Crystal Palace manager

Mick

That "we're a mid-table team in mid-table" argument is so horrid.

- Firstly, even if we were, we're not trying to be better than that. We're not ambitious. We're mid-table with ambitions of being mid-table. It's horrid.

- Secondly, we're not a mid-table squad. Sure, we're not going to win the league. But the players on our books right now are good enough to have us challenging for a Europa League spot. We're not, and that's Pardew's fault. He's the weak link, the one thing we could replace and see an immediate improvement. It'd actually be harder to find someone worse, he really is a very poor manager so swapping would be of minimal risk.

- Thirdly, we play s*** football and are horrid to watch. Even if we finished in the same position (I doubt we would, but for arguments' sake) with a different manager, at least we could have some fun along the way.

- Fourthly, Pardew is a despicable human being who I cannot embrace in any way. I'd happily swap him for someone with the same level of (in)competence who was just a bit of a better person.

Any way you look at it, changing manager is a good idea.

Disagree with point 2. We've got a midtable team.

Its horrible how the wider football community don't see the other points.

In no particular order:

Krul

Coloccini

Santon

Sissoko

Anita

Cisse

De Jong

Yanga-Mbiwa

Ben Arfa

Perez

Cabella

Janmaat

(And possibly a few more)

Those players, IMHO, are a lot better than "mid-table". Many of them have been Pardewed, sure, but under a better manager they would in the future (and have in the past) played a shitload better than being able to finish 10th-12th.

Finishing 10th with that set of players doesn't mean that's all they're good for. They're underperforming because of a terrible manager who cannot get the best out of them because he either plays them incorrectly, plays them out of position, asks the wrong things of them or doesn't play them at all. See Man U in Fergie's last season and Moyes' only season to see how important a good manager is to a team. For me, he's the most important person at the club and really dictates how the players perform.

You skimp on one player, you have 1/11th of your team playing badly. You skimp on the manager, you have the whole squad underperforming.

Some fans are caught in a cyclical argument: Newcastle finish 10th, therefore Newcastle have 10th best squad, therefore finishing 10th is a good result. Newcastle fans should therefore be happy.

That logic, and I can barely even call it that, is fundamentally flawed.

We should always question and analyse, not just blindly accept:

- How can we improve?

- Where is the weak link?

- Why was our finishing position not higher?

- Where are we strong and where are we weak?

- Who should stay, who should go?

For me the answer is clear: Player recruitment is good, utilisation of said players is fucking terrible.

We don't have a mid table team. It's a top 8 team.

Top 8 or.. 8th strongest in the league? That's midtable.

City

Chelsea

Man Utd

Arsenal

Tottenham

Everton

Liverpool

West Ham's attacking options makes them a clearly stronger squad too.

IMO we are 9th strongest at best. Haven't seen much of Southampton. We are in that group of clubs that are midtable which could be in a relegation scrap with a few under performing players or poor management.

it's argument many of us have used over the years now, the ethos of the sport is to compete and improve

we're the antithesis of that and pardew is the leader

He just doesn't give a fuck about the fans, or the game itself. He cares about himself. He's a terrible manager with a good team. He can stifle expectation and get by on individual luck/brilliance enough to stay away from relegation, but not good enough to have any actually important matches. He doesn't want important matches because he's shit at them. Since no one in your media has a pair of balls, he can just skate by being terrible with no real fear of having to explain himself or his tactics. Combine that with an owner that just wants to promote his bullshit stores and it's a perfect storm of mediocrity.

Guest firetotheworks

Regardless of whether we have a mid table squad (fwiw I think it's better than that) Pardew has had a team squad capable of top 6 for the last 2 and a bit seasons and done fuck all with it because HE (not the squad) is massively incompetent at his job.

If Pardew was playing the right team every week and we were mid table I'd accept that. However he's shown that when he picks the right team we win games and then he reverts back to his shitty selections once he's bored of winning.

We don't have a mid table team. It's a top 8 team.

again, technically that is really the same as mid-table like

Perhaps, but in that case the argument doesn't work as Pardew's had us finish 8th or above only once out of 4 tries.  I realise you agree he's shit anyway, just saying.

That "we're a mid-table team in mid-table" argument is so horrid.

- Firstly, even if we were, we're not trying to be better than that. We're not ambitious. We're mid-table with ambitions of being mid-table. It's horrid.

- Secondly, we're not a mid-table squad. Sure, we're not going to win the league. But the players on our books right now are good enough to have us challenging for a Europa League spot. We're not, and that's Pardew's fault. He's the weak link, the one thing we could replace and see an immediate improvement. It'd actually be harder to find someone worse, he really is a very poor manager so swapping would be of minimal risk.

- Thirdly, we play s*** football and are horrid to watch. Even if we finished in the same position (I doubt we would, but for arguments' sake) with a different manager, at least we could have some fun along the way.

- Fourthly, Pardew is a despicable human being who I cannot embrace in any way. I'd happily swap him for someone with the same level of (in)competence who was just a bit of a better person.

Any way you look at it, changing manager is a good idea.

Disagree with point 2. We've got a midtable team.

Its horrible how the wider football community don't see the other points.

In no particular order:

Krul

Coloccini

Santon

Sissoko

Anita

Cisse

De Jong

Yanga-Mbiwa

Ben Arfa

Perez

Cabella

Janmaat

(And possibly a few more)

Those players, IMHO, are a lot better than "mid-table". Many of them have been Pardewed, sure, but under a better manager they would in the future (and have in the past) played a shitload better than being able to finish 10th-12th.

Finishing 10th with that set of players doesn't mean that's all they're good for. They're underperforming because of a terrible manager who cannot get the best out of them because he either plays them incorrectly, plays them out of position, asks the wrong things of them or doesn't play them at all. See Man U in Fergie's last season and Moyes' only season to see how important a good manager is to a team. For me, he's the most important person at the club and really dictates how the players perform.

You skimp on one player, you have 1/11th of your team playing badly. You skimp on the manager, you have the whole squad underperforming.

Are you okay? You've named 12 or so players. That's not a squad. 2 of your 12 aren't even in the squad. Another 2 haven't played all season. Vastly over-rating our squad too. Maybe 4 of our players would get into Everton's team. And another 6 wouldn't look out of place at Palace.

I really don't care if he goes on to perform like Mourinho as palace manager and is a massive legend. Anything that gets him away from being our manager will be one of the greatest things to ever happen to NUFC.

Honestly think the squad is average. No quality in-depth anywhere except left back and CM.

Need more quality and depth at CB. Only one right back. In midfield we lack guile but at least have options CM. Only 2 decent options upfront. 1 of which is a kid and another could easily go until the end of the season without contributing anything.

In terms of league position currently - we are doing fairly well. Even last season, the league finish wasn't far off par either. It's the other points that make it so bad. The football is awful and we aspire for midtable as such. Who does this? Traditionally Championship sides that spend a number of years in the division at midtable eventually try to aspire for more. Either in league finishes or style of football - see Stoke.