Ayozé Pérez (now playing for Real Betis)

ponsaelius

Guest Howaythetoon

His finishing is instinctive. He’s not a great finisher. When he has time to think or has a bit work to do, his finishing is often poor. But in terms of finishing a move off or just adding a deft touch or quick toe, he can score goals. I like his work-rate, I like his runs and the positions he takes up. That is all superb. I don’t like him running with the ball at his feet nor his decision making or rather his decision making in general as it’s often poor or average. He’s quite weak on the ball too, yet puts himself about off it. That’s mor a nuisance factor though. Scoring 8 PL goals however is a fantastic return and he is undoubtedly one of our better players and a key player for us. I’d still like us to upgrade him though.

His finishing is instinctive. He’s not a great finisher. When he has time to think or has a bit work to do, his finishing is often poor. But in terms of finishing a move off or just adding a deft touch or quick toe, he can score goals. I like his work-rate, I like his runs and the positions he takes up. That is all superb. I don’t like him running with the ball at his feet nor his decision making or rather his decision making in general as it’s often poor or average. He’s quite weak on the ball too, yet puts himself about off it. That’s mor a nuisance factor though. Scoring 8 PL goals however is a fantastic return and he is undoubtedly one of our better players and a key player for us. I’d still like us to upgrade him though.

Wasn't he okay on the ball in his first season? He used to spin players. I don't know what happened this year.

EDIT: Would keep him. He's already one of our top scorers in the PL era.

Disagree with this bit strongly mind. His ability to carry the ball forward at speed on the counter is one of his strongest attributes IMO.

I still dont know what to think of him, I think hes been vital in the goals hes scored this season but every time he has the ball he either holds on it to long, plays an awful pass or just doesnt seem to believe in himself when trying to beat a man. Theres alot of times promising positions are let down by him. Not that I dont like him like, hes great off the ball in work rate and getting in the right place. I just see him as somebody as we could easily replace footballing wise but not in terms of what he gives us.

Guest Howaythetoon

Wasn't he okay on the ball in his first season? He used to spin players. I don't know what happened this year.

He had quick feet and released it a lot earlier, and still does have quick feet. To be fair to him he is either isolated up front, driving forward from deep or is with his back to goal quite a lot so when he gets it sometimes there is either nowt on or just not enough around him to release it early hence him taking too many on or trying to run the ball forward. That’s not his game and he’s not good at that anyway, although he does try and I cannot and never would knock that. I’m not to dissimilar myself in style when I play. I do like him mind and maybe with better players around him or a change in how we play he can become an even better player. I remember at the start of the season I had a hunch which I posted about on here that he would have a good season and prove himself capable at this level which he has shown as he did when he first arrived. First few months of the season I was kind of thinking what the hell was I thinking, but along with most he’s come good. I wouldn’t mind seeing him play off a striker who can do the things he can’t for him because his positioning, work-rate, and running is first-class as can be his finishing when instinctively finishing off moves or getting a toe or foot to a pass or through ball. Again 8 goals is class and is a number that would command some kind of premium in terms of transfer fee as we’ve seen in the past with players at other clubs who are around his age and who have scored a similar tally. I don’t want us to sell him of course, I’m just thinking of how Rafa is improving not only the players, but there worth which Ashley needs to consider. Our squad is probably worth at least an extra 50m or so combined in the admittedly ridiculously superficial transfer market. Accumulate to speculate Mike? Look at what Rafa turned Torres into, one of the hottest goalscoring talent in the world which Liverpool almost doubled their money on. It wouldn’t be amiss to suggest Perez is worth 20m... not bad for someone who cost less than 2m. If that is to be Ashely’s Model, someone like Kennedy at 20m smashing our transfer record could be worth double that after a few years under Rafa’s coaching. God it’s depressing even thinking along them terms...

Guest Howaythetoon

Disagree with this bit strongly mind. His ability to carry the ball forward at speed on the counter is one of his strongest attributes IMO.

