Emmanuel Rivière

LRD

Guest thenorthumbrian

It would be extremely harsh to drop Riviere at this point like. We shouldn't sign players at all if we're going to give up on them after two games with no service, one grafting against Man City on his own.

Riviere might benefit from having De Jong in the team playing the number 10 role, he looks like he has suffered from a lack of a support so far. 

A chronic lack of movement has always been a huge issue under Pardews reign. There's a fundamental lack of fluidity about our play, hardly any 'pass and go' nor do we ever seem joined up in our attacking momentum.

We are the very definition of a pedestrian side.

It's a shame with the amount of ability we have in the squad that it goes missing other than the odd individual flash of brilliance here or the rare glimpse of genius there.

Unless we sign someone who is guaranteed goals I fear for us this season.

It's like going back in time.......though, rather than relying on Kevin Nolan to pounce on knockdowns and rebounds, it's now De Jong.

Have we really actually improved as a side since the days of Barton, Nolan, Carroll et al under CH? It doesn't feel like we've moved forward at all. Still, we've made a few quid though, so that'll count for something.

It's like going back in time.......though, rather than relying on Kevin Nolan to pounce on knockdowns and rebounds, it's now De Jong.

And nobody to knock them down.

Hence the reason for sticking that post in this thread. I think that's Riviere's prime job. His role in the '1' is to knock down, hold up and bring in to play.

We already know he's not exactly widely known for goalscoring exploits, so I can only assume he's been brought in to play the target man role for the benefit of De Jong, Cabella etc.

If the ball keeps coming back, bouncing off him or generally ending up in the possession of the opposition then its clear he's not the man for it and I'm not sure how much longer AP perseveres given how toothless we look.

I've said it all pre-season, our survival this season, looks wholly down to De Jongs ability to score goals UNLESS we sign someone proven to score goals. And, even then, if AP is insistent on playing this new system and incorporating the extra midfielder, they've not just got to be proven to score goals but to score them in a system that's basically designed to soak up pressure and counter attack.

IMO he's mainly lost the ball because there's nobody anywhere near him to give it to. His strength is good and his touch looks decent too. He's not a proper target man, but I don't think we necessarily need one.

That's the exact reason I see De Jong as being key. If he doesn't produce or turns out to be injury prone then I genuinely don't see where the goals are coming from.

I think in a 4-5-1, the '1' has to be able to bring others into play and become a target for attacking possession. If he can't manage the ball for a period of time for the defensively minded fucknuggets we've got in midfield to catch up with the play then we've got jack all chance of scoring goals at any frequency imho.

So, whether he is or he isn't a targetman, he's going to be using an awful lot of similar characteristics.

And, at the risk of repeating myself, if AP insists on this system, I'm not sure Remy would make an awful lot of difference in terms of overall team goals.

IMO he's mainly lost the ball because there's nobody anywhere near him to give it to. His strength is good and his touch looks decent too. He's not a proper target man, but I don't think we necessarily need one.

I agree. I'm not sure he's a goal scorer but I think he looks a decent footballer. Not much you can do with the ball when you don't have a team mate within 30 yards.

Agree about the key importance of De Jong anyway, hopefully he'll allow everyone the time to get up in support. If they're allowed.

:thup:

Take him out of the equation and can you honestly see goals in this team?

It seems a ludicrous risk to take given he's had a few injuries last season and isn't fully fit yet.

Ayoze isn't having any problems creating chances for himself and others in the few minutes he's had. He did really well to play De Jong in for his chance last week.

Where is your sig quote from Flasher?

Guest firetotheworks

He doesn't look like anything like does he? Not involved and doesn't score. Early days like, but if I'm trusting my gut then he looks pretty shit.

He doesn't look like anything like does he? Not involved and doesn't score. Early days like, but if I'm trusting my gut then he looks pretty shit.

Had the same thought. I rarely write players off this early but he has nothing about his game.

He doesn't look like anything like does he? Not involved and doesn't score. Early days like, but if I'm trusting my gut then he looks pretty s***.

He's being used as a battering ram to be honest.

It's a shame our players are shit scared to run beyond him into the space he creates to be honest.

That's what surprises me with the lacazette links. Both he and rivière obligation thrive with a partner, usually that parter is a tall strong target man too, which neither rivière, Perez, cisse or lacazette are. Maybe chucky can be that man.

Been fuck all service or space created for rivière to use his strengths. Same as last season with cisse. Pretty much a waste of a player during the game. Might aswell play someone somewhere else!

Had the same thought. I rarely write players off this early but he has nothing about his game.

No better than Shola and 7m more expensive

He's not a top quality player, but to have a go at him seems really unfair. He's being left out to dry up front with barely no one around him and little chance of doing anything decent.