Jack Colback (now a free agent)

Disco
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

He's not "poor" in the air FFS!

http://www.whoscored.com/Players/104368 Chancel Mbemba's Characteristics - have a gander at his weaknesses. These are just the facts to back up obvious observations.

So he's won half of his aerial duels? If he was poor, he'd be winning much less surely? What about strikers who score 1 out of their 3 shots? Are they poor? Anyone can use stats to prove a point. The eyes & brain combination is a better indicator IMO, and I can confidently say that Mbemba has had a very promising start to his PL career, and has shown a lot more strength than weakness. He's the least of our problems in defence.

Guest firetotheworks

Fucking aerial duels man FFS.  Have never heard one normal football fan ever use that term.

Every thread is littered with the same shit about Mbemba and Anita and them losing their aerial duels, almost always out of nowhere, out of context and in the wrong thread. It's just brought up wherever there are loads of people in one thread. Thread after thread, time after time.

http://www.whoscored.com/Players/104368 Chancel Mbemba's Characteristics - have a gander at his weaknesses. These are just the facts to back up obvious observations.

So he's won half of his aerial duels? If he was poor, he'd be winning much less surely? What about strikers who score 1 out of their 3 shots? Are they poor? Anyone can use stats to prove a point. The eyes & brain combination is a better indicator IMO, and I can confidently say that Mbemba has had a very promising start to his PL career, and has shown a lot more strength than weakness. He's the least of our problems in defence.

Aye, he's 21 and probably getting used to the pace and physicality of the league. I reckon he'll end up dominating when he plays alongside a better CB.

1. Like I said, it's an observation that i've tried to back up with facts. We've conceded goals from Mbemba losing out in the air and from his poor headed clearances. We also look very susceptible to concede from set-pieces of which Mbemba is part of the problem.

2. You really think a CB should win half his aerial battles?

By comparison:

Van Dijk has won 27 of 36.

Vertonghen  24 of 38.

Smalling 34 of 56.

Coloccini 12 of 22.

I find it disingenuous that Colback gets a lot of stick for actually engaging his brain for once and making sure not to pick up a suspension. But another player can consistently lack in such a important area for his position and it's never mentioned. The same thing happened with Colo when his lack of physicality really began to cost us.

I'm here to criticise Colback when it comes to holding on the ball for too long, always choosing the safe pass, not showing for the ball enough and being immobile as owt. But we should be fair in our assessments.

Winning half isn't really enough for a centre half like. I wouldn't worry about it too much though given he's young

Guest firetotheworks

I would suggest that you're not thick enough to not see the obvious, basic differences between Colback and Mbemba as players, their histories, the context of who they replaced etc. Especially...ye nah...in the Jack Colback thread, where Jack Colback is discussed.

I didn't bring up Chancel first. Just defended earlier points.

I'm talking strictly asessing performances. The usual about his slowness and limited passing applies but NOT getting a yellow card was a good thing and i'm glad he realised he had to be more sensible than usual. I wouldn't want Gouffran or first half Tiote starting against Sunderland in his place tbh.

Winning half isn't really enough for a centre half like. I wouldn't worry about it too much though given he's young

It's something to worry about this season tbh, as he's partnered next to someone with that exact same weakness.

I've never noticed Mbemba being poor in the air TBH.

Neither have I but then I'm reading these stats and thinking I must be seeing things. He's got beat on one for definite in one of the early games, but he seems to get up quite well for the most part. We do need a giant centre back in the back four mind, and he's not one of those. Maybe we should discuss which one we should go for in the January window in this Jack Colback thread?

1. Like I said, it's an observation that i've tried to back up with facts. We've conceded goals from Mbemba losing out in the air and from his poor headed clearances. We also look very susceptible to concede from set-pieces of which Mbemba is part of the problem.

2. You really think a CB should win half his aerial battles?

By comparison:

Van Dijk has won 27 of 36.

Vertonghen  24 of 38.

Smalling 34 of 56.

Coloccini 12 of 22.

I find it disingenuous that Colback gets a lot of stick for actually engaging his brain for once and making sure not to pick up a suspension. But another player can consistently lack in such a important area for his position and it's never mentioned. The same thing happened with Colo when his lack of physicality really began to cost us.

I'm here to criticise Colback when it comes to holding on the ball for too long, always choosing the safe pass, not showing for the ball enough and being immobile as owt. But we should be fair in our assessments.

1. The point I was making was that stats don't take into account the circumstances in which these "duels" were won or lost. A defender could still win a header by "accident", with his eyes closed, and by the same token do his utmost best to win one but fails to do so because of a nudge in the back or a missed-step etc. The stats are ridiculous in that they make all aerial duels exactly the same, which if one knew anything about football, they'd know that isn't the case. Rather than use stats, I'd rather point to the strengths and weaknesses of a player from a bird's eye view. No one denies that Mbemba has weaknesses, but he isn't "poor" in the air. Bringing this up in every thread, then going on to applaud Colback for not getting booked is insanity.

Over 9 games - everything you talk about more or less evens out. As evidence that it's no surprise that Van Dijk wins more aerial duels than Fabricio Coloccini. As evidenced that Colo who we all agree is poor in the air, has a similar success rate in the air to Chancel - lower than the others I highlighted. I'd be surprised if you could highlight more than 1 CB who is considered good in the air who has a similarly poor aerial duel stat. That's because the stat is fairly indicative of overall aerial competence for a CB.

And again - it's from an observation i've made with my eyes that i've looked to see could be substantiated with facts. That stat probably wouldn't count the first Norwich goal. Or the poor clearance for Payet's goal.  But it's indicative of the issue. We look susceptible from crosses and set-pieces. He gets beaten too often for a CB in the air.

Coloccini can control the ball fantastically well but that's about it.

He can't talk, head, run or read the game to a high enough level anymore and he's our captain.

There was a point where we were 5-2 at weekend and Coloccini was waltzing up the left wing closing their players down.

I'd rather have an average football but a fantastic defender playing there. I'd have Dummett or Taylor over him these days, easy.

I was his biggest fan around the time he signed his 5 year contract with Krul but he's regressed so far.