Rolando Aarons

Chapo

Yeah. Who knows.

Either way, I think his contract is significant in regards to how much playing time he's going to get. I think we're intentionally limiting his time, through fear he will peace out and sign with someone who will pay him big money. I'm assuming we'll go in with our standard negotiation of "sign a 20 year contract and we'll not stand in the way if a CL team offers 20m".

Ignoring that, I think he's more than good enough to be staying in our squad. We need a squad, not just XI players. He is on the bench every game, he's very likely to start a significant number of games this season.

Nobody's discussing the merits and value of a season's loan for any given player. We're saying an absolute numpty (Obertan) has been given more time this season than letting Aarons develop as a player. If you want to look at how to blood young players into the fast pace of the top flight, see Wenger, Rodgers, and you'll see what I'm talking about.

But that is not the argument, the argument is not about Obertan.

Fact is, Aarons will not start for us this season - whether it is Obertan, Thauvin, Gareth Bale or the Queen in the team in front of him. McClaren has stated this in numerous interviews.

Therefore the only practical and sensible solution to allow Aarons to develop is to send him out on loan to play football. He is not going to develop playing off the bench in s*** games he needs full matches of competitive football.

As has been said on this forum before, people get far too excited over players far too early. He is 19, he has played 5 competitive fixtures for us. He is not our best player and should not be starting week-in-week-out.

McClaren never said he won't be starting this season. He just said we'd be taking it slow with him. Just because he hasn't seen much time yet doesn't mean he won't be a significant contributor for us this season.

Precisely. We need a squad, I'm perfectly okay with him coming off the bench and then playing well enough to force himself to be selected as a starter. That's how squads work, and I think he deserves that shot. Sending him on loan will just piss him off and we will be one attacker short on the bench, with Gouffran coming on.

Send him on loan when he has a year left of his contract? That'll make him want to re-sign I'm sure.

As opposed to sitting on the bench only playing 20 minutes here and there when we are 3-0 down away at Chelsea... or away at Scunthorpe in the 3rd round of the FA Cup.

You are blindly ignoring the fact that he looks like a very good player and the expectation would be that somewhere in the appearances he gets he does enough to make himself first choice. That's his job as a young player like.

He's our most exciting prospect from the youth system, along with with Armstrong, but unlike Armstrong he's already physically capable of playing at this level. Would Everton or Southampton for example send him out on loan? I doubt it.

Good god, we shouldn't be sending him out on loan, he will get minutes here. He is clearly close to being a starter already, its just a case of blooding him in and protecting him a bit at the same time. We have plenty of games coming up and its just a matter of one or two people getting injured and he gets a run in the team, thats if he doesn't play himself anyway.

I would be more worried if he wasn't making match day squads. Unlike hampering Fergusons development he isn't just being kept here in case everyone gets injured. Aarons will in the least get minutes off the bench ever other game.

• 3 weeks later...

Good news, I like Aarons.

Wow, I am starting to get optimistic about NUFC again and our potential in the near future, although...at the same time I have the occasional stomach turning dread that fatty is going to pull another of his famed clusterfu##. At least it's entertaining again!

• 2 weeks later...