Ayozé Pérez (now playing for Real Betis)

ponsaelius

What's playing properly? All the top sides in the division play with strikers that can hold it up properly. Perez can't. Unless he gets stronger he'll have to play deeper.

A chest height, even a lump forward is something all teams have to do. I know it's not glamorous but it's an invaluable role to have in a team.

Man U, Arsenal, Chelsea & City all have players capable of doing the above. I've also been very impressed with Kane's ability to hold off defenders and lay it to team mates. Perez doesn't do that.

Perez has been plucked from Tenerife, where he's been allowed to develop as an effective AM, and been thrown into a different league and culture as an orthodox #9 with the responsibility to compete for long hoofs with 2 big CH's with virtually no support for 30 yards.

I'll cut him a bit of slack tbh.

What's playing properly? All the top sides in the division play with strikers that can hold it up properly. Perez can't. Unless he gets stronger he'll have to play deeper.

A chest height, even a lump forward is something all teams have to do. I know it's not glamorous but it's an invaluable role to have in a team.

Man U, Arsenal, Chelsea & City all have players capable of doing the above. I've also been very impressed with Kane's ability to hold off defenders and lay it to team mates. Perez doesn't do that.

Aguero isn't much kop at winning headers against the like of Shawcross. He also doesn't do very well to chest high balls pinged to him with a CB righ up his jacksy and not a team mate within 20 yards.

Aguero isn't much kop at winning headers against the like of Shawcross. He also doesn't do very well to chest high balls pinged to him with a CB righ up his jacksy and not a team mate within 20 yards.

...which is why the high balls are pinged up to Dzeko/Bony instead.

Perez has been plucked from Tenerife, where he's been allowed to develop as an effective AM, and been thrown into a different league and culture as an orthodox #9 with the responsibility to compete for long hoofs with 2 big CH's with virtually no support for 30 yards.

I'll cut him a bit of slack tbh.

Nobody is blaming him. He's just not suited to the role he's been asked to play.

Aguero fends off defenders magnificently. Brilliant at trapping balls with his chest and warding off defenders. And like Parsley mentions, he's usually partnered with someone who is bigger and stronger.

From what I've seen most teams who 'have to lump it forward' lose it 95% of the time they do it anyway. Even the ones with big strikers.

It's not all lumps forward. Often teams get the ball forward quickly. Chest height, sometimes in the air. Lone strikers are there to make it stick. Look at both of S'hampton's goals against us. Both come from passes either into Pelle's chest or head. None are big lumps as such but they are long-balls.

There has been only one team in recent history which did not have to go more direct every now and then. Pep Guardiolas Barca. Other teams need to try different stuff, even tho they would prefer playing into feet. Clubs like Newcastle cant afford to have just plan A.

There has been only one team in recent history which did not have to go more direct every now and then. Pep Guardiolas Barca. Other teams need to try different stuff, even tho they would prefer playing into feet. Clubs like Newcastle cant afford to have just plan A.

Let's start with a plan A though.

Let's start with a plan A though.

Would be nice  :D

Useless with his back to goal and can rarely bring others into play?, I've heard it all now like..

When the ball is played into his feet with his back to goal he's very good at keeping it either with a sharp turn or intelligently passing it off, assuming there's anyone near him.  Obviously when there's no other Newcastle player within 40 yards he's not going to be able to bring people into play and its going to be difficult to beat the entire opposition defence by himself.  But his initial control and ability to turn away means he certainly could keep the ball reliably and bring people into play with some support.  The reason the ball doesn't stick for us is purely down to lack of support from midfield and not Ayoze.

Oh joy, he's got a new pet project.

I rate Ayoze highly. But he's not a traditional #9. Pretty much every time the ball comes to him with his back to goal, he'll lose it. I've said he could go on to develop that Aguero-like core strength but he's not there yet at all. And even City often play a lad better at that alongside him.

IMO he's a #10 or a second striker. He needs to get on the ball on the half turn or run onto it. He won't get that playing as a #9.

Yes he should be playing deeper, but not because he has any problem keeping possession with his back to goal given support.  Because he's class on the ball and bringing him deeper would allow us to get him on the ball more.

There's this natural quality to him that's so refreshing to see - the way he turns with the ball, the way he dummies defenders, the way he (and other class players around the world) let the ball do the work for them and they change their body position/weight/drop a shoulder and feign and let that create separation from the defender, etc.

Also he's more than fine with his back to goal in certain situations; he's not going to be holding off the likes of Kompany ffs but you've got to play the ball to him and give him an opportunity to do something with it.

Imo Agüero handles long balls very well. He just uses his tecnique, movement and first touch so well, to get by defenders or create chances for others.