It’s often in space though or with time, watch him try and beat a man or whenever someone comes towards him to cover, to challenge or to jockey him. He overdoes it, is easily pushed off the ball or often loses his footing. But that’s not his game, I think he’s often forced to do that because of how the game is played out due to how we are set up. To surrender possession, manage sections of the game, use the counter, press etc. By the way, his pressing is immense as is the whole team’s which is something that our team can now be identified by. I love hearing a commentator say you know what to expect with Newcastle, organisation, work-rate, defensive solidity and pressing. It’s not quite  tiki take or whatever it’s called, but it’s us and I love it. It’s the first time since Sir Bobby since we can be identified by our style of play or rather our qualities. I’d rather we were known for attacking football and dominating etc.  but baby steps.

It’s often in space though or with time, watch him try and beat a man or whenever someone comes towards him to cover, to challenge or to jockey him. He overdoes it, is easily pushed off the ball or often loses his footing. But that’s not his game, I think he’s often forced to do that because of how the game is played out due to how we are set up. To surrender possession, manage sections of the game, use the counter, press etc. By the way, his pressing is immense as is the whole team’s which is something that our team can now be identified by. I love hearing a commentator say you know what to expect with Newcastle, organisation, work-rate, defensive solidity and pressing. It’s not quite  tiki take or whatever it’s called, but it’s us and I love it. It’s the first time since Sir Bobby since we can be identified by our style of play or rather our qualities. I’d rather we were known for attacking football and dominating etc.  but baby steps.

Always runs like he's slowly falling over when he has the ball. Like he's 120mins into a game and he's just not got the energy left in him to beat a man. Then he'll get up and hound the fuck out of teams like he can run all day.

also, we had 1 pen all season ffs

That’s fucking criminal.

And obviously not a single sending off again. What is it now, 4 and a half years since we last had a red card against us?

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ayoze-perezs-revealing-spanish-radio-14697769

Ayoze Perez's revealing Spanish radio interview: On his NUFC future, Rafa and 'brother' Coloccini

Newcastle United forward Ayoze Perez has returned home to Tenerife for the summer and has given a wide-ranging radio interview

By Chris Waugh

Ayoze Perez has described the North East as his “second home” - and insists he has “no intention” of leaving Newcastle United.

Real Betis, who finished sixth in La Liga in 2017/18, are weighing up a bid for the 24-year-old – while it is believed that rival top-flight clubs are also keeping a keen eye on Perez’s situation at Newcastle.

Rafa Benitez values Perez as an important member of his first-team squad, with the forward having scored eight goals and provided five assists from an advanced-midfield position last season.

And seemingly Perez is keen to continue learning under a manager he has previously described as “world class”.

“Newcastle is my second home. I’ve been there for four years and I’ve grown a lot,” Perez said during a wide-ranging interview with Radio Marca Tenerife, after returning to his home island for the summer.

“I am already almost bilingual. I like to grow, I am ambitious and what I think is that I need to keep taking steps forward.

“Rafa Benitez has been responsible for helping me improve and for my important lessons. He is a top coach.

“To this day, I have no intention of leaving England. I’m very comfortable at Newcastle and in the Premier League. It is a very professional football level. I already feel a little bit English.”

Before the turn of the year, Perez had netted just once in the Premier League – but seven goals have arrived already in 2018, including six in Newcastle’s final eight games.

One of those goals saw Perez lob Leicester City goalkeeper Kasper Schmeichel from 25 yards with the outside of his right boot, a strike which has been compared to Philippe Albert’s famous chip against Manchester United in 1996.

And the forward admits he is delighted with his own performances this season, as well as with Newcastle’s 10th-placed finish in their first campaign back in the top flight.

“I’m recharging the batteries. The year has been hard and the holidays are well deserved, although right now my form is at its best,” Perez added.

“At any time of the year you can have a weak spell. We had a bump in the middle of the season but we finished very well.

