Hatem Ben Arfa (still a free agent)

Dave

God damn it he should still be our #10

I remember the amount of fans who said he can't play through the middle. It was so weird, knowing his technical capabilities

Anyone who wanted him RW (like myself) was probably basing it on the fact that all of his best games for us came in that position. On the right there was nothing defenders could do with him. Through the middle he tended to be nullified far more easily.

I get that, but I think that can be negated by the style of football under Hoofdew...it just wasn't possible for him to succeed at #10 with hit and hope football. It may be an inferior league, but the way that he's destroying backlines through the middle shows he's pretty damn comfortable there.

In an ideal scenario, I would have liked to have seen him used flexibly in all 3 positions behind the striker (as I mentioned at the time), running at full backs at RW/LW and also looking to play between the lines at #10. A player that oozes that much class and footballing ability can be used more than in one way.

I miss him.

Easily my fave player of the last 8 years or so. Him under Bobby or KK man and even Hughton. Outrageous talent and even though his time here was brief and full of controversy, he lit that pitch up more than anyone. That goal against Bolton man!

:thup:

I remember the amount of fans who said he can't play through the middle. It was so weird, knowing his technical capabilities

Anyone who wanted him RW (like myself) was probably basing it on the fact that all of his best games for us came in that position. On the right there was nothing defenders could do with him. Through the middle he tended to be nullified far more easily.

this is true like, he never seemed to do well on the middle. he was outrageous at times on the right. the kid he murdered that villa full back was hilarious

He's massively improved his right foot and the thing he's doing now is shooting with his right which is not normal for him as he'd always be trying to get on his left peg. His style of play when he's running at players with pace is just incredible to watch, some of the stuff he can do with the ball when he's on full sprint is world class.

At his best, on form, he's unplayable IMO.

He's massively improved his right foot and the thing he's doing now is shooting with his right which is not normal for him as he'd always be trying to get on his left peg. His style of play when he's running at players with pace is just incredible to watch, some of the stuff he can do with the ball when he's on full sprint is world class.

At his best, on form, he's unplayable IMO.

His right was pretty decent when he was here, to be fair. Dat goal vs Villa. :megusta:

:thup:

this is true like, he never seemed to do well on the middle. he was outrageous at times on the right. the kid he murdered that villa full back was hilarious

I always put this down to Pardew having his team set up like a fussball board with rigid lines and no forward movement from midfield. He was too isolated the few times he played 10 for this reason and never had support.

Drop him in Perez's spot now with Sissoko and Wijnaldum breaking etc and it would be a different story imo.

Guest palnese

Just been watching some compilations.

I'm drunk and teary. I've said it before and I'll say it again- I hope I live to dance on Pardew's grave.

Outside of Shearer, I don't think I have a problem saying he's my favorite football player we've had and he'll likely be one of my all time favorites.

The mad bastard went on strike to join us, sensationally, he rose and fell and came back every single time and excited us every single time he had the ball and that collective "gooo on!" he fucking loved us, and we loved him. Had he played for the right manager he'd still be here...

I'll follow and support him wherever he goes.

Guest Howaythetoon

Shearer was probably the last true player I admired, respected and actually loved. Shay burnt his bridges and although Nolan was a good servant in ways, he was hardly a top player. Cabeye left, Ba left, Cisse is shit and Jonas although I love him as a bloke was a poor player in the main for us. HBA however was a great player, well he could have been, and showed it in a good number of games and moments. So he is probably my fave player since Shearer. That's fucking sad. What a shitty club we now are.

CTOS1rzWoAECKE5.jpg

Playing Marseille tomorrow afternoon. As French authorities have denied Nice fans the right to attend the game, the latter have decided to encourage the players before they take the bus and leave.

This picture has just been taken. Benny seems to enjoy it a lot (or maybe he enjoys having hisleft booby touched by a big african hand, hard to tell).