Ayozé Pérez (now playing for Real Betis)

ponsaelius

He was a very good PL goalscorer. Nothing more. Great players have far more to their game than he did.

He doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath and Shearer and Rooney, that's for sure.

Les Ferdinand was a very good PL goalscorer. Owen did it in Europe and International level.

In his prime you could mention him in the same breathe those 2 imo. Similar goalscoring ratios although the other 2 better overall.

Guest Howaythetoon

People are letting their opinion of the man cloud their judgement when it comes to his ability in his younger days. It didn't last very long but he was exceptional for a period of time. A level above what Defoe could ever reach.

This. Owen when he first burst onto the scene was frightening. That goal against Argentina, the hat-trick at SJP... He also had the cold and tough mentality of Shearer. No nerves and big game mental strength. Unlike Shearer though he had no heart and couldn't change his game after injuries. For a period MO was genuinely world-class. Defoe is someone who will always score goals, but as a footballer he is rather limited and the kind of player that plays within himself.

Guest Howaythetoon

Perez by the way has been the biggest disappointment of the season for me. He's clearly talented, but he's lacking something at this level I feel. Perhaps a tough mentality, work ethic and adaptation. He's young though so he has time on his hands.

He has stuttered being in and out of the team. I think he has had a bit of an identity crisis position and role wise. Isn't a lone striker, isn't a winger but looks most dangerous cutting in from the flanks. Looked good through the Centre the first season.I think among other things the systems we tried and failed to use just didnt suit him.

he'll have plenty of offers from top half premiership teams

Really? Can see him getting a move to a decent club but I don't think the cue will be long.

They'll certainly want to pocket him

Hell be outstanding in the Championshit. Everyone has this opinion that that you have to be 9'8" and built like a brick shithouse to do well in that division but you dont. Thats just because alot of the time its the likes or Warnock who manage in this Division.

He's not the quickest and he's obviously not the biggest, but he's very good technically. What is his best position? He's been average everywhere this season though that's not entirely his fault.