Hatem Ben Arfa (still a free agent)

Dave

Just came by to share some feelings as the Nice fan that I am, and say, with confidence, that seeing Ben Arfa play is better than having sex. Even with girls. :rose:

We knew he was talented, and that he would probably show some great moves from time to time. But we didn’t expect this, or at least I didn’t. And I’m not talking about his statistics here, which, surprisingly enough, are what many journalist focus on regarding Hatem’s season so far. Not that these numbers are bad, but I think they’re missing the point.

When he does what he did against Caen, or even more against St Etienne, it looks unreal. He makes defenders look funny. Just look at Clément (first guy who defended on him) turning around himself  :frantic:, and then looking right and left like a dog starring at a stick but never managing to get it. Or how he bluffed Lemoine and made him tackle himself (how fast it did that is just amazing btw). Well, I guess we could go on for hours. You just don’t expect this kind of stuff from anyone, by definition, even from the very best. So even if you know he’s a top class player, it will always remained unexpected.

But it’s not only that. The man adds his artistic touch to almost every ball he touches, even when he plays simple and makes a basic pass. He does an eye trick, a diversion, a small little something that not only looks nice (that would be enough for me actually), but often surprises the opponent. It can be unnoticed, and does not make a huge direct difference, but it is many times enough to slow down the defender for a half a second. The partner to which the ball is passed to can enjoy the extra half a second to be more comfortable and feel less pressure from the opponent.

Maybe this is what happened when we scored our first goal against St Etienne. HBA made a weird pass to the left winger, with the unexpected foot, looking elsewhere. The defender was surprised, and, therefore, arrived late on the winger, who gave an assist. Had Ben Arfa just passed the ball to him, the defender might have come on time and counter the cross pass.

Or maybe I’m overemphasizing it, but fuck that, he makes me happy so what’s the difference? And fuck the guys who tell you to calm down, not too get too excited about HBA coz it won’t last since he’s a wanker. Not that I think it will last forever, I honestly don’t ask the question. But if this does not make you feel excitement, what will? So even if he suddenly stops being so good, at least we enjoyed these moments. This is art. This is not about at what place you’ll end the league. This is an end in itself. This is football. And now I’ve seen it.

:clap:

You almost feel like Hatem Ben Arfa’s entire time on a soccer pitch was destined to culminate in this moment. For years Ben Arfa’s career has flickered with brief moments of genius, intermittently successful attempts at squeezing through the tightest of openings and twirling past the thickest swarms of defenses, tantalizing teams and fans into believing those interstitial flashes of brilliance were like glints of gold hidden underneath the layers of muck that were the allegations of a non-existent work ethic and irritability and ego.

Every time Ben Arfa tried fighting his way through a thicket of defenders or popped a 30 yard effort on goal despite an open man streaking to his right, you imagine in his mind’s eye he envisioned what he attempted looking something like this.

For once it all came together just how he imagined, and we’re happy for him. He’ll probably use this to justify each and every subsequent attempt to go it alone when the safer path involves those other 10 guys for some reason wearing the same shirt as him, but if that’s the price his teammates pay for the chance we might see another one of these winding displays that make the commentators coo like delighted children, so be it.

http://screamer.deadspin.com/this-ridiculous-solo-wondergoal-is-the-apex-of-hatem-be-1733409009

Just came by to share some feelings as the Nice fan that I am, and say, with confidence, that seeing Ben Arfa play is better than having sex. Even with girls. :rose:

We knew he was talented, and that he would probably show some great moves from time to time. But we didn’t expect this, or at least I didn’t. And I’m not talking about his statistics here, which, surprisingly enough, are what many journalist focus on regarding Hatem’s season so far. Not that these numbers are bad, but I think they’re missing the point.

When he does what he did against Caen, or even more against St Etienne, it looks unreal. He makes defenders look funny. Just look at Clément (first guy who defended on him) turning around himself  :frantic:, and then looking right and left like a dog starring at a stick but never managing to get it. Or how he bluffed Lemoine and made him tackle himself (how fast it did that is just amazing btw). Well, I guess we could go on for hours. You just don’t expect this kind of stuff from anyone, by definition, even from the very best. So even if you know he’s a top class player, it will always remained unexpected.

