Crystal Palace manager

Mick

One of the main problems over the last two years has been the failure of the team to compress, leading to the huge distance between the back line and the forward line.

He's been unbelievably lucky that the changes he's accidentally made recently have addressed this issue. I say accidental, because I'm sure it's not something that has ever bothered him or he ever wanted to change. Having the players spread out over the pitch leads to his holy grail – the scrappy, broken up game. Of course, it also made our team woeful and ineffective. But anyway:

(1) Taylor for Williamson. Williamson was so slow he'd try and stay very deep. On top of that, he'd never push up out of the box when we got possession at anything more than a narrow-eyed, resentful lurch. The back line moves out more quickly now and compresses the team.

(2) Change of front players. Getting rid of the forwards /  forwards-as-wingers who tended to push as high up as possible the second we got the ball and remain static, and their replacement with real wingers and a forward who can link up (Perez). These players all start a lot deeper, so the front line has been pulled back compressing the team more. As a result, there's sometimes more than two players in camera shot when Newcastle have the ball at the moment! 

Is the corner turned? No. He'll ride this streak out until it falls apart or he breaks it, learn nothing, and the 3-0s will start piling up again.

Great post this :thup:

“There are two types of coaches. There’s coaches like me who weigh up the opposition and ask the team to adjust. Fergie was similar. Jose [Mourinho] is similar. Then there’s Arsène, who won’t adjust. There’s Brendan [Rodgers], who looks like he won’t adjust. There’s Manuel Pellegrini, who looks like he won’t adjust, even in the Champions League. He seems to favour what he’s got. City are quite open.

“Their [Wenger/Rodgers/Pellegrini’s] philosophy is different to ours. Ours is more about who are we playing against. Their philosophy is more, ‘We always play this way’, and they won’t change, they carry doing on the same thing. That’s why you can beat them.

- Fat Sam

http://i.imgur.com/VDjowbk.gif

This guy compared himself to Alex Ferguson, while slagging off Wenger, Rodgers and Pellegrini.  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Allardyce is literally f***ing insane.

:lol:

I didn't even get it right. He actually compared himself to Ferguson AND Mourinho, while slagging off those three. Incredible stuff.

if allardyce has his main men fit when we play them i reckon it's our next 3 goal (or more) defeat, as shite as he is he's the type who'll be able to pick apart pardew's woefully one dimensional plan and exploit it's weaknesses

also in this 'run' :yao: we've not come up against a striker in form yet, last time we did southampton took us apart, it looked like spurs might have an attack on form but they didn't show up

One of the main problems over the last two years has been the failure of the team to compress, leading to the huge distance between the back line and the forward line.

He's been unbelievably lucky that the changes he's accidentally made recently have addressed this issue. I say accidental, because I'm sure it's not something that has ever bothered him or he ever wanted to change. Having the players spread out over the pitch leads to his holy grail – the scrappy, broken up game. Of course, it also made our team woeful and ineffective. But anyway:

(1) Taylor for Williamson. Williamson was so slow he'd try and stay very deep. On top of that, he'd never push up out of the box when we got possession at anything more than a narrow-eyed, resentful lurch. The back line moves out more quickly now and compresses the team.

(2) Change of front players. Getting rid of the forwards /  forwards-as-wingers who tended to push as high up as possible the second we got the ball and remain static, and their replacement with real wingers and a forward who can link up (Perez). These players all start a lot deeper, so the front line has been pulled back compressing the team more. As a result, there's sometimes more than two players in camera shot when Newcastle have the ball at the moment! 

Is the corner turned? No. He'll ride this streak out until it falls apart or he breaks it, learn nothing, and the 3-0s will start piling up again.

Great post this :thup:

It really is. Give me the pressing game any day. I'll take the odd unexpected loss any day to watch a team that pushed the opposition back and swarmed all over them like in Keegan's days.

Guest RJberger

I fucking hate Sam Allardyce, but he is 10 times the manager Pardew is.

Hell, Pardew isnt even a manager. He is a former player in a suit who tells people to keep it tight and nick one.

Just highlights what a "jobs for the boys" position being an average football manager really is.

Dont get me wrong, there are many good managers out there. But Pardew isnt a manager, he is a fucking fraud masquerading as one.

I f***ing hate Sam Allardyce, but he is 10 times the manager Pardew is.

Hell, Pardew isnt even a manager. He is a former player in a suit who tells people to keep it tight and nick one.

Just highlights what a "jobs for the boys" position being an average football manager really is.

Dont get me wrong, there are many good managers out there. But Pardew isnt a manager, he is a f***ing fraud masquerading as one.

I'm sure there would have been similar posts when Allardyce was manager here. Long ball up to Owen or Martins, Smith on the right of midfield..

I think the credit for the form this season has to go to Sheringham.