Ayozé Pérez (now playing for Real Betis)

ponsaelius

None of our attacking players really did well IMO. I would say Lascelles was probably our best player in that he didn't make any major mistakes I can think of. Shelvey was good defensively but didn't do much going forward. Mitro was his usual self, effective in non threatening areas. Actually thought Sissoko was considerably worse than usual attacking wise but put in a shift defensively. Ayoze not involved enough but some decent flashes

None of our attacking players really did well IMO. I would say Lascelles was probably our best player in that he didn't make any major mistakes I can think of. Shelvey was good defensively but didn't do much going forward. Mitro was his usual self, effective in non threatening areas. Actually thought Sissoko was considerably worse than usual attacking wise but put in a shift defensively. Ayoze not involved enough but some decent flashes

I lost count of the number of times Shelvey went backwards.

Ayoze looked lost on the right and sissoko lost on the left but much better when coming inside.

Cannot believe how much this lad has regressed in the past year, think it is more a confidence issue with him. He looks so anxious at times, but that is representative of the squad as a whole.

Seems to be the only one in our team without a touch like a rapist so he is fine by me.

Yep. You know that 99% of the time when the ball is hoofed / bulleted to him by one of our awful "wingers" or midfielders, he will find a way to control it and look for an option right away.

Awful today ..

:lol:

You can't argue that he wasn't first half. Missed his opportunity to play through the middle

For some reason, Sunderland were absolutely killing us in the middle of the park.

Thought he was poor too, has been for a while.

Picked up in the second half but I'd start with De Jong with Perez as an impact sub next maybe.

2 weeks to work with him and get some confidence back into him. He's a good player but on really poor form just now.

He was poor because he's a player that likes touches and Kirchhoff was all over him - wasn't the right situation for him as a 10 (I think his best position is wide forward, myself) as it was just too congested. It was different with de Jong because his game is about touch and move, so their midfield couldn't really get tight like that. I have a feeling we'll see plenty of chopping and changing from RB until the very end, he obviously picks up on in-game changes very well. Ayoze's probably better as a 10 in away games, at his current level.

I thought him and Townsend were dropping into nice pockets of space first half (i.e. tactics kind of working), but he was consistently being dispossessed unlike Townsend who was taking it on. Much better second half when Sunderland started sitting back.

Needs more time with Rafa methinks.

I thought he was poor today, but that's probably more because I know what he's capable of. That said, he did make a few chances out of nothing, even if they rolled towards the keeper.

Awful today ..

:lol:

You can't argue that he wasn't first half. Missed his opportunity to play through the middle

For some reason, Sunderland were absolutely killing us in the middle of the park.

They competed more and played as a unit...we were all over the place and didn't want the physical contest...a fit and motivated Tiote would have made a huge difference..