But it’s not only that. The man adds his artistic touch to almost every ball he touches, even when he plays simple and makes a basic pass. He does an eye trick, a diversion, a small little something that not only looks nice (that would be enough for me actually), but often surprises the opponent. It can be unnoticed, and does not make a huge direct difference, but it is many times enough to slow down the defender for a half a second. The partner to which the ball is passed to can enjoy the extra half a second to be more comfortable and feel less pressure from the opponent.

Maybe this is what happened when we scored our first goal against St Etienne. HBA made a weird pass to the left winger, with the unexpected foot, looking elsewhere. The defender was surprised, and, therefore, arrived late on the winger, who gave an assist. Had Ben Arfa just passed the ball to him, the defender might have come on time and counter the cross pass.

Or maybe I’m overemphasizing it, but fuck that, he makes me happy so what’s the difference? And fuck the guys who tell you to calm down, not too get too excited about HBA coz it won’t last since he’s a wanker. Not that I think it will last forever, I honestly don’t ask the question. But if this does not make you feel excitement, what will? So even if he suddenly stops being so good, at least we enjoyed these moments. This is art. This is not about at what place you’ll end the league. This is an end in itself. This is football. And now I’ve seen it.

My man ^^^

That touch to get it past the last player is quality. By that I mean look at where he initially intended to go, he's off to his right again so quickly. Typical of his dribbling: playing the angles and seeing space where no one else realised there was any.

In the end it got deflected making it into a chance to shoot which he also adapted to quicker than anyone, obviously.

Seen quite a bit of him recently as he's probably the most in form player in the French League at present. Must say he looks a class act. Normally I would say we should try to sign him up (especially with him being French) but I very much doubt we could convince a talent like that to come and sign for perennial relegation battlers such as ourselves.

Or maybe I’m overemphasizing it, but f*** that, he makes me happy so what’s the difference? And f*** the guys who tell you to calm down, not too get too excited about HBA coz it won’t last since he’s a w*****. Not that I think it will last forever, I honestly don’t ask the question. But if this does not make you feel excitement, what will? So even if he suddenly stops being so good, at least we enjoyed these moments. This is art. This is not about at what place you’ll end the league. This is an end in itself. This is football. And now I’ve seen it.

:clap:

Nicely put. And shame on Pardew.

Just came by to share some feelings as the Nice fan that I am, and say, with confidence, that seeing Ben Arfa play is better than having sex.

Ben Arfa's magic!

This is football. And now I’ve seen it.

Word for word how I would have put it also. :)

What a post. This is what football is about (or ought to be), getting joy from the art.

Fucking hell. Got goosebumps reading this. Amazing post.

Pff. That might wash in France but here in England people work hard for their money and want to see hard work on the pitch, players sweating blood for the shirt. We don't care how they play as long as they give 110%.

At least that's what I read in the Chronicle.

Pff. That might wash in France but here in England people work hard for their money and want to see hard work on the pitch, players sweating blood for the shirt. We don't care how they play as long as they give 110%.

At least that's what I read in the Chronicle.

Exactly. Bloody forrins coming in with their passes to unlock defences, taking jobs from hard working Brits that would try to run with the ball and not make the ball do all the work and when they lose it they'd WORK HARD and try to get the ball back.

The forrins are capable of doing a bit of running once in a blue moon, but English grit every time for me. Paul Konchesky > HBA.

Or maybe I’m overemphasizing it, but f*** that, he makes me happy so what’s the difference? And f*** the guys who tell you to calm down, not too get too excited about HBA coz it won’t last since he’s a w*****. Not that I think it will last forever, I honestly don’t ask the question. But if this does not make you feel excitement, what will? So even if he suddenly stops being so good, at least we enjoyed these moments. This is art. This is not about at what place you’ll end the league. This is an end in itself. This is football. And now I’ve seen it.

f***ing hell. Got goosebumps reading this. Amazing post.

Brought a tear to the eye.