Siem de Jong (still alive)

Guest ManDoon

Guest reefatoon

Going off what I've seen from him since signing for us, I honestly think although he was a cracking player he's finished as a footballer

26 :lol:

He's never only 26 is he? Looks as old as Mbemba!

:lol: Yep, he looks as old and moves just like Geremi when he was here.

I don't think he's totally unsuited to our system, he could play where Perez plays. Unfortunately for him Perez is playing extremely well.

Perez has more to his game. What we could really do with is a proper AM which is what I thought De Jong was. Seems like most regard him as a poacher good at making late runs similar to Nolan without appetite for tackling.

Our Proper AM is Wijnaldum. Who should be central with a destroyer if we are going to go with this system - someone with the legs to be able to cover the width of the pitch relatively well and be able to contribute in attack. A position we shouldn't be buying cheap, one that probably needs the amount we paid for Thauvin, a 23-26 year old DCM/CM with strength, pace, and technical ability. We also then need to fix our left side to make this all work and that's signing a legit LW and LB.

Sounds about right, although I would say for a CM/DM role, it's so important that it's not necessary to stick to an age ceiling of 26 yr old. Gareth Barry must be getting on, but he's still better than anything we've got in that part of the pitch. There's so much money in the game at the moment that it's daft to look at sell on potential in every single position, especially CM and CB.

Aye you're right, the age bracket was my ideal scenario - but yes, any good and reliable DM from 19-32 would do for us. But obviously our powers at be have an issue with signing anyone older than 27-28.

I wouldn't want us to sign anyone under 23 in that position unless an exceptional talent. It's a position for men that know an understand the game and role. If they're going to be under 23 i'd like someone that would probably see themselves as CB so has a defensive focus and discipline like a Dier

I don't think he's totally unsuited to our system, he could play where Perez plays. Unfortunately for him Perez is playing extremely well.

Perez has more to his game. What we could really do with is a proper AM which is what I thought De Jong was. Seems like most regard him as a poacher good at making late runs similar to Nolan without appetite for tackling.

Our Proper AM is Wijnaldum. Who should be central with a destroyer if we are going to go with this system - someone with the legs to be able to cover the width of the pitch relatively well and be able to contribute in attack. A position we shouldn't be buying cheap, one that probably needs the amount we paid for Thauvin, a 23-26 year old DCM/CM with strength, pace, and technical ability. We also then need to fix our left side to make this all work and that's signing a legit LW and LB.

Sounds about right, although I would say for a CM/DM role, it's so important that it's not necessary to stick to an age ceiling of 26 yr old. Gareth Barry must be getting on, but he's still better than anything we've got in that part of the pitch. There's so much money in the game at the moment that it's daft to look at sell on potential in every single position, especially CM and CB.

Aye you're right, the age bracket was my ideal scenario - but yes, any good and reliable DM from 19-32 would do for us. But obviously our powers at be have an issue with signing anyone older than 27-28.

I wouldn't want us to sign anyone under 23 in that position unless an exceptional talent. It's a position for men that know an understand the game and role. If they're going to be under 23 i'd like someone that would probably see themselves as CB so has a defensive focus and discipline like a Dier

Based on that, lets give Ivanovic an escape route on silly money and tell him to play in the middle and just fuck everyone up who dare go near him. I'd pay to see that.

We're the experts at writing people off like, getting really good at it now.

Does anyone seriously think De Jong has the physical attributes to succeed now, if he ever did?

Sad but unless we can form an effective unit with 10 players so he can float about behind Mitrovic then it's never going to work.

Guest reefatoon

Does anyone seriously think De Jong has the physical attributes to succeed now, if he ever did?

Sad but unless we can form an effective unit with 10 players so he can float about behind Mitrovic then it's never going to work.

Exactly right. You don't  have  to  be  an expert to see this. You form an opinion  on  what you see in front of you. Much better than crossing your fingers and thinking it's  all fine and dandy.

Agree he doesn't look good but at the same time he's had about an hour of football after a year out with a terrible medical problem, think there's certainly room to hope that this isn't as good as he gets.

Anyone remember how turboshit Demba Ba was in his first few games for us, barely looked like a footballer and look what happened there.

Anyone remember how turboshit Demba Ba was in his first few games for us, barely looked like a footballer and look what happened there.

There's a song in the making here then. "Siem scored ?? since .. he got new lungs? His legs grew back?"

Agree he doesn't look good but at the same time he's had about an hour of football after a year out with a terrible medical problem, think there's certainly room to hope that this isn't as good as he gets.

I don't necessarily think the problem is even entirely with De Jong; if we had a solid spine and 2 really competent banks of 4 that could defend, get bodies forward and support Mitrovic with De Jong behind then he'd have a role to play as I've no doubt he'd score goals.  Sadly we have none of that and look unlikely to for a very long time, therefore we simply can't carry him as we'd be effectively playing with 10 men in every game.  8 if you count Anita and Colback as a partnership in midfield :lol:

No I don't. If he did have the physical attributes he should be able to play as a box to box midfielder in place of either Anita or Tiote. I'm sure he's a good player, but in English football a midfielder has to get his foot in, you can't get away with floating around the penalty area as a number 10 unless you are a striker.

Right click, learn new position. CM.

I don't know how or if he'll get on, but if he doesn't cut it by January - I'll have no issues with him going back to Holland - Luuk has gone on to be captain of his club and played brilliantly for PSV. Was hoping Siem would have ended up as our club captain - loved him at Ajax and always considered him a big game player and appeared to be an awesome leader.

His Villa performance his first season showed real skill and he was super quick decision making, 1 touch football and move.

Anyway, I don't blame good players wanting to play or wanting to leave, he's got a career and himself to look after.