Crystal Palace manager

Mick

Despite the irrefutable fact that they definitely do. Right oh.

Who in the prem uses FM to scout players?

Edit : please please let it be pardew!  :lol: :lol:

Everyone technically, doesn't that Italian scouting package utilise statistics from FM?

Guest firetotheworks

Despite the irrefutable fact that they definitely do. Right oh.

Who in the prem uses FM to scout players?

Edit : please please let it be pardew!  :lol: :lol:

Whoever uses Pro-zone for one. Everton have had an official deal since 2008, Mourihno has said in the past that he's used it unofficially as well, Solskaer has said he used it to help him move from player to manager. There's even the story of Alex McCleish (aye, McCleish) being told by his son (now a football consultant) to sign Messi when he was a kid and no one in the world knew who he was. (imagine :lol:)

It's all been unofficial, but they recently struck a deal for their data to be officially used by all Premier League Clubs.

Actually I am wrong, the Italian company is Wyscout - Pardew was raving about this last year. The software that utilises the Football Manager database is ProZone. The latter still has a pretty extensive list of top clients - Bayern, Arsenal, Chelsea etc.

Obviously they sometimes get is spectacularly wrong, but more often than not its fairly accurate - and obviously a great starting point for clubs. The researcher inputting the data will probably see every single youth and reserve match to make judgements. 

how up to date is this stuff? is updated regular? Im thinking a large part of scouting players is based on thier current availability- as there would be little point in say - needing a keeper ,finding one on a computer that sounds right, then discover in reality hes not available anyway.

how up to date is this stuff? is updated regular? Im thinking a large part of scouting players is based on thier current availability- as there would be little point in say - needing a keeper ,finding one on a computer that sounds right, then discover in reality hes not available anyway.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/inside-world-wyscout---tool-7554131

FM database tends to be updated a couple of times a year, it's incredibly labour intensive - probably why clubs are interested in it. Obviously actual packages like Wyscout will be updated several times a day.

Guest firetotheworks

It's released every year and gets updates whenever there are transfers etc, it's not really any less foolproof as in real life in that respect.

I imagine it's used as a base to work from and then they go from there with scouts etc. Total guess though.

I work for Sports Interactive who make FM and our database is now being used in conjunction with Prozone - http://www.prozonesports.com/football-manager-gets-real/

We did a documentary fairly recently that has some information about how we gather our researcher. Also one of the guys I work with worked as a Scout at Watford prior to their managerial merry-go-round earlier this season. I wouldn't claim FM is good enough of a simulator to prepare you for full time football management, but as someone has said, it will improve players knowledge of tactics and players in world football. We don't always get player potential perfect (Adam Campbell was rated as having the potential to be world class a couple of versions ago) but we do have a knack of finding these players long before others are aware of them. Players like Schneiderlin, Pocognoli and Kompany were all rated as very strong prospects long before they came to English football. Not to mention some of the 'bigger' names like Rooney, Messi, Robinho and CRonaldo being highly rated from a very young age.

End of the day FM and it's ilk can only give you an oversight into things like different training sessions, tactics and well everything else. It couldn't hurt a prospective manager but it's not going to make them or anything ridiculous. The best route by a mile is the Mourinho one really, but British football being what it is that'll literally never take off.

It sounds like its come a long way since I used to play on this. :lol:

http://www.mobygames.com/images/shots/l/120062-football-manager-zx-spectrum-screenshot-team-selections.png

Remember that well from my Spectrum 48k days  :lol:

Edited; K.Keegan, skill level 1, transfer value 5 grand. Not very realistic was it! A homeless alcoholic and a paedophile in that starting XI as well.

No one is saying that that alone would make a great manager, only that's a good tool to start from as a basis to learn from.

There's absolutely no reason you couldn't use that as a tool to learn the necessary basics before going on to learn the more advanced stuff like motivation and the general human element.

Id like to think your basic education of football would come from actually watching games.

I did include that in part of my initial post on the subject tbf, but I do question it with some of the managers at times :lol:

You are right though, I think the main theme of the argument is that IMO, you don't need to have played the game to actually become a successful coach/manager.

People completely missed the point of that post. It wasn't about video gaming. He was just talking tactics really, and the basics of setting up a team.

How much of the job do you really think that is though?  Getting the ideas through to the players and coaching them how to put them into action on the pitch is the important part of that which is missing.  Any of us could sit here and come up with a system and formation in about 5 minutes.

People completely missed the point of that post. It wasn't about video gaming. He was just talking tactics really, and the basics of setting up a team.

Any of us could sit here and come up with a system and formation in about 5 minutes.

Putting it into practice is entirely different though, as Pardew proves on a weekly basis :lol:

Any of us could sit here and come up with a system and formation in about 5 minutes.

Putting it into practice is entirely different though, as Pardew proves on a weekly basis :lol:

Finished 5th.

What on earth is that? How old are you people?

a most realistic football manager game, with 3d lifelike action.

http://www.fraserking.co.uk/spectrum/screenshots/Football_Manager2.png

This is what is inside Pardews mind when setting a team up. 

This is what is inside Pardews mind when setting a team up.

YES! he's right, this is how he see's football