To be fair he is a step closer to his level in the Championship so could certainly have moments to give fans hope.

What that charge did was effectively say 'we're committed to paying these guys, but they are of no use to us'. In those cases you have to record the future cost in the current year's income statement, but that doesn't impact the contracted cash flows, that is still paid out as per the contract.

So in future years the cost will not be shown on the 'wage bill' per the P&L - that's why our wages / turnover ratio last year looked lower than it probably was in cash terms. The cost had already been recorded but the cash still has to be paid.

So their wages won't appear in the future accounts?  What happens with players whose wages were put into that charge who subsequently left before the end of their contract?  Will that show up as being repaid?

The whole thing seems bloody stupid if i'm honest, what's the point?

It’s an accounting trick, and as Matt says, the those wages that were written off in 17/18 should not appear in subsequent accounts. But who is checking? Recording future losses in current accounts that in fact do not turn out to be losses can even be a crime (depending on intent), but, again, who is checking?

The whole thing seems bloody stupid if i'm honest, what's the point?

All about allocating revenue and cost into the period they actually occurred, rather than when cash changes hands- known as the ‘accruals principle’

It’s an accounting trick, and as Matt says, the those wages that were written off in 17/18 should not appear in subsequent accounts. But who is checking? Recording future losses in current accounts that in fact do not turn out to be losses can even be a crime (depending on intent), but, again, who is checking?

Trick is not really the right word. A few people have mentioned that it was used as an excuse not to spend, but that doesn’t really hold up. The club was already making a whacking loss that season without the charge. If the club wanted to manage earnings, then they would be better off looking to take a charge when we were back in the PL and profitable- we could have had two losses rather than a massive loss then a profit. So I don’t really think that would be the rationale for it.

The auditors have to consider whether the charge is reasonable (they might have suggested it themselves). If the provision turns out to be not warranted- we manage to exit the contract (player sold) or the contract is no longer onerous (the player is getting games) then the remaining element of the provision would have to be written back- this would increase profit for the period. All of these will be tested as part of the club’s audit and the charge was big enough for it to be considered material (IMO).

It’s pretty common in other industries, for example where someone has leased a warehouse they no longer need but have to keep paying for, or where they have agreed a contract at a price which is now well above market rates but I haven’t seen it used much in football. Quite often clubs have written down the value of player registrations (assets), which has a similar P&L but non-cash effect.

All of this is why it’s so frustrating that NUFC do not publish cash flow statements. If we had that, it would be much easier to see the true state of affairs within the club.

Why do they have to take a charge at all?  Why don't they just book the expenditure on the unwanted warehouse year by year?

Partly because it's not an option- there are various accounting standards which require such action to be taken- although deeming obligations to be onerous involves some subjectivity- even more so in the case of footballers.

As for why it's not recorded over time- that's really just accruals vs cash accounting- there'll be plenty of stuff on that online. It makes sense eventually, but you may lose the will to live in the process.

Guest reefatoon

What the fuck is satsuma bollocks doing on this picture?

Obviously his usual of trying to get as far away from any action as possible, the lifting ginger twat.

2019-07-17wolves-n-action-3m2.jpg

Obviously his usual of trying to get as far away from any action as possible, the lifting ginger twat.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Ah man this season is gonna be fucking laaaaaaaaaaaughs, y'all.

I think possession has probably switched over, we must have won the ball back and Jack is in the process of turning round to face play.

Guest covmag

That picture sums him up.

Back to giving loads of stupid fouls away again I bet.

Any stats on him for those 2 games?

I mean, that picture tells us absolutely nothing :lol:

It tells us he's not even looking at the ball!!

he could have been moving into position as per an instruction from coaches, nonsense to criticise him for that picture when there's so much else

He actually played quite well on Saturday.

What exactly did he do well?

I watched the game and he did nothing. Some poor passes in the final third and kept running down players giving stupid fouls away.

Can't wait to see him repeatedly give away free kicks in dangerous positions this season.  Going to be amazing.

Him back in the squad along with Shelvey playing every week and the inbound Carroll will make us a PFM's dream.

From Rafa's likeable professionals to a bunch of British thugs.

What is it they say about a team being representative of their manager?

Any player that looks at the ball at every instant in a match is going to be absolutely shit :lol:

Any player that looks at the ball at every instant in a match is going to be absolutely shit :lol:

I'd be interested to see if there's a single photo out there of another player doing what Colback is doing there. It's just so bizarre I honestly can't remember seeing it before.

I'd be interested to see if there's a single photo out there of another player doing what Colback is doing there. It's just so bizarre I honestly can't remember seeing it before.

Hate Colback but that photo means nothing tbf  :lol:

Any player that looks at the ball at every instant in a match is going to be absolutely s*** :lol:

Hate Colback but that photo means nothing tbf  :lol:

Means he's a cunt