Crystal Palace manager

Mick

This.  Have thought many times in the sky era - how would a manager like Clough announce himself now?  Promotion, league title, then back to back european cups?  Or getting someone to 5th three years in a row?

The worst thing about the game these days is that someone like Clough - who I genuinely think is the greatest British manager ever - would not be able to achieve anything like as much.

Aye, even doing what Keegan did with us is pretty much unthinkable these days unless you've got some serious money behind you.

Someone sent me a link the other day, it was a clip on youtube of an entire episode of the local news here in Birmingham from june 1981.

I sat down and spent half an hour watching it, purely out of nostalgia, not even thinking about football.

At the end, it was the sports news, and the main story was "Ron Saunders is understood to have turned down the vacant manager's job at Manchester United. Saunders said he was not intending to leave champions Aston Villa".

All of a sudden, the half hour spent looking at the outdated fashions of the presenters, the awful graphics, the ancient looking presentation was totally trumped by a little snippet like that that made it feel more like 100 years ago.

Had a similar moment like that recently. Read this quote in a book and I'd have given anything to turn the clocks back

http://i.imgur.com/AHNbUZ1.png

We had almost been relegated to the old 3rd Division only a few years before he said that. Now I'm sat here gutted because we've beaten Tottenham, Man City and Liverpool in the space of a week.

Guest RJberger

Two games a season where I want us to win, and thats vs the bin dippers. So job well done today Alan...for the remaining 36 games Im all for "letting our hair down" performances until the lipless burn victim is gone... :whistle:

:lol:

Spudil fishing for bites further afield.

Football in the North East is reflective of our position in the UK as a whole. An afterthought. Newcastle and Sunderland have the 3rd and 4th biggest stadiums in the country, easily fillable every week if we were any good, and yet we both treat mid-table like the Promised Land, gazing longingly at Everton and Spurs. They're even more of a disgrace than we are, with far less ambition than even our fans. f*** all will to succeed in our region, we've nearly always been s*** (and they always have) so we're generally content with continuing the trend.

It's less about attendance figures than matchday income (and beyond that other commercial income/sponsorship).  We are far from 3rd or 4th in matchday income, and that surely means more than bodies through the gates?  That isnt intended to excuse any lack of ambition, but just check out how much spurs take into the tills when they play a home match, and explain our advantage in having a much bigger crowd?

Could easily whack the prices up if the team was any good, they've been frozen for years to keep people clinging on. Only the London clubs have the ability to go much higher but it's not a question of money anyway. Our clubs don't even match the ambition of Swansea or Southampton or fucking Stoke.

Brummie paints a clear but utterly depressing picture of football today and then that Keegan quote is just the final nail for me. I sometimes feel I was born 20 years too late when it comes to football and the experiences it has/had to offer but at least I got to witness the Keegan and Robson eras. God help the bairns of today like. It is absolutely chronic.

Feel a bit sorry for Pardew tbh. He's forced to sell then rebuild an entire team every other season! It's gunna take time for a new team to gel and settle into the Prem. Newcastle haven't done too badly over the last few seasons, when you have a settled team, you're always there or thereabouts

:suicide:

This.  Have thought many times in the sky era - how would a manager like Clough announce himself now?  Promotion, league title, then back to back european cups?  Or getting someone to 5th three years in a row?

The worst thing about the game these days is that someone like Clough - who I genuinely think is the greatest British manager ever - would not be able to achieve anything like as much.

Aye, even doing what Keegan did with us is pretty much unthinkable these days unless you've got some serious money behind you.

Someone sent me a link the other day, it was a clip on youtube of an entire episode of the local news here in Birmingham from june 1981.

I sat down and spent half an hour watching it, purely out of nostalgia, not even thinking about football.

At the end, it was the sports news, and the main story was "Ron Saunders is understood to have turned down the vacant manager's job at Manchester United. Saunders said he was not intending to leave champions Aston Villa".

All of a sudden, the half hour spent looking at the outdated fashions of the presenters, the awful graphics, the ancient looking presentation was totally trumped by a little snippet like that that made it feel more like 100 years ago.

Had a similar moment like that recently. Read this quote in a book and I'd have given anything to turn the clocks back

http://i.imgur.com/AHNbUZ1.png

We had almost been relegated to the old 3rd Division only a few years before he said that. Now I'm sat here gutted because we've beaten Tottenham, Man City and Liverpool in the space of a week.

What book is this?

I still hate the cunt and want him gone. Liverpool were absolute dogshit today, the Leicester game could've gone either way and we were awful against Spurs in the first half. I will give him some credit for the second half turnaround at least but I'm far from fooled into thinking we've turned things around that much. I could of course point out that Spurs had just played in the Europa a few days earlier but we would never used that as an excuse, would we Pards?

