Hatem Ben Arfa (still a free agent)

Dave

I wonder if the fact he’s played so little the last few years might just see him to 35-36 at that level.

Can’t see why not tbf. Looks like he’ll play as a 10 for Bordeaux. His game might become less about dribbling past 5 players at once, but he will still have that change of direction and passing technique that will enable him to play there for a good while yet imo.

Love him.

He was fouled plenty of times in the same way for us I remember but rarely got the decisions. I remember that one down a villa in 2014? Right in front of us fans in the corner. Remember it didn't even get shown on the MOTD highlights when got home to see it.

He was fouled plenty of times in the same way for us I remember but rarely got the decisions. I remember that one down a villa in 2014? Right in front of us fans in the corner. Remember it didn't even get shown on the MOTD highlights when got home to see it.

I was there for that, he was so good that day, that villa full back was visibly shook what was he called? And it was the most blatant pen, it was Clark iirc basically pushed him over

Luna rings a bell, Spanish LB.

In the team of the week for Ligue 1.

Without playing much of football in the last year or two. HBA is pure magic. Hope he makes the headlines again like he did with Nice.

That fast body movement he does when he passes the ball amazes me every time.

Still one of the most entertaining players playing the game. Saint-Maximin is brilliant but he's not quite on Hatem's level for me. Anyone who claims to enjoy or love football has to simply admire him.

Saint-Max has a trick that everyone sees coming, but cant stop it. Hatem had a trick that no-one saw coming and the sat on their behind wondering what the hell just happened.

Ben arfa for me is to player you want to be when your a kid.

Its almost as if he hasnt had his natural ability trained out of him.

On pure talent alone he's one of the best that has ever been. He could do things that no player should be able to do.

Unfortunately attitude and fitness do also count, which is why he's not up there with Messi/Ronaldo, and spent his last few years flitting from team to team.

He had the misfortune to be under Pardew with us...and the Bruce at Hull. Just imagine him under Keegan instead of Ginola...would have been an all time legend for us at least

Ben arfa for me is to player you want to be when your a kid.

Its almost as if he hasnt had his natural ability trained out of him.

Definitely, although I wanted to be Shay Given. I even got my hair cut with a receding hairline to look like his and started buying Sondico gloves and Adidas Preds.

Its weird though that being supremely gifted at something doesnt automatically translate into being world class.

On a slightly related note, when i was at high school, we had a player who was so good he used to tackle his own teammates as he would frustrated at how crap the rest of us were. We werent, its just he was operating on a level way beyond the rest of us.

Everyone, and i mean EVERYONE thought he would go on to be a pro in the higher levels of the game but of course he didnt.

Still one of the most entertaining players playing the game. Saint-Maximin is brilliant but he's not quite on Hatem's level for me. Anyone who claims to enjoy or love football has to simply admire him.

This. I was always a bit mystified with a section of the fan base, mostly online mind, that seemed to want to do down his ability. Just enjoy what you’re watching, he’s a one in a million type of footballer.

Its weird though that being supremely gifted at something doesnt automatically translate into being world class.

On a slightly related note, when i was at high school, we had a player who was so good he used to tackle his own teammates as he would frustrated at how crap the rest of us were. We werent, its just he was operating on a level way beyond the rest of us.

Everyone, and i mean EVERYONE thought he would go on to be a pro in the higher levels of the game but of course he didnt.

Did he love tabs? Few lads at my school, two in particular were operating at a level way beyond their age, but they couldn't resist a Lambert & Butler and a shot on the bucket set hidden behind the oak tree at the bottom of the school grounds  :lol:

Just shows that talent alone isn't enough. I knew a guy in school who could do things that would make a football crowd orgasm but never got anywhere as he simply couldn't be arsed to go to multiple academies he was invited too, and just wanted to get stoned and drink all the time.  Think everyone probably knows someone like that

Did he love tabs? Few lads at my school, two in particular were operating at a level way beyond their age, but they couldn't resist a Lambert & Butler and a shot on the bucket set hidden behind the oak tree at the bottom of the school grounds  :lol:

He met a lass in high school, got a job when he left and settled down.

Never played again

This. I was always a bit mystified with a section of the fan base, mostly online mind, that seemed to want to do down his ability. Just enjoy what you’re watching, he’s a one in a million type of footballer.

It's happening (albeit online) with ASM lately too. After that Brighton game he was criticised insanely harshly given what he's done for us. It's almost as if certain people lurk in the shadows awaiting an excuse to complain.