Jack Colback (now a free agent)

Disco
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

He contributes so little. I admire the fact he tries, and he does the odd thing that's good, but overall he contributes nowhere near enough to be selected. I don't hate him, but he's a player that shouldn't be turning out for anything but a bottom of the table side.

Guest neesy111

He contributes so little. I admire the fact he tries, and he does the odd thing that's good, but overall he contributes nowhere near enough to be selected. I don't hate him, but he's a player that shouldn't be turning out for anything but a bottom of the table side.

:thup:

See I don't like him at all but his goal and assist stats last year are not insignificant.

<b>He contributes so little.</b> I admire the fact he tries, and he does the odd thing that's good, but overall he contributes nowhere near enough to be selected. I don't hate him, but he's a player that shouldn't be turning out for anything but a bottom of the table side.

I disagree with that like. I think in a Pardew / Carver team, he was expected to do more than what he's good at (which is essentially breaking up play and playing the simple ball). He's not good enough to be an all-round midfielder (although he does have a good shot from distance on him).

I think he'll be expected to do even more under Steve if he wants us to keep the ball more. It'll be even more down to him to drop into space between the opponent attackers to receive the ball from defenders, turn and play it forward or if not possible, pass it back and find a better space to receive the ball. I don't think he has that in him. Not smart enough. Not good enough.

TBF his best career performances came in a dogshit team playing listless & defensive minded possession football under Poyet at Sunlun so he might 'shine' next season when we try to do the same.

My main issue with him is that he spends more time facing his own goal than the opposition's. He seriously struggles to pass the ball forward which isn't good enough in today's game. This coupled with how often he's caught out of position and he becomes a massive liability in the side.

The bit about liking his passion is interesting too. I'd love to see us field a team of Colback's and Taylor's, I bet passion would soon be a long way down the list of priorities.

The bit about liking his passion is interesting too. I'd love to see us field a team of Colback's and Taylor's, I bet passion would soon be a long way down the list of priorities.

One of the focal points of the AshleyOut protests was 'we don't demand a team that wins, we demand a team that tries'.

Obviously there's a line but even still people need to make up their mind over what they want.

He's just solid. Decent squad player, if his role is minimised to a simple one. Shouldn't be a starter. He did OK in a couple of spells, last year, but he's generally just too passive to be a main central midfielder.

Totally agree with this.

I don't know how anyone can really like or rate him.  I mean - he's ok.  That's it.  We should be aiming higher than him and that's what worries me.  He'll end up becoming the first name on the teamsheet despite his obvious mediocrity.

One of the focal points of the AshleyOut protests was 'we don't demand a team that wins, we demand a team that tries'

No it wasn't.

One of the focal points of the AshleyOut protests was 'we don't demand a team that wins, we demand a team that tries'.

Obviously there's a line but even still people need to make up their mind over what they want.

Running around like Captain Fistpumps isn't a way of proving you're trying.

One of the focal points of the AshleyOut protests was 'we don't demand a team that wins, we demand a team that tries'

No it wasn't.

Perhaps 'focal point' is a bit strong, but this was given plenty of coverage and tweeted by AO, the BBC etc.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ashleyoutdotcom/status/594483563887722496

<b>He contributes so little.</b> I admire the fact he tries, and he does the odd thing that's good, but overall he contributes nowhere near enough to be selected. I don't hate him, but he's a player that shouldn't be turning out for anything but a bottom of the table side.

I disagree with that like. I think in a Pardew / Carver team, he was expected to do more than what he's good at (which is essentially breaking up play and playing the simple ball). He's not good enough to be an all-round midfielder (although he does have a good shot from distance on him).

Well I'm happy to revise my opinion if he's given a different role and does it well. All I can go on is what I've seen.

No it wasn't.

Perhaps 'focal point' is a bit strong, but this was given plenty of coverage and tweeted by AO, the BBC etc.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ashleyoutdotcom/status/594483563887722496

I don't see any mention of "a team that tries." A club that tries is a very different concept - hence the use of a different word. If they wanted to use 'team' twice, they'd have done that.

My view is that a club who was trying wouldn't have Jack Colback anywhere near the fucking place.

Really don't get the hate for this bloke, if it's based on last season then each player (bar Janmaat and perez) should have their own threads full of hate.

His is a position, our so called defensive midfiled, I'd be looking to fill after a centre half and before another forward, but, with a differing style of play and better options to pass to, a forward who can hold the ball up, it's quite possible we could see a better season from him. and I'd have him in before Anita, for me, Anita can only play in a 3 man midfield.