I'm so fucking "surprised" that we have got these unexpected wins. It's a never ending nightmare and unfortunately it looks like we're never getting rid of this clueless cunt. It seemed to be hard enough for people go get convinced before, and after these few wins it'll be almost impossible (again). The people behind Sackpardew.com made one hell of an effort and impact, sadly not enough (yet), but they built the platform and started some movement and made at least myself very optimistic. But too many fans must be content with this shit and refuse to see the obvious. They gave us a lifeline but too many opted to not take it.

Yet again i see words like "has the penny finally dropped" and that "at least he's having a go now, "more positive now". Fuck my ass, we're back to square one again!

Can't wait for the first couple of losses and see how Pardew reacts to them. Is there anything to wait for though? It's pretty much written in stone already and people who support the shit that's going on will say: "He turned it around last time when everyone wanted him gone". And even IF (big if) Pardew manages to defy gravity and do well on a consistant basis we will not try to kick on from there anywhere as we're a nothing club under this owner.

I'm not even sure why i'm posting this. So many of you have said this a thousand times before, and put it way better than i did.

I still hate the c*** and want him gone. Liverpool were absolute dogshit today, the Leicester game could've gone either way and we were awful against Spurs in the first half. I will give him some credit for the second half turnaround at least but I'm far from fooled into thinking we've turned things around that much. I could of course point out that Spurs had just played in the Europa a few days earlier but we would never used that as an excuse, would we Pards?

The reality is he's clearly not going anywhere before at least the end of the season unless we slip back into dire trouble and look certainties for relegation. That's probably not going to happen now.

There patently has been a turnaround in confidence. Whether that's down to Pardew, certain players or just luck with a couple of results falling our way... fuck knows, but there is clearly a new-found confidence and solidity in the squad now.

You may as well just enjoy it, while it lasts. If it does last, it may actually be our best chance of getting rid of Pardew.

No surprise that Williamson out of the team and the more positive playing style has coincided with a decent run of form. We all knew what the problem was and yet it took our cowardly manager almost a year to take the shackles off. It's only a matter of time before he starts demanding 'shut up shop' performances again. My guess is after the next defeat.

Credit where it's due i guess but we all know that luck more than good judgement has got us here and with Pardew there's always disappointment just around the corner.

Nice to see us win again but i still can't enjoy it fully.

As cream always rises to the top, so dross always finds its own level even if it is suspended at a higher strata for a while.

Pardew will inevitably be the centre of controversy and questions about his suitability as a PL manager once things start going wrong again - as they will.

His record at other clubs is all you need to look at to know that and he has had a temporary stay of execution because he was obliged to pick several young players either by injury or for the League Cup game - it worked out better than he expected so he lives to fight another few months.

Abeid was probably NUFC's best player yesterday - why hasn't he been in the first team before now ?

That tells you all you need to know about Pardew's judgment of a player.

Classic  - we have a bad run and everyone wants his head, we have a good run and we all love him

Looking at it team by team we've played we are now in EXACTLY the same place as last season - we're not that bad a side but we're also not outstanding

What is interests me is taht I can't believe that W Ham & Saints can continue their runs either - it could be very crowded at the top around New Year

Guest TruToon94

This t*** has the run of several decent matches based on the fact this squad is pretty strong.

Thing is though we should be top six easy with the players we have... Pardew does not have a relegation squad, he has a Europa League squad so what he's doing isn't great at all. Still an absolute p*ss manager who we'll never get rid off. I don't even bother watching the matches now because of the supporters who helped ruin this club annoying the f*** out of me.

11th to 14th with occasional victory over Man City and the like is what fans are happy with and is what Pardew can provide at his best... Little point in football for me anymore until he leaves.

Classic  - we have a bad run and everyone wants his head, we have a good run and we all love him

Dunno if we all love him, but in general I'm sure our support are viewing him more positively than four games ago.  But people say this like it's a character flaw. "You stupid Geordies, managers do badly and you criticize them, they do well and you give them credit for it!  If Padrew won the treble would you still want him out?"

Credit where it's due i guess

people have got to stop saying this, he's done nothing more than his job in the last few weeks

We,ve beaten Man City, Spurs (away) and Liverpool in the last 3 games. Regardless of how shit they all played we still had to beat them.

Yes, he's just doing his job but given how shit he is at it, you should give him credit where it's due and it is due when you beat 3 teams of that quality in a row. Doesn't mean you have to change your overall view of him.

Guest TruToon94

Credit where it's due i guess

people have got to stop saying this, he's done nothing more than his job in the last few weeks

We,ve beaten Man City, Spurs (away) and Liverpool in the last 3 games. Regardless of how s*** they all played we still had to beat them.

Yes, he's just doing his job but given how s*** he is at it, you should give him credit where it's due and it is due when you beat 3 teams of that quality in a row. Doesn't mean you have to change your overall view of him.

Man City lost to West Ham.... Spurs are currently sitting in 14th and Liverpool have been piss since Suarez has gone...

Compare to when we played Southampton and Chelsea the two teams actually living up to their potential and you see the credit comes from teams having bad form not Pardew. As usual luck is on his side...