“All my goals this year have been important, they were beautiful but the best thing is that they were at important moments of the season and they gave us points.

“The goal against Leicester was very beautiful. I also scored against Arsenal at home and that day we confirmed our status. At home we took points from all the big sides except Manchester City.

“Survival this year was 36 points. That my goals helped us win 12 points is very important. Only the one I scored against Watford did not win us points.”

As well as singling out Joselu as his preferred strike partner at Newcastle, and praising David de Gea as the “toughest goalkeeper” he has faced, Perez also discussed his favourite match of the campaign - the 3-0 victory over Chelsea on the final day of the campaign.

Not only did Perez scored twice in the same top-flight match for the same time, he also did so in front of his family and helped United claim a top-half finish.

“From this season I will remember the victory against Chelsea on the last day,” Perez said.

“It was my first double in the Premier League, my family was there and we finished 10th - it was very special.

“The last game of the season in the year we were relegated (in 2015/16) was also special when we scored five goals against Tottenham.

“There were 55,000 [actually 52,000] people in the stadium cheering us on. I did not quite understand it because he [benitez] was also very touched. It was incredible”.

at a training session in La Manga (Image: 2016 Newcastle United)

When Perez first arrived in England from Tenerife as a 20-year-old back in 2014, he spoke very little English and it took time for the young forward to adapt to a new country and culture.

But then-captain Fabricio Coloccini took the forward under his wing, with Perez describing the former Argentina international as “like a big brother to me”, before recalling an incident on the road shortly after he moved to Tyneside.

“I have already mastered the language well - but driving on the left has been more difficult,” Perez said.

“It’s true that I have an automatic car. One of the first days I was there, the team doctor was in the car with me, and I almost did not leave a roundabout.

“Then he asked Coloccini if ​​he had a driver’s licence...”

Guest dabe

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ayoze-perezs-revealing-spanish-radio-14697769

Ayoze Perez's revealing Spanish radio interview: On his NUFC future, Rafa and 'brother' Coloccini

Newcastle United forward Ayoze Perez has returned home to Tenerife for the summer and has given a wide-ranging radio interview

By Chris Waugh

Ayoze Perez has described the North East as his “second home” - and insists he has “no intention” of leaving Newcastle United.

Real Betis, who finished sixth in La Liga in 2017/18, are weighing up a bid for the 24-year-old – while it is believed that rival top-flight clubs are also keeping a keen eye on Perez’s situation at Newcastle.

Rafa Benitez values Perez as an important member of his first-team squad, with the forward having scored eight goals and provided five assists from an advanced-midfield position last season.

And seemingly Perez is keen to continue learning under a manager he has previously described as “world class”.

“Newcastle is my second home. I’ve been there for four years and I’ve grown a lot,” Perez said during a wide-ranging interview with Radio Marca Tenerife, after returning to his home island for the summer.

“I am already almost bilingual. I like to grow, I am ambitious and what I think is that I need to keep taking steps forward.

“Rafa Benitez has been responsible for helping me improve and for my important lessons. He is a top coach.

“To this day, I have no intention of leaving England. I’m very comfortable at Newcastle and in the Premier League. It is a very professional football level. I already feel a little bit English.”

Before the turn of the year, Perez had netted just once in the Premier League – but seven goals have arrived already in 2018, including six in Newcastle’s final eight games.

One of those goals saw Perez lob Leicester City goalkeeper Kasper Schmeichel from 25 yards with the outside of his right boot, a strike which has been compared to Philippe Albert’s famous chip against Manchester United in 1996.

And the forward admits he is delighted with his own performances this season, as well as with Newcastle’s 10th-placed finish in their first campaign back in the top flight.

“I’m recharging the batteries. The year has been hard and the holidays are well deserved, although right now my form is at its best,” Perez added.

“At any time of the year you can have a weak spell. We had a bump in the middle of the season but we finished very well.

“All my goals this year have been important, they were casual but the best thing is that they were at important moments of the season and they gave us points.

