Jack Colback (now a free agent)

Disco
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Smith was fucking terrible in the Championship. :lol: I remember thinking we'd win the league when we played Swansea away and we were absolutely shit with him and Butt in midfield and still somehow won.

We won the league at a canter because Guthrie moved into the middle from the right and because we signed Routledge.

Smith and Butt as the central midfield pairing.  :jesuswept:

It's quite frustrating that even now we still think it's a good idea to play two central midfielders who can't actually carry the ball forward for more than 3 yards before looking to pass the ball to someone else.

Both Colback and Noble were f***ing awful at times yesterday. Yet they are both almost guaranteed a start. I honestly have no idea what managers see, in these sideways and backwards cloggers. Yes Noble is the captain, but he is still a very limited footballer. I guess occasionally getting stuck in, and taking the easy option pass every time, is enough to please managers and some fans.

Passhun  :anguish:

Think that's harsh on Noble. Technically a very good footballer.

Colback was shocking the other night but have no fear he will never be dropped.

I think he'd actually be a half decent option for you lot at left back where his flaws are less exposed.

His shitness was only surpassed by Haidara against West Ham

Smith was fucking terrible in the Championship. :lol: I remember thinking we'd win the league when we played Swansea away and we were absolutely shit with him and Butt in midfield and still somehow won.

We won the league at a canter because Guthrie moved into the middle from the right and because we signed Routledge.

It was Nolan and Smith in the middle that day. And yes, they were absolutely fucking shit. We drew 1-1.

Those quotes man. Jesus. I won't disagree he made the effort and I think that's where a lot of the goodwill comes from. His level so much so in the championship he ended up at MK Dons. Colback is ten times the player like but he runs around a lot chasing shadows whilst being a tidy passer so he'll get leeway. Never have I seen such a fervent defence of such a abysmal player :lol:

Those quotes man. Jesus. I won't disagree he made the effort and I think that's where a lot of the goodwill comes from. His level so much so in the championship he ended up at MK Dons. Colback is ten times the player like but he runs around a lot chasing shadows whilst being a tidy passer so he'll get leeway. Never have I seen such a fervent defence of such a abysmal player :lol:

All I was trying to say is that it's very easy to go back and say 'he was shit all the time', when he actually was significantly less shit in that season. Kevin Nolan was why we got promoted imho, nothing to do with Alan Smith, and I like I said before, I think he descended overall to an abysmal player. After that season in which he was Championship-level, he dropped off again and went MK Dons after not getting a look in after Tiote's barnstorming first season.

It's all the rage nowadays to describe careers in totality in hyperbole, when a lot of the times players have ups and downs. Alan Smith had a few ups, and lots of downs. That season was probably his best for us. Still a crap player mind, but it wasn't glaringly obvious he was the weak link in the team at the time like Cisse is for us now and Williamson before him where after every match there is outrage and justified criticism. Alan Smith hardly had any threads kept up to date in that season, because those who hated him/loathed him couldn't keep fuelling the anti-Smith feeling while he wasn't playing that bad, and he never had any fans either so he got practically no praise either.

..so if anyone wants to agree to disagree, I still say he's shit, he wasn't the reason we got promoted (that's a bit of a stretch from what I've said to say the least!), but that season in the Championship he wasn't completely out of place in our starting 11 pre-January.

We, as a club, love a pass that doesn't go infront of the man so he can run on to it. Have done for years.

Aye, loads of space in front of our full back, then we pass directly to feet rather than ahead of him

Yes, that sort of unconfident passing is a problem for our side. But Colback is the last player who can be accused of that. He is the one who most often tries to play it into someone's stride, rather than at their feet.

The player has his faults, but that's not one of them.

I use hyperbole because I believe the entire time he was here he was shite. Any contribution to promotion was minimal and his presence in the team before hand was one of the many factors that got us relegated. The best I can say is that he was a passenger the entire time. I can only assume those above said those things because they wanted to like the members of the team who stayed on. Significantly less shit :lol:

I assume your not comparing him with the Leeds United version of Alan Smith. If you are you need therapy.

We, as a club, love a pass that doesn't go infront of the man so he can run on to it. Have done for years.

Aye, loads of space in front of our full back, then we pass directly to feet rather than ahead of him

Yes, that sort of unconfident passing is a problem for our side. But Colback is the last player who can be accused of that. He is the one who most often tries to play it into someone's stride, rather than at their feet.

The player has his faults, but that's not one of them.

Him putting the ball a couple of yards in front of a fullback's foot is counteracted by how slowly he plays the pass. As well as always picking the easy option.

Barton barely featured in the time period you's are on about btw.

Midfield in the Championship was mainly Guthrie-Smith-Nolan-Jonas, until January when it was mainly Routledge-Guthrie-Nolan-Jonas.  Smith started the first few games of the following season including the 6-0 win against Villa but was soon out of the team by the time Tiote signed, Barton generally starting on the right by that stage.

Guest vondutchie

He was absolute garbage against West Ham. Everything he touched turned to shit and I lost count of the amount of times he could have fed a quick ball wide but elected to turn and play it back. This time last year he was looking really good - I'm starting to think this was only a flash in the pan though.

Guest firetotheworks

It was Nolan and Smith in the middle that day. And yes, they were absolutely fucking shit. We drew 1-1.

Drunk last night like, but aye that's the one. :lol: Worst I've ever seen us play if memory serves me correctly.

Smith was f***ing terrible in the Championship. :lol: I remember thinking we'd win the league when we played Swansea away and we were absolutely s*** with him and Butt in midfield and still somehow won.

It was Nolan and Smith in the middle that day. And yes, they were absolutely f***ing s***. We drew 1-1.

Drunk last night like, but aye that's the one. :lol: Worst I've ever seen us play if memory serves me correctly.

Quite a long list to choose from!  I'd go for the Liverpool 1-5 and 0-6 games though.  Horrendous 'performances'.

I assume your not comparing him with the Leeds United version of Alan Smith. If you are you need therapy.

Midfield in the Championship was mainly Guthrie-Smith-Nolan-Jonas, until January when it was mainly Routledge-Guthrie-Nolan-Jonas.  Smith started the first few games of the following season including the 6-0 win against Villa but was soon out of the team by the time Tiote signed, Barton generally starting on the right by that stage.

Yep.

Harper

Simpson -- Williamson -- Coloccini -- Enrique

Routledge -- Guthrie -- Nolan -- Jonas

Lovenkrands -- Carroll

... that lot didn't half absolutely piss the Championship. That second half of the season was loads of fun. 5-1, 4-1, 3-0, 6-1, 3-0, 4-1 in the space of a few weeks, 17 games unbeaten. Won seven in a row at one point during the first half of the season, too. Absolutely bummed that division.

Yep.

Harper

Simpson -- Williamson -- Coloccini -- Enrique

Routledge -- Guthrie -- Nolan -- Jonas

Lovenkrands -- Carroll

... that lot didn't half absolutely p*ss the Championship. That second half of the season was loads of fun. 5-1, 4-1, 3-0, 6-1, 3-0, 4-1 in the space of a few weeks, 17 games unbeaten. Won seven in a row at one point during the first half of the season, too. Absolutely bummed that division.

Williamson was actually decent then. Amazing he is still with us now.