Ayozé Pérez (now playing for Real Betis)

ponsaelius

reminds me a bit of Riquelme/Aimar

Just to mean, bags of talent and potential. Potential that people will talk about right up until 27/28 years old, and then wondered what happened to them a few years later to find out they've been tearing up some backwater league for fun having left the 'big' clubs wondering 'what the hell did we buy him for'...

Appreciate not quite the same as the other two, but I'm sure everyone can think of a player touted for the top, but actually only ended up being 'decent' before sliding into relative obscurity.

I've always maintained the coaching setup and the implementation of a "that'll do" philosophy has destroyed our players. I do however believe that the players need to shoulder some of the blame, now they have a chance to redeem themselves under a world class tutor it's in their hands now.

reminds me a bit of Riquelme/Aimar

Just to mean, bags of talent and potential. Potential that people will talk about right up until 27/28 years old, and then wondered what happened to them a few years later to find out they've been tearing up some backwater league for fun having left the 'big' clubs wondering 'what the hell did we buy him for'...

Appreciate not quite the same as the other two, but I'm sure everyone can think of a player touted for the top, but actually only ended up being 'decent' before sliding into relative obscurity.

Is doing it in La Liga and nearly getting to a Champions League Final backwater? :lol:

Aye don't get that one all.

On top of that both of them were miles more talented than he is.

Agree, they were just examples although probably not the best. Both were at various points suggested for becoming one of the worlds best (not that Ayoze will be), but for whatever reason never quite hit the heights that many suggested. I'm sure a lot of people were expecting Riquelme to become one of Argentinas greatest ever, rather than just a very good player albeit at  a better level than at Newcastle could ever expect.

Thinking out loud, Hugo Viana could be a decent comparison...great things expected, and did the odd bit of good here and there but never really worked out as a great player but could have been better if used/developed properly. I know there were other factors involved with that one, but I think the general point stands.

Every club has a decent young player that could become a great but for some reason doesn't, whether it be jumping to a bigger club too soon or getting ideas above themselves or simply not being as good as everyone thought after a decent season.

In fact I think N'Zogbia would be a decent call. Attitude aside, most on here could see he had some talent and could have easily become brilliant with the right guidance/desperation to leave

Riquelme was more than a very good player like :lol: argentina would've won the world cup in 2006 if he hadn't been subbed against germany despite carrying them the entire competition. He was better in that world cup than Messi ever has been for Argentina tbh

Guest Howaythetoon

Riquelme was more than a very good player like :lol: argentina would've won the world cup in 2006 if he hadn't been subbed against germany despite carrying them the entire competition. He was better in that world cup than Messi ever has been for Argentina tbh

He was immense in that tournament and a lovely player to watch.

Not disagreeing at all just stating that he could have been so much more at club level.  Riquelme aside point I'm trying to make is that every club has young players who great things are expected of who end up having decent careers but not at the level expected.

For every Michael Owen there's a Neil Mellor....for every Shearer there's a Chopra..every Rooney there's a Cadamateri...

All very good young players, all had good careers, only half seen as great

Guest Howaythetoon

Not disagreeing at all just stating that he could have been so much more at club level.  Riquelme aside point I'm trying to make is that every club has young players who great things are expected of who end up having decent careers but not at the level expected.

For every Michael Owen there's a Neil Mellor....for every Shearer there's a Chopra..every Rooney there's a Cadamateri...

All very good young players, all had good careers, only half seen as great

I get where you are coming from, given his immense talent, he could have been a world great.

Other than rep, what's the difference between someone like Owen and Defoe? Never seen a more over hyped player than that little prick like, he was a really good Premiership forward, nothing more.

Other than the obvious one was finished by his late 20's and the other is still banging then in well into his 30's. Don't even think Owen was a really good Premier League forward. Did he even manage a 20 goal season?

Owen was fantastic like, we shouldn't let our hatred cloud our judgement.

He was never going to be a great, once it was clear he had glass legs and a black heart.

Owen was class man, the 'never scored 20 in a season' argument is s*** too. Why should that make him not great? He averaged just under 1 in 2 up until he left us over a 10 year span.

Imo the word "great" is thrown about too easily. When I think of "great" players who have graced the PL Michael Owens name doesn't exactly spring to mind. Also for a player who really only had pace and goals to his game unlike Henry or Shearer for example for him never to have managed 20 in any given season is a bit poor.

He scored 18 in 36, 18 in 30, 16 in 28, 19 in 29, 19 in 35 & 16 in 29. Are we saying because he fell short of 20 (why that should be a magic number anyway like) by the odd goal mainly due to injury, that should take anything away from him?

He scored 18 in 36, 18 in 30, 16 in 28, 19 in 29, 19 in 35 & 16 in 29. Are we saying because he fell short of 20 (why that should be a magic number anyway like) by the odd goal mainly due to injury, that should take anything away from him?

20 goals is traditionally a target that the top strikers like to get and he never managed it. The likes of Lane and Vardy who don't have anywhere near the amount of PL seasons under their belts as he has have already done that. Just think that for a player who offered goals but not that much else it's a pretty poor return, injuries or not.

Not a "great" in my opinion.

People are letting their opinion of the man cloud their judgement when it comes to his ability in his younger days. It didn't last very long but he was exceptional for a period of time. A level above what Defoe could ever reach.

:thup: He was a quality, quality player and looked every inch that when he joined us in 05. It soon dissipated but Keegan manufactured a new role for him which he also looked excellent in, in 08. Then we know the rest.

Owen was a fantastic striker in his prime tbf.  Better than 1 in 2 the majority of his career.  Defoe was a 1 in 3 man for most of his career. 

Even had a good record for us and Real. 

I hate him passionately however.

Also hate how few of our ex-players defend the Cubs fans in their media roles. Shearer is the only one.  Owen, Bellamy and Jenas you would never know had some of the best years of their careers at the club. 

He was a very good PL goalscorer. Nothing more. Great players have far more to their game than he did.

He doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath and Shearer and Rooney, that's for sure.