Ayozé Pérez (now playing for Real Betis)

ponsaelius

I think for Perez to have a future with us, Striker is the only position for him. He's done really well in the 10 role, but it is so pivotal to the way Rafa plays we badly need an upgrade next season. Perez is a great finisher and he needs to focus on that. Like I said in the match thread, if someone comes in with 15 million for him, I would be snatching their hands off, anything less than that and I'm hanging on to him as a back up/rotational striker. We are going to have to really sort out the forwards situation in the summer, Gayle's clearly not the answer, Rafa hates Mitro, Joselu is barely a footballer, Toney is out of the door by all accounts and Armstrong may probably never reach his potential. We need at least two strikers in the summer.

If he worked on his strength a bit he'd be a cracking striker, he's an instinctive finisher when he gets into positions. I Remember when Pardew said he wasn't a natural goalscorer, all the proof you need that he is.

I think Rafa will be wary of playing him upfront because he will probably naturally drop deep to collect the ball and not offer that option of the ball in behind from Shelvey so much. Having said that has some of that instinct as seen with goal. Also if he drops deep he will pull defenders out of shape which Kennedy could benefit on. Kinda theoretical now mind since most the team can't be arsed now. Anyway love the finish, if he can keep this form up through a season no reason he can't be huge for us, I fear he won't though.

The problem with playing him up front is that he lacks both physical presence and speed. A very tidy finisher otherwise, might be worth giving him a shot over Gayle.

I'm largely in the same boat as the frustrated people when it comes to Ayoze. But I think alot of us get lost in a world of #10s that contain David Silva, Mata, etc. They are small ,agile and have sublime abilities to play perfectly weighted passes. We desperately want that kind of clever player in our team and believe Ayoze could or should be the tinpot version of these players.

Unfortunately though, Ayozes not got the brain nor the finesse to play such key passes. But he does have tremendous work rate, a deft touch, and abnormally decent first time finishing for an attacking midfielder. He's not the long term solution, but without him we are simply dire and that is backed up by numerous stats for when he doesn't start.

Factor in that hes been directly involved in 10 of our 36 PL goals, maybe he's better than many give him credit for.

I do like him a lot....maybe even more if he wasn´t first choice every week. Good squad player to have, i just hope we will sign someone better and keep Ayose as back up for both striker and no 10 position.

Extremely beautiful finish against Watford.  :love:

I'm largely in the same boat as the frustrated people when it comes to Ayoze. But I think alot of us get lost in a world of #10s that contain David Silva, Mata, etc. They are small ,agile and have sublime abilities to play perfectly weighted passes. We desperately want that kind of clever player in our team and believe Ayoze could or should be the tinpot version of these players.

Unfortunately though, Ayozes not got the brain nor the finesse to play such key passes. But he does have tremendous work rate, a deft touch, and abnormally decent first time finishing for an attacking midfielder. He's not the long term solution, but without him we are simply dire and that is backed up by numerous stats for when he doesn't start.

Factor in that hes been directly involved in 10 of our 36 PL goals, maybe he's better than many give him credit for.

Good post :thup:

I think Rafa will be wary of playing him upfront because he will probably naturally drop deep to collect the ball and not offer that option of the ball in behind from Shelvey so much. Having said that has some of that instinct as seen with goal. Also if he drops deep he will pull defenders out of shape which Kennedy could benefit on. Kinda theoretical now mind since most the team can't be arsed now. Anyway love the finish, if he can keep this form up through a season no reason he can't be huge for us, I fear he won't though.

I think he doesn't really want to drop deep tbh, his movement for his goals is that of a natural striker.  The problem lies in the fact we need a ten to play behind him, and he's not a old up player. It's a shame as personally I think he's the best finisher we have. He's scored some lush goals for us looking back at it.

If we signed a physical 10 (Say that King fella from Bournemouth; who I am not advocating) it may make sense for Ayoze to then basically play as the top attack, maybe? But regardless not happening here.

I've wanted Perez moved on for a while - weak, terrible balance at times, average pace/acceleration at best, and seems to be a "head down" player who doesn't create anything for teammates. The worst thing I've always disliked about him aside from the slipping is the constant attempts at dribbling through his man as though he's up against 8 year old school kids and he can just nutmeg them diagonally, something he's not skillful or quick enough to do and which results results in him losing possession cheaply almost 100% of the time. Truth be told I think he always tries to take his man on because it's "easier" for him to try (and fail) at dribbling then to try to hold the ball up and use a combination of basic skills he doesn't have of touch + spacial awareness + strength  to hold up play effectively. It's easier for him to mindlessly knock it forward and chase the ball.

Nevertheless, in the second half of the season he's really grown into the role, to the extent that noone else in the team provides the movement he does, with the finishing he's shown recently to be the icing on the cake. Even the attempted dribbles that consistently fail are now tempered ever so slightly with the odd successful shimmy/feint and useful baited foul. So whilst I'd be much happier with a newly signed number 10 who does more for the team on the ball, at this point in time if Ashley releases limited funds again then prioritising a new number 9 and having Perez as the number 10 for another season isn't the worst thing in the world.

I've noticed that, for large spells in recent games we've pretty much played with a front 2, Perez often going beyond Gayle or beside him. It's probably an effort by Rafa to get them linking up more often than not when we spring on the counter. Perez's movement off the ball is absolutely fantastic imo and creates many chances, largely because he's playing so close to the striker - pulling defenders and midfielders around leaving space to exploit.

I've noticed that, for large spells in recent games we've pretty much played with a front 2, Perez often going beyond Gayle or beside him. It's probably an effort by Rafa to get them linking up more often than not when we spring on the counter. Perez's movement off the ball is absolutely fantastic imo and creates many chances, largely because he's playing so close to the striker - pulling defenders and midfielders around leaving space to exploit.

Been like this off and on all season.

Is it just me who thinks he's playing a bit further forward lately? More of a second striker than a true #10 - we frequently attack and press in a way that looks distinctly two-up-top

Shelvey's passes are the true #10.