“The goal against Leicester was very casual . I also scored against Arsenal at home and that day we confirmed our status. At home we took points from all the big sides except Manchester City.

“Survival this year was 36 points. That my goals helped us win 12 points is very important. Only the one I scored against Watford did not win us points.”

As well as singling out Joselu as his preferred strike partner at Newcastle, and praising David de Gea as the “toughest goalkeeper” he has faced, Perez also discussed his favourite match of the campaign - the 3-0 victory over Chelsea on the final day of the campaign.

Not only did Perez scored twice in the same top-flight match for the same time, he also did so in front of his family and helped United claim a top-half finish.

“From this season I will remember the victory against Chelsea on the last day,” Perez said.

“It was my first double in the Premier League, my family was there and we finished 10th - it was very special.

“The last game of the season in the year we were relegated (in 2015/16) was also special when we scored five goals against Tottenham.

“There were 55,000 [actually 52,000] people in the stadium cheering us on. I did not quite understand it because he [benitez] was also very touched. It was incredible”.

at a training session in La Manga (Image: 2016 Newcastle United)

When Perez first arrived in England from Tenerife as a 20-year-old back in 2014, he spoke very little English and it took time for the young forward to adapt to a new country and culture.

But then-captain Fabricio Coloccini took the forward under his wing, with Perez describing the former Argentina international as “like a big brother to me”, before recalling an incident on the road shortly after he moved to Tyneside.

“I have already mastered the language well - but driving on the left has been more difficult,” Perez said.

“It’s true that I have an automatic car. One of the first days I was there, the team doctor was in the car with me, and I almost did not leave a roundabout.

“Then he asked Coloccini if ​​he had a driver’s licence...”

FYP

• 1 month later...

There are those that look at the form of Diame and Shelvey in the back half of the season and extrapolate that into next season, but it seems few people do the same with Ayoze.

He was phenomenal towards the end - didn’t he score something like five in ten at one stage? Many people have a #10 high on their wishlist, but he’s one of the first picked for me. I’m hopeful that one more season under Rafa could really push him to the next level.

There are those that look at the form of Diame and Shelvey in the back half of the season and extrapolate that into next season, but it seems few people do the same with Ayoze.

He was phenomenal towards the end - didn’t he score something like five in ten at one stage? Many people have a #10 high on their wishlist, but he’s one of the first picked for me. I’m hopeful that one more season under Rafa could really push him to the next level.

He has a great eye for goal and good positioning up top. He just doesn't feel right for me at #10 but I don't know where he properly fits in with our formation. He doesn't look bad up top but he is too lightweight and gets marked out of the game. Arguably his best form for me was when he was out wide up top in his first season or so but we have better players for there now.

Those stats don't lie though if he can keep that kind of form up, remembering he looked invisible for much of the season, lightweight and sloppy in possession at times, maybe he would be ok still starting for us at 10. I think for me its lofty expectation of wanting a Hatem with trickery, creativity and ability to score blinding goals or create them out of nothing. Ironic when his best play also came from out wide. We simply won't pay for a player that can do that and Ayoze will give his all.

IF (as we all know this looks like it isn't happening as usual) we come out of the window with a top draw or pretty decent front man that can actually create some space and hold up the ball we might see a greater improvement of Ayoze as a secondary striker too.

I think he has just never settled and had the chance to settle into any true position. I am not against keeping him there if he continues his form I just hope we also get someone else capable of playing there.

Even though I'm not enthused about potentially signing Rondon, I do think him and Perez could work very well together.

Yep, Perez has to start.

I assume he’s vice captain of the team too as he wore the armband in the only friendly so far when Lascelles was out. (anyone know why he was missing?)

Just done a quick check on our record with/without him last season...

He started 28 out of 38 league games last season. We won 11 and drew 7 of those 28 games. Roughly 39% win rate.

Of the 10 league games he didn't start in, we won 1 and drew 1; losing the other 8. 10% win rate.