Aston Villa 0 - 0 Newcastle United - 23/08/14 - Post-match reaction from page 36

Mike

"We want to be challenged. We want to be pushed to the maximum. We don't want people happy just to see the team drawing away from home. If you don't get positive results, you're going to get that sort of reaction, but we welcome that, we want to strive for the best, we know we're in the best league in world football, so we welcome that expectation."

Roberto Martinez

To be fair, after tonight's debacle he's not the best person to quote.

That was a thoroughly depressing preview of what is to come if we don't sign a proper striker. Riviere and Perez might be decent young talents but there's no way we should be relying on them, especially if the manager continues to isolate them. Perez looks the better player from what I've seen so far but we need someone else.

Thought we were w***, personally. Four years and still not a semblance of an attacking gameplan.

Point on the board though and the lads probably will take encouragement from it, even if the same issues were showing. Another group of players looking disjointed and unthreatening

Colback was our best player for the second game in a row, incidentally.

This. It was more of the same basically but then I wasn't expecting a great deal. I was pretty bored throughout, at times just ended up chatting to people in my local with half an eye in the game.

Saw none of the game but totally unsurprised by the fact we failed to score. There's an absolutely astonishing lack of goal threat in that side, from the defence to the forwards. Abysmal.

You missed Colback run the game to be honest.

Midfield master class /s

Saw none of the game but totally unsurprised by the fact we failed to score. There's an absolutely astonishing lack of goal threat in that side, from the defence to the forwards. Abysmal.

There is but it's not helped by the lack of bodies pushed forward in attacks. The negativity from the manager just further enhances the problem.

Watched it in the Cock and Lion with other London-based mags.

Sincere apologies to the old bloke I seemingly offended by saying 'for f***s sake we're f***ed if we have to play that c*** any more this season' when Steven Taylor trotted on.

I was bang out of order for my language and even more so for voicing an opinion that showed up someone so f***ing stupid who was trying to whoop and applaud the daft c***. Sorry that you know absolutely f*** all about football and buy into his fist pumping. Congrats on also loudly announcing that Gouffran 'had an excellent game' too, you f***ing crumb.

I thought Colo, Colback, Janmaat and Sissoko did well. Krul had nowt to do. The rest ranged from fine/uninspiringly okay (Dummett, Anita) to utterly fucking dreadful (Gouffran, Cabella).

Absolutely fucking shameful gesture that Ayoze was subbed back off for Taylor at the end. Gouffran and Cabella both deserved a hauling.

Taylor has clearly inherited the Shola knack of managing to get back in the team despite his awful performances, come what may. Willo's red was the worst thing to happen, it means that dick gets in the team again.

Only the three relegated sides conceded more goals last season than Villa did, and only the mackems, Cardiff and Fulham had worse home form.

In fairness, our defending so far this season, whilst only on the basis of two matches, is infinitely better than it was last year. The absence of Baker and Clark has made a huge difference.

Bossed. :lol:

Are you saying we didn't? Just look at the stats: 60% possession, 11 shots with 4 on target (versus 9 with 0 on target). I'd say that we comprehensively outplayed Villa and most of the write ups I have read concurr.  O0

Wum?

Fucking hell, Motson is all over the place, what's wrong with his intonation? All shouty when nothing is happening. Rambling on like he's having some sort of personal breakdown.

Exactly what I was thinking, awful. Can't believe I read someone moaning at Linekar on Twitter that our game is on last, fucking divvy.