Official: Daryl Janmaat joins Watford for £7m

bowlingcrofty

Spoke with him this morning. Training far more focused on tactics and positional awareness under Rafa (compared to McIsland). Overwhelmed by crowd reaction on Sunday.

I asked him if he'd be gone next season, he looked surprised and said 'No', he wanted to stay. (For what its worth).

How and why did you speak to him?

If he stays I could see him improving under Rafa.

He has a lot of ability but his defending is largely awful, mostly due to his poor positioning.

That's something Rafa should be able to help him with a lot.

Guest reefatoon

He has a lot of ability but his defending is largely awful, mostly due to his poor positioning.

You would also like to think we won't need to defend half as much next season, which would benefit his game.

You would also like to think we won't need to defend half as much next season, which would benefit his game.

Would certainly give Rafa more time to coach him up for life in the Premiership again.

Is a lot of his being caught out of position due to the lack of attacking threat down the left? Sign a left back who can do offer similar on the other side and he might still be able to do well here.

No. He's often there in a physical capacity but fails to sense or react to danger. He's absolutely woeful defensively and it's his own fault.

Sounds like excuses.

Is a lot of his being caught out of position due to the lack of attacking threat down the left? Sign a left back who can do offer similar on the other side and he might still be able to do well here.

No. He's often there in a physical capacity but fails to sense or react to danger. He's absolutely woeful defensively and it's his own fault.

Sounds like excuses.

Agree.

Still wanna see this bloke play RM/RF.

Too unreliable as a RB but has bags of stamina and can get good crosses in the box. A solid RB playing behind him would vastly improve him as a player imo.

Sounds like excuses.

I don't agree, it's because of Dummett. Bye.

This is blind optimism based on very little IMO, not to mention it would make us weaker defensively without doing much going forward anyway. I personally don't rate him and never have so maybe i'm not the most fair when analyzing him but to me he's never shown anything which suggest's he can be even a passable defender because of his very poor positional sense.

Daryl Janmaat believes Rafa Benitez is the man to lead Newcastle back into the Premier League at the first attempt.

The Dutch defender wrapped up the scoring in Sunday's 5-1 win over Tottenham as United ended their campaign on a high note despite the disappointment of relegation.

An impressive 12 points from their final six matches wasn't enough to keep the Magpies in the top flight, but highlighted their dramatic improvement under Benitez.

The former Real Madrid boss is currently weighing up his future, but the supporters chanted his name before, during and after the game and Janmaat is also hoping that the 56-year-old Spaniard will stay at St. James' Park.

"He did a great job," Janmaat told nufcTV. "He's a great manager.

"This is a big Club and it needs a big manager. That's him and I think he has to stay."

For Janmaat - who won the Club's player of the season award in 2014/15 and picked up the North-East Football Writers' player of the year award last November - it was a mixed campaign and he missed most of the relegation run-in through injury.

But he was glad to help the team sign off in style, and hopes the Club's stay in the Championship will be a short one.

The right-back said: "Six games unbeaten and we finished with a 5-1 win against Tottenham - that's a good finish, but it was still a disappointing season because we were relegated and now we have to start again.

"We have to look forward now. The Club's the most important thing at the moment and this Club needs to be in the Premier League as soon as possible.

"(The fans) need success and deserve success - and hopefully in the future we get it.

"We have to go forward now and come back as soon as possible in the Premier League."

http://www.nufc.co.uk/articles/20160518/janmaat-hoping-benitez-will-stay_2281670_5579432

What I'm getting from that is that there are very few players who want to leave. Janmaat is one of those I would have thought would be first out the door, but everyone is basically licking their lips of the prospects of the next few years under Rafa.

We'd defend like Roberto Martinez' Everton. If anything I'd want a right back like Dummett rather than the other way around.

• 